Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Your Retarded!

It doesn't matter what the person saying has in their mind.

But isn't that the whole point of language?

I'd argue that's more important than the word's meaning itself. Mister Krogith's "your Retarded" for example... We knew he meant "you are". We (most of us, anyway :p) assigned more value to what was in his head than the word he used.

For me, what it boils down to is this: If they're not trying to insult you, why be insulted?

I'd argue that's more important than the word's meaning itself. Mister Krogith's "your Retarded" for example... We knew he meant "you are". We (most of us, anyway :p) assigned more value to what was in his head than the word he used.

For me, what it boils down to is this: If they're not trying to insult you, why be insulted?

Good Point.

And @ laserbee I wasn't trying to stir up something I was wondering if I just wasn't getting it right and someone might be able to explain to me how it's the same. But it seems I was right and they are not the same in anyway other than the fact they "Can/Could/Possibly" be directed at someone with malice intent. But other wise isn't anywhere near the same thing. (at least no one has made a good argument of it)

Does this mean I can't say the ignition timing on my car retarded? All this crap is ridiculous. Before you know it, some words are going to become illegal to say.

Last edited:
We are too protective as a society...
When I was in school and I did something
wrong as a kid... My father would show me the
road to being a better person with a smack of
his belt..

Today... try that with your own kids when they
need to be shown the right path... and they'll
have you thrown in jail....

No wonder a lot of kids today don't give a rat's a$$
about the right road...
They are legally protected by the liberal mentality
screwups that think those brats are "special"...

Words are next...................
[/rant]

Jerry

daguin

What is in another person's head cannot effect you, unless they are preparing to move to action/behavior that would prove dangerous to you or an innocent.

It doesn't matter if someone calls me a "guinea WOP bestid" and/or said it with the express intent to insult me. Does him saying it make me a guinea WOP bestid or does it make me feel insulted?

It is not important what is in their head (with the above danger caveat). What is important is what is in your own head. The words themselves are but the quacking of a duck.

The only person that can make you feel anything, emotionally, is yourself.

Fighting a word does NOT fight the concept. If you make people stop using the word "retarded" they will either come up with a different word that means the same thing or take your new word and use it the way they used the old word.

Is a person in a wheelchair; a cripple, handicapped, physically disabled, or differently abled? Does the choice of label change anything about that person's life?

Peace,
dave

i was in the gym once and talking to a guy, with "foul" language. I actually said "...that was fucking awesome." A lady next to me got completely offended and told me off for using such offensive language.

About 30mns later i see her in the lobby and she is on the cell phone screamin at somebody calling them a stupid moron. So naturally i confronted her. My context was positive and vague and she was belittling somebody. Her reaction was pricelss. She just told me that she didn't have time to argue and walked out lol.

michael.

People let shit get to them waaay too easy. I'm with HS. What is most annoying is when people get "Hugely offended" by something. It's like really??

Second, I got my as BEAT when I was little. I respect my elders, keep my pant's pulled up, and I work my ass off to help others. now days there are times when I see what happens when you don't beat your kids ass. You get arrogant little pricks running around thinking they are high and mighty.

Third, Retarded has two meanings. Mentally retarded people are the "Retarded" ones IMO because "Retard" does not mean Mentally Retarded. I had to retard my engine, therefore it is Retarded.

Being "Retarded" is not a disability.
Mental retardation - PubMed Health

Sidenote: I lol'ed at the ridiculousness of the video. +1

Last edited:
Interesting...

I always find it odd how people can get so worked up over a single word. It's already been said, but words are only as important as the meaning attached to them. The meaning though is flexible. To be offended by a word just because it can be perceived in a particular way... well that's retarded IMO.

In school I used to drive my teachers nuts. Well, mainly only the really boring english teacher... I would raise my hand, and very calmly say "Hey, did anyone else see that son of a bitch?" or "Hey look, a Bitch!" Reactions were priceless.

Special Olympics takes on word 'retard' - US news - Life - msnbc.com

I mean honestly, how retarded is that?

I'm fat, does that mean I should start a campaign to be called gravitationally enhanced? Or how about differently volume-abled? Oh wait, that might confuse people and make them think I'm LOUD!

Ok so from now on, all fat people will henceforth be referred to buoyancy enhanced:D

Interesting...

I always find it odd how people can get so worked up over a single word. It's already been said, but words are only as important as the meaning attached to them. The meaning though is flexible. To be offended by a word just because it can be perceived in a particular way... well that's retarded IMO.

In school I used to drive my teachers nuts. Well, mainly only the really boring english teacher... I would raise my hand, and very calmly say "Hey, did anyone else see that son of a bitch?" or "Hey look, a Bitch!" Reactions were priceless.

Special Olympics takes on word 'retard' - US news - Life - msnbc.com

I mean honestly, how retarded is that?

I'm fat, does that mean I should start a campaign to be called gravitationally enhanced? Or how about differently volume-abled? Oh wait, that might confuse people and make them think I'm LOUD!

Ok so from now on, all fat people will henceforth be referred to buoyancy enhanced:D

^^^ THAT LINK Priceless!!)

People with "intellectual disabilities" themselves really mounted a movement that they did not want to be referred to with the word 'retarded

ARE YOU kidding me, I have Never Heard of the Exact Term "intellectual disabilities" And that is the same a Mentally Retarded :banghead: Lol they just like the Big Word intellectual and feel it make them smarter... I wonder how many can really Say that Word Clearly :thinking:

I referred to someone the other day as "mentally challenged".

Oh no, that wasn't the current PC term! How many times can you change a word until it becomes it's own antonym? I suppose we will find out in time.

^^^ I like you avatar better than the last... I still liked the original best... you should make a Laser Related one, if your not going go back to the 1st one...

EDIT: Oh I know make a Laser shot out of the eye when it opens, or have it open then like the pupil flash red and then shot a beam out towards us

Last edited:
People just want to make themselves feel better by trying to start some initiative. This is one example.

I referred to someone the other day as "mentally challenged".

Oh no, that wasn't the current PC term! How many times can you change a word until it becomes it's own antonym? I suppose we will find out in time.

what is pc? oh wait, it is something the media made up. because i know i havent seen one pc politician in the news lately. especially guys like governer weiner showing his weirner lol.

michael.

what is pc? oh wait, it is something the media made up. because i know i havent seen one pc politician in the news lately. especially guys like governer weiner showing his weirner lol.

michael.

Yeah If that isn't Worthy of being called "Retarded" I don't know what is...

Last edited: