Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

1.9W Ehgemus 2X26500 Custom Host W/3XGroove 2 Drivers

DTR

1.9W Ehgemus 2X26500 Custom Host W/3XGroove 2 Drivers

p1013785.jpg

Alright folks here is a special treat. I have been thinking about this unit for a while now and finally got all the parts I needed to get it up and running. I was wanting a host that I could use four groove 2 drives driven by 2 26500"s in a sweet custom host. So I hit up Ehgemus and gave him my idea for a new design. As always he was enthusiastic about make something interesting for me and said he would get it going.:D

Host

About a week later I had so much going on I almost forgot about it and was really excited to see a PM from him saying it was ready. He sent me this picture.

4214-2x-26500-battery-host.jpg

Man this is just sweeet. It is going to be a true beast.:eg: Huge direct press head and that amazing looking body.:D When the unit arrived yesterday I decided to stay up all night getting it up and running.

p1013788.jpg

p1013783.jpg

p1013724.jpg

p1013695.jpg

p1013694.jpg

p1013696.jpg

p1013699.jpg

9hwf.jpg

Assembly

Here are the required components for this build. The host that is composed of these items.

The body, massive direct press head, focus adapter.

p1013642.jpg

The tailcap with Ehgemus's high quality forward clicky.

p1013678.jpg

You will also need some Groove 2 drivers and some half moon heatsinks for attaching the drivers to the inner walls of the host.

p1013677.jpg

I started out by setting my Grove drivers up. You can refer to the PDF on the Groove 2 to set the current.
http://hacylon.case.edu/ebay/laser_diode/Groove2 manual.pdf

p1013637.jpg

I used some thermal adhesive to attach the large chip on the top of the groove 2 to the little half moon heatsinks.

p1013632.jpg

So I thought I was going to be able to fit four of these in this host but unfortunately that was not going to happen so I had to alter my plans a little. This could have killed the whole idea but I noticed when setting the current on the Groove drivers that they go beyond the stated max current of 500mA to around 650mA. So this made the project viable again. I set each to 600mA and got a combined output of 1.8A.:D

p1013638.jpg

Now the most time consuming part of this build was getting the drivers bonded to the host walls and packing all the wires up in the host. It was not easy to get all the wires properly soldered together and organizing this rats nest of wires neatly in the pill. But it came out looking great.:D

p1013651.jpg

p1013653.jpg

Once this was done I pressed a diode into the massive direct press head. This is one of the most functional reasons to go with a custom host from Ehgemus. The direct press head not only being very massive itself on this unit but when it screws into the host it turns the entire body in to a heatsink that has a lot of surface area for dispersing heat.:can:

p1013660.jpg

Now I got the host and put some shrink tubing on the diode wires and soldered them to the diode.

p1013654.jpg

Now I have the diode soldered on just pack the wires down a little and give the head about 6 counterclockwise revolutions twisting the wires up and then putting the head in the host and let the wire untwist as you are screwing it in.;)

p1013659.jpg

Now the hard pat is over.:D

p1013682w.jpg

Just need to get a lens screwed into the focus adapter.

p1013681.jpg

Then put it in the host. Pop in your batteries and you are ready to go.;)

ympi.jpg

Beam Shots

p1013734.jpg

p1013718l.jpg

p1013729.jpg

p1013675.jpg

p1013725.jpg

p1013721.jpg

p1013727.jpg

p1013717.jpg

p1013676.jpg

p1013716.jpg

np30.jpg

p1013709.jpg

LPM Test

p1013668.jpg

Final Thoughts

This could be my new favorite laser. It is a close runner with the 1.6W 14650 host. But for me I have to have both. This thing has exceptional heatsinking and a very sleek look. Not only does it look good but it is truly very functional. I will always have one of these in my collection. I also want to give a big thanks to Ehgemus for putting all these great hosts together for me. He is one of the real assets this forum has to offer. Thanks for the great work you do man.:thanks:

I hope you all enjoyed this review I know I did. If you would like to see more reviews/tutorials see the compilation link in my sig.:beer:​

Last edited:

nice build. a couple questions... why did you use grooves instead of flexdrives? Also I thought Ehgemus made those self containing compartments in his hosts now to get rid of wire twist problems, but I dont see one on this host. Did you ask specifically for no self containing compartment?

