Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

1.6W Peak 445nm SS 18650 Jayrob host W/'custom 'Hot' option' heatsink on driver

Just finished my 445 build. Don't know how many mW it is throwing out, but it is an absolute cannon. My beam is actually very tight with the EZfocus adapter and the 405-G-1 glass. Blows through black balloons much, much faster than my 532, and that's all that really matters. I wonder if the folks at WL in China could see my beam from San Diego? :)

DTR

Just finished my 445 build. Don't know how many mW it is throwing out, but it is an absolute cannon. My beam is actually very tight with the EZfocus adapter and the 405-G-1 glass. Blows through black balloons much, much faster than my 532, and that's all that really matters. I wonder if the folks at WL in China could see my beam from San Diego? :)

Got any pictures?

GRAH!!! I want mine sooooo bad!!! :( Patience is a virtue though. I just "rebuilt" my ~180mw 532nm and have been tiding myself over so I'm not going insane, yet.

DTR

Patience is a virtue though

In this hobby it is a necessity.;) When I first got into lasers I could not handle the waiting for stuff especially from China. But now I just order stuff and forget about it. That is all you can do. Then when it arrives it is a pleasant surprise. Or not as much of a blow when it does not live up to my expectations.

I just might explode. I try to forget about it but then I look at the beam shots and, yeah. :/

Why do you wait to get an appliance? You can build your own laser to be proud of. That's the nature of this hobby.

HMike

I have to wait for parts, i.e. a laser diode because I don't exactly have a manufacturing plant in my backyard, or the means to buy a lathe and machine my own copper. I can make the flexdrive though, but no can do on the other things. I doubt you make your own diode either. I will build my own laser, the rest of the parts ship before the 5th. And I'm going to be so proud of it. I have its very own special electronic lock box.

so i just got mine today and built it and it works but it wont focus. halp?

jayrob

If the diode is pressed at least flush with the back of the module, it will focus...

If the lens is a 405-G-1, then you will need to remove the spring. Just use Teflon tape on the lens threads.

Also, to verify the correct orientation of the lens, see this picture:

Glass 405nm30.jpg

Last edited:
Got it to focus but the 405 g1 is so far screwed in to the module neither the ez focus adapter nor the AixiZ nut will work

Last edited:

DTR

Got it to focus but the 405 g1 is so far screwed in to the module neither the ez focus adapter nor the AixiZ nut will work

How did you press the diode? Is it flush or countersunk. I have not had any problems focusing with the Ezfocus and a G-1 in either case but if you did a flush install you could try getting one of the diode press tools from flaminpryo and that should solve the issue.

Or you could try to use a lot of teflon on the top of the lens threads that screw into the Ezfocus adapter so that it is extremely hard to screw it in and only do it a few turns.

jayrob

Yes, the Teflon is one way to easily fix the problem...

You can set it up so that the EzFocus adapter does not thread all the way onto the lens. Which will allow it to get focus as DTR mentioned...

Or, you can just use a very small amount of medium strength thread lock.

First put the lens in and get focus. Have it fairly snug with Teflon.

Then put the EzFocus on the lens using a small amount of medium strength thread lock, and let it dry in the desired position...

DTR

The thread lock is a good idea as well. A little more difficult to get off but why would you want to take your adapter off anyway?

I am still interested to hear how you pressed the diode.

I just did it flush with the module. The lens is so far screwed in to the module to focus the ez focus adapter won't reach it. I do have it focused to infinity though and man, what a cannon. :)