Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

1 watt 447nm Laser Pointers from Dragonlasers Now Available

I HIGHLY DOUBT they have corrective optics.

I mean, think about it. So much easier to pass the light through a metal hole, essentially "clipping" the output. That way you end up with a nice circle.

Makes sense as the 200mw and 400mw say "circular" but 1000mW says "rectangular" beam.

Also, I feel that selling a 445nm for anymore than $250 is just ripping people off.

So the arctic price hike is just bullshit. I mean it's a <$50 diode FFS...

Do these (spartan) use 18650s ?

you say its too dear but they dont have corrective optics? maybe they're dear because of that? it also makes sense that the corrective optics take enough of the power away that they cant offer it at 1W without overdriving the diode

now now. I've only canceled One of my WL Arctic orders :]

if after a week i don't receive my laser, or hear a single confirmation from Steve, I'll be canceling my original order I placed on the 12th of June.

Dragonlasers>WackedLaser anyday.

Re: Who else is jumping on the DragonLasers bandwagon. :)

Spartan Series Blue Handheld Laser, Rectangle Beam, Central Wavelength 447nm +/-5nm, Optical output power less than 1Watt

Looked at thread that was talking about this laser and they were really worried about the rectangular beam.

Heres the thread <----CLICK

Spartan Series Blue Handheld Laser, Rectangle Beam, Central Wavelength 447nm +/-5nm, Optical output power less than 1Watt

Looked at thread that was talking about this laser and they were really worried about the rectangular beam.

Heres the thread <----CLICK

what's the difference between Rectangle Beam as opposed to the Circular Beam

Must every blue laser diode related thread be filled with speculation?
If you want to know if they use "corrective optics" or not just ask! But please don't everyone do it. We don't want another WL communication mess. :rolleyes:

Must every blue laser diode related thread be filled with speculation?
If you want to know if they use "corrective optics" or not just ask! But please don't everyone do it. We don't want another WL communication mess. :rolleyes:

i don't think i can handle another 200+ page thread.

nobody knows anything, yet they feel compelled to tell you everything that's on their mind. *much like I'm about to do*

as far as the topic on the 447nm from DL, i have yet to find any detailed info on the difference between the two wave lengths.
srry. =/

i meant, what difference would it present in terms of divergence. larger? smaller? the same?

nothing any of you can say for sure without broad speculation I'm sure.
the smartass comment above isn't helping :)

Last edited:

i meant, what difference would it present in terms of divergence. larger? smaller? the same?

Well, based on the specs on CNI's website, the lower power models seem to have better beam properties, meaning these 1W Spartans are going to have the characteristic multimode diode output while the lower power pens (GLP or Aurora) will have a more corrected beam.

The cheeky bastard doesn't like someone else being a cheeky bastard towards him :na:

People want a thinner beam and better divergence. That's all it is.
These multimode diodes have 1 axis diverging faster than the other axis (a fast axis and a slow axis) which creates the "line" or "rectangle" beam.
With corrective optics, we could get a thin circular beam and equalize the axis' to diverge as one, thus slowing the rate of divergence.

IMO it's fine. All these years working with reds and blurays (which are also fairly rectangular) it's no big deal. My 445 stays pretty thin for as far as I can see it.

The cheeky bastard doesn't like someone else being a cheeky bastard towards him :na:

People want a thinner beam and better divergence. That's all it is.
These multimode diodes have 1 axis diverging faster than the other axis (a fast axis and a slow axis) which creates the "line" or "rectangle" beam.
With corrective optics, we could get a thin circular beam and equalize the axis' to diverge as one, thus slowing the rate of divergence.

IMO it's fine. All these years working with reds and blurays (which are also fairly rectangular) it's no big deal. My 445 stays pretty thin for as far as I can see it.

i just wanted a straight answer. if there really isn't much difference visually speaking, then I have nothing to complain about. :)

the fact that they stressed the issue on their website really made me question, which is why i turned to this forum.

thanks for the response nontheless.

i just wanted a straight answer. if there really isn't much difference visually speaking, then I have nothing to complain about. :)

the fact that they stressed the issue on their website really made me question, which is why i turned to this forum.

thanks for the response nontheless.
It looks fine to me really. I think people are overreacting to how "bad" it is :p
Just because it's different it's no good? Prejudice! :na: lol

It's something that, if I had the choice, I'd choose the thinner circular beam.
But it is not a necessity in my book :p
Not for this diode anyway.

well i never claimed it was bad or,, "good" for that matter. i just wanted your 2 cents on your humble preference between the two.

hearing that theres little difference between the two, and inevitability of getting the rectangular beam on the 1W model, I'm fairly content with both WL/DL choices.

this diode is a godsend. and it made a bright welcome into this decade.

Dragon Lasers is a reputable and well known reseller of CNI products. They said in the OP they would have specs listed soon, and are the only true reseller of the Spartan model, which CNI only offers to them/in the group buys here.