DTR

nice build. a couple questions... why did you use grooves instead of flexdrives? Also I thought Ehgemus made those self containing compartments in his hosts now to get rid of wire twist problems, but I dont see one on this host. Did you ask specifically for no self containing compartment?

I wanted to use them set up in parallel because I have not seen it done before.;) Also this host uses two 3.7V batteries in series. That would be 8.4V when the batteries are fully charged and is 3V over the max voltage input of the flexdrive.

The self contained driver compartments that he offers on his host are sweet but not if you need to heatsink the driver to the host body. 3 Groove 2 drivers probably would be a tight squeeze even if you did not need them to be in contact with the host body.

cd520

Definetly one sexy unit there. Nice idea with the groove drivers. As I posted in your other thread about my next 445 build, it too will come from Ehgemus. ;)

I wanted to use them set up in parallel because I have not seen it done before.;) Also this host uses two 3.7V batteries in series. That would be 8.4V when the batteries are fully charged and is 3V over the max voltage input of the flexdrive.

The self contained driver compartments that he offers on his host are sweet but not if you need to heatsink the driver to the host body. 3 Groove 2 drivers probably would be a tight squeeze even if you did not need them to be in contact with the host body.

Doh.

Yea, i noticed that with the 5 groove host i got from him with the compartment. I was going to try the penny mod you did but realized the penny definitely would not fit in that compartment. Ill have to ask him for no compartment next time

jayrob

Your a building machine!

Pretty cool set up using the 3 groove drivers...

Great job as usual! :gj:

DTR

Doh.

Yea, i noticed that with the 5 groove host i got from him with the compartment. I was going to try the penny mod you did but realized the penny definitely would not fit in that compartment. Ill have to ask him for no compartment next time

Well now that I know for sure the flexdrives don't pump each others output you can get 1.8A without needing to heatsink the drivers. So If you are going for a dual flex unit the compartment is preferable.:beer:

Hell I was able to cram two drivers in compartment on the 1.6W Ehgemus 14650 pen host.:D

Last edited:
Well now that I know for sure the flexdrives don't pump each others output you can get 1.8A without needing to heatsink the drivers. So If you are going for a dual flex unit the compartment is preferable.:beer:

Hell I was able to cram two drivers in compartment on the 1.6W Ehgemus 14650 pen host.:D

I bought a 26650 battery and was going to get a ehgemus host for it as my first dual flexdrive build. I was considering not getting the compartment so i could sink the drivers (set at 900mah each), but i guess i could fit 2 sinked drivers in the compartment if you could get 2 unsinked in a 14650 host.

You say sinking is not needed for 900mah but my other build with a flex set at 1.1A only got about 1-2min duty cycles, so i was thinking of sinking all future builds just incase.

Last edited:

DTR

I bought a 26650 battery and was going to get a ehgemus host for it as my first dual flexdrive build. I was considering not getting the compartment so i could sink the drivers (set at 900mah each), but i guess i could fit 2 sinked drivers in the compartment if you could get 2 unsinked in a 14650 host.

You say sinking is not needed for 900mah but my other build with a flex set at 1.1A only got about 1-2min duty cycles, so i was thinking of sinking all future builds just incase.

You only really start running into driver overheating issues when approaching 1A+ with the flexdrive. But if you want to it certainly would not hurt it.;)

Great review, and another beast of a host!

Thanks for testing so many build variations; you're becoming the the one-stop-shop for build tutorials, at least for me anyway ;)

Everyone that bought a laser from DTR (I got his 2W Frankestein) knows that his builds are are very well made, nice and clean. I must congrat Ehgemus too because his host is super sexy. :)

Cheers

Blord

Oh man, my lasers look so dull compare to Ehgemus host. :D
Great build again !!:gj: