Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Z's 495nm Build

ZRaffleticket

Hi everyone! Got another post about these new fancy diodes we have.

This time, the new 495nm diode by Sharp:

The first thing you may notice is how green it is. And yes, it is green to me no matter how I look at it. Below is about as accurate as I can show the color using my camera/monitor:

So I would call this a mint green. I asked my neighbor what color he'd call it, "sea foam green" was his immediate response.

The host is a wonderful build by Rich (lifetime17). I had been bugging him about another host that's impossible, and after determining that I decided to ask for "something with a nice copper/aluminum mix". Not too long after that, Rich sent me pictures of this and asked me what I thought

Pretty easy YES to me.

As for where the color falls in place against 488nm, you have this:

And 520 vs 502 vs 495 vs 488 vs 485

__

And that's about what I have to share! a huge :thanks: to Rich, and a huge :thanks: to lazerman121 for the replacement diode (since I killed the first one accidentally...)

And last but not least, thank you Paul for testing the diodes that I bought and sent out to various members here :)

__

I have a few spare pics that I'd like to put into the review:

And as I always do, the link to the full album is here. I add to the albums every now and again.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Beautiful, Z! :beer:
That host from Rich is a nice compliment to this wavelength, makes for a real sharp looking package!
I think your neighbor is pretty close with with his choice of "sea foam green" color, heck, mint green is good too. :thinking:
:gj: +rep

Last edited:

blueasthesky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nice laser Z! 495nm is definitely a beautiful color. :)

-Alex

Lifetime17

Hi Z,
Wow that build came out sick really see all good things come to those who wait. Rushing is a recipe for disaster always take your time . In this hobby a mistake it very costly. But the outcome is delicious . Nice build enjoy love these new diodes and still look the 505's ..

Rich:)

CynicalBrad

Every time I see a build with these diodes, it makes me realize how much I need one for my humble collection. Great pics +rep when I can.

Reactions: GSS

Alex2893

How visable is the beam ? I bought a 495nm laser from Rich and im trying to picture how many mw I should expect and how visable the beam is. I know these are lower poweres diodess but in not sure if I should expect like 20mw 50mw or 100+ mw ?

paul1598419

Great review, Zach. I guess it is in the eye of the beholder as mine looks more blue than green to me. All I have to do is compare it to my 502nm build to see that. + rep. :yh:

@Alex2893

These are over 100 mW with the Nano Boost driver set at 275 mA. It isn't very visible from the side in daylight, but in a lit room it is more so.

ZRaffleticket

Thanks guys!

Edit: Paul - maybe mine is higher WL than yours. A few nm difference in this region is a difference between night and day. Been meaning to rep you for measuring the others but I don't rep enough other people here... Still love the color! I feel like I won't be touching my other greenies too much anymore after this

@alex2893 There's a couple factors that will affect that:
What driver do you plan on using, and how high do you plan on driving these? Mine is running using the nano @275mA.
I didn't measure the power on mine yet, but according to SinglemodeLaser's measurements mine should be somewhere from 125-175mW. Depending on luck of the draw on the diode and how much the lens drops the power. I'm using a 3-element lens. A few mW won't mean much in terms of brightness at these levels though :)

As for visibility, without smoke with low lighting:

And the same with the lights on:

Hope that helps,
-Z

Last edited:

Alex2893

Thanks guys!

Edit: Paul - maybe mine is higher WL than yours. A few nm difference in this region is a difference between night and day. Been meaning to rep you for measuring the others but I don't rep enough other people here... Still love the color! I feel like I won't be touching my other greenies too much anymore after this

@alex2893 There's a couple factors that will affect that:
What driver do you plan on using, and how high do you plan on driving these? Mine is running using the nano @275mA.
I didn't measure the power on mine yet, but according to SinglemodeLaser's measurements mine should be somewhere from 125-175mW. Depending on luck of the draw on the diode and how much the lens drops the power. I'm using a 3-element lens. A few mW won't mean much in terms of brightness at these levels though :)

As for visibility, without smoke with low lighting:

And the same with the lights on:

Hope that helps,
-Z

Yup Rich used the same driver. Thats more then I expected. Very very nice. Can't wait to get it now. Also should I assume the divergence is excellent becuase its single mode?

Last edited:

paul1598419

Hey, Zach. Do you get any of the rectangular artifact with the 3E lens? I used an acrylic for this very reason. I tried an aspheris and saw it, so didn't try any other lenses.

ZRaffleticket

Yup, the divergence is top-notch.

And yeah I have it... I'm using a 3-element since all of my (unused) acrylic lenses are in poor shape.

Last edited:

RedCowboy

Looks good, cant wait to see more 495 and 488 diodes on sale.

paul1598419

Yup, the divergence is top-notch.

And yeah I have it... I'm using a 3-element since all of my (unused) acrylic lenses are in poor shape.

Time to buy more modules. Or, I think Grix has some at 10 for $1.00. I go through so many modules I have acrylics coming every time I reorder.

ZRaffleticket

It'll be more modules first. I need at least two for the next iteration of sharp diodes. That or I need to unpress a few.

paul1598419

If you get copper ones from DTR they are $27.50 for five. If you want nickel plated brass they are ~$10.00 for five. I carry both types of modules because you never know what someone will want.

BobMc

Nice write up Z, great read and some nice pics. Love your compairsion shots. Enjoy your 495, it's in such a good looking host.

:gj: to both you and Rich.