Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

1.5W Stainless Steel 14500 Ultrafire F22

Tonga

I think I'm real partial to stainless steel too:) it's all I use for hosts! I also love the smell of burnt gunpowder in the morning;)!!

DTR

It is not too bad. If you follow the steps above you should not have any issues. If you get stuck somewhere on the build shoot me a message and I will try to help.:beer:

Also as to your message on my visitor page yes I have plenty of diodes and drivers and you can send a PM to Flaminpyro about the sink if you want.;)

Thanks DTR!

BTW your build is a beaut!

Also, I don't have goggles, if I am not doing close up burning and just outside distance lasing, will I be ok until I get the goggles or is that something thats a MUST?

Where did you find that host? I can't seem to find it... and I love it! It's so clean and beautiful!

Hmm. Maybe I will be able to make something similar now that I have access to the student machine shop... :p

So it digitally regulates to put out 1200mA already then? This might be a good host for just a drop-in heatsink for 445s, no? 1200mA is a good 1W or so on a 445 with an Aixiz lens, so this could easily be commercialized!

That would be awesome ! I do know though that on high for about 15min this sucker gets hot! What would really be cool is if this could be a drop in...it would have strobe hi mid low and SOS. Ha it'd be a budget artic.

If this might be possible would anyone want to donate a diode to test? I don't want to fry mine. Maybe someone who has on that's close enough to its end where it's really not a loss if it fries. Just a thought.

DTR

So it digitally regulates to put out 1200mA already then? This might be a good host for just a drop-in heatsink for 445s, no? 1200mA is a good 1W or so on a 445 with an Aixiz lens, so this could easily be commercialized!

It is possible but I would want to put it on a test load to see if it really does before saying it should.;)

i think 1.5 w are too much for a such tiny host.... am i wrong?
i have a similar host that uses a 14500.... and at 550mw gets very hot ..... i can't imagine at 1.5w a such little host that kind of temperature can reach

DTR

i think 1.5 w are too much for a such tiny host.... am i wrong?
i have a similar host that uses a 14500.... and at 550mw gets very hot ..... i can't imagine at 1.5w a such little host that kind of temperature can reach

It will depend on the host and duty cycle you hold to. It is too much if you want a several minute duty cycle or more. But I did run it for about 2 minutes straight while taking beam shots without issue. I would probably suggest 60 on 30 off duty cycle for this unit.

Also do you know the current the diode is being run @ in your host. If it is say being driven @ 1A and an extremely inefficient diode only giving 550mW then more energy is being turned into heat and that could be why it is heating up so bad. Which could also be why he sold it for $100. Do you have a DMM to test the current draw on the batteries in your host?

1. The aluminum sink on the bottom, you just attached straight to the board?

2. Where do you get your thermal adhesive ?

3. "Next I strip the negative lead as it will be sandwiched between the contact board and the pill."
Do you solder the negative lead anywhere or just have it there and the host is case negative?