Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

1.6W RL-168 Compact 14500 Host

DTR

1.6W RL-168 Compact 14500 Host

opni5.jpg

p1016181.jpg

Here is a sweet little host I have been waiting for. It is the RL-168. I saw it on Kaidomain and liked the look of it. All of the RL series lights seem to make some great looking hosts. This one is a AA host and it is very compact. It has a sleek black body, a pocket clip, stainless steel retainer ring and a stainless steel clicky button.:D

Also I will be sending this off to Flaminpyro to have him make it a focus adapter just like the C88 but smaller. I will update with new pics when I get it.

Host

Here is a shot of the body off the internet. These are the pictures I saw when I was first ordering this host.

bb3b95f0afff506149b161d9d41d71ff.jpg

Notice the stainless steel clicky.:cool:

RL-168_2.jpg

Here is the pocket clip. It is removable if you don't need it.
p1016182.jpg

It is very comfortable to hold in the hand.

33vb.jpg

Here is a comparison shot with some other hosts that I have.

p1016188.jpg

Assembly

I sent the host to Flaminpyro and he made me a heatsink that fits perfectly snug. Thanks Jeff.:beer:

So here is how this host breaks down. Host body, heatsink, tailcap, head, pill, retaining ring and heatsink.

bt2rp.jpg

First pull the pill apart so you have the driver board and the threaded pill.

p1016111.jpg

On the top of the pill there are two holes that you can run the wires through.

p1016113.jpg

On the inside of the pill is where I am going to sink a flexdrive set to 1.5A.

oua4.jpg

Next I got my flexdive that I had set up and ran the output wires through the holes.

Next I got my thermal adhesive out an mixed some up.

o8o2.jpg

I spread a little on the surface inside the host.

p1016125.jpg

I set the flexdrive in the pill and kept pressure on it for 10 minutes as it dried.

p1016130.jpg

While the adhesive sets I moved on to the driver board. I started by drilling a hole in the center for the positive battery contact.

p1016134.jpg

I then soldered the negative wire to the two grounded solder blobs already on the sidewalls.

80pu.jpg

Then I fed the positive wire through the hole for direct contact with the battery.

p1016137.jpg

Then I dropped a blob of solder over it and the driver board is done.

r4do.jpg

Now all the battery connections are done.

p1016144.jpg

I pressed the driver board back in the pill and it is time to move on to wiring the diode.

x8fz.jpg

Now I have this nice little pill with two leads sticking out. I trimmed them pretinned the wires and put some heatshrink on them.

ctd20.jpg

Now I am ready to solder the leads to the diode. Since got a good amount of solder on the leads I dont need any on my iron and you just touch the iron to the wire till you see it melt and move it into contact with the pin. Making a great solder joint.

ueom5.jpg

I moved the heatshrink down to cover the pins and heated it up. And I am all but done.

1hg6.jpg

Screw the pill into the host.

p1016156.jpg

Screw the head on the the host.

1lo1.jpg

Put the module in the heatsink and tighten the setscrew down. Then gently push it into the head until it is all the way in.

yv2t.jpg

Screw the retaining ring down so the heatsink is nice and tight.

nxy6.jpg

Pop in a battery. I suggest for a build like this that will need about 2.3A to go with an unprotected AW IMR or something similar.:beer:

7dvg.jpg

Screw on your tailcap, pop in a lens and you are ready to go.:beer:

nqdo.jpg

Beam Shots
:eg:

p1016192.jpg

4vy3.jpg

zavf.jpg

LPM Test

I did a test with an Aixiz lens and was very happy with the results.:D

rqkv.jpg

Conclusion

I am very happy with this little unit. Very compact and has a great look. Yet another good choice in hosts. The unit looks great as is but I want to get a nice focus adapter for it as I think it would make it look pretty mean and it would make it easier to focus as the recess on the face is fairly deep. I will update with some pictures when I get them. It is a small host that is being over powered so think the duty cycle should be about 1min on 30 off. That is about it hope you liked it. Thanks for reading.:beer:​

Last edited:

Very nice job! I prefer the small hosts to the the big clunky ones.

Nice! Your latest builds make me want to get that second flexdrive do I can finish my dual Saik build. I've only had the damned thing mocking me for a couple months now. Maybe I'll just crank up the single flexdrive that's powering the diode in its temporary guidesman home. Decisions decisions....

jakeGT

You might sleep less than I do
Go to bed! Let somebody else build something every once in a while!

DTR

I start getting the shakes if I don't build something every day.:evil:

ped

Your builds look better (the wiring, construction) and more professional than most shop bought lasers.

+1 (when ive spread some around) :)

jayrob

Another nice build DTR!

Hey your RL-118 hosts and heatsinks should be to you probably today...

I just wanted to mention that there will be room inside the pill if you decided to do the driver mount thermal glued upside down on the inside of the pill the same as you did on this build... :)

LaZeRz

Have you recieved the focus adapter for this little beautie yet?

Cant wait to see how it's gonna look with the HYDRA focus adapter :D

+1

Last edited:

DTR

Have you recieved the focus adapter for this little beautie yet?

Cant wait to see how it's gonna look with the HYDRA focus adapter :D

It is on my list but I have not even sent it to him yet.;)