Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

You never know whats inside

Can't believe that worked. I'm still hoping my laser will work if not I'd have to sell it to you to get things fixed

Hi,
First of all i didn't create this thread to bash anyone, just to show how folks have ideas about building. Now i didn't ask the gentleman from who i purchased the unit from to divulge who he bought it from that was of his own free will, i didn't care who or were it came from. Form was messy but function was fine i admit that. So Jstr don't be angry with me if i buy a unit from a private sale i never say who sold it to me because of things like this. If your name didn't come up nobody would have know the original builder. Now you know were I'm coming from. Now thats out of the way, hey i have some nice small copper bars great for sinking driver IC's would you like a few for future builds??

Rich :)

Attachments

• IMG_0974.JPG
    IMG_0974.JPG
    183.3 KB · Views: 81
Hi,
LaserbeamK If you take your time with a build and have it mentally figured out thats half way home. Then you can tweak and modify your conclusions. Don't undersell your self I'm not the perfect builder i still have setbacks on some builds, and I've build many lasers. Check out the 10x sinner beam expander thread i have you'll like it.:lasergun:

Benm

I'm not saying you should have hidden it. I'd say that anyone producing laser pointers on a commercial scale would probably hide a solution like that, not because it doesn't work, but because it looks like some last minute fix. I din't mean "came to light" as in you got "caught doing something wrong". Perhaps it sounds a bit different to native english speakers - i'm dutch and it is a very common expression here that does not have to be negative per se, it can just mean a neutral "was discoverd".

Fixing it like that in a build isn't bad since it clearly works. Only problem comes when it gets sold, sold again and eventually ends up with someone that expects a 'less experimental' product.

It's a bit like homebuilt circuits vs factory made one. I sometimes end up soldering capacitors to the bottom of circuit boards, resistors in odd angles, point to point wires and all such things when prototyping. In the end the product works, but if i were to build more of it, i'd re-design the thing so that everything is placed 'properly'.

Even with mass producted items kludges aren't that uncommon though, order some random electronics from china and you'll find a few. Some of them are kludges that work fine like yours, some are less reliable ;)

Hi Benm,
I just can't build and whatever comes from it that's it. If it doesn't come out the way I want it I'll take it apart time and time again till it is right. Working or not it bothers me a lot knowing that I myself could have did better, that's me. I take pride in my builds even though nobody sees inside, I know what's In there and that's what counts. Hope you understand where I'm coming from. I've always been that way...
Rich :))

I'm not saying you should have hidden it. I'd say that anyone producing laser pointers on a commercial scale would probably hide a solution like that, not because it doesn't work, but because it looks like some last minute fix. I din't mean "came to light" as in you got "caught doing something wrong". Perhaps it sounds a bit different to native english speakers - i'm dutch and it is a very common expression here that does not have to be negative per se, it can just mean a neutral "was discoverd".

In English or at least in American English the expression "came to light" can be negative or not depending on how it's used. If someone wanted to refer to it in a negative way such as if someone was hiding something that was later discovered then we also have the expression "caught with your pants down" also a "smoking gun" refers to evidence of wrongdoing, originally referred to evidence of a crime but is more widely used now. Neither of those apply in this case since Jstr didn't "hide his tracks" and he has "shed some light" on this by explaining. :crackup: Sorry for the English lesson, I couldn't resist.

Alan

Jstr

^lol pi r squared

And thanks for your offer, Lifetime, but I have already gotten some myself :)

And sorry, I guess that post came off as angry, but I'm really not.

I'm happy that you have a great laser now, inside and out.

Thank you for clarifying Benm. I misunderstood your meaning, sorry. Also, Yes, it was purely experimental.

Last edited:
hi,
Alan thank for the back up pal your to funny almost pissed my pants. You sure do have your way with word I'm impressed LOL !
Jstr, i know you didn't mean it that way you wanted to justify your case thats cool.
Everyone is entitled to it right or wrong not saying. Your cool with me brother..

Rich:)

Last edited:

Benm

In English or at least in American English the expression "came to light" can be negative or not depending on how it's used. If someone wanted to refer to it in a negative way such as if someone was hiding something that was later discovered then we also have the expression "caught with your pants down" also a "smoking gun" refers to evidence of wrongdoing, originally referred to evidence of a crime but is more widely used now. Neither of those apply in this case since Jstr didn't "hide his tracks" and he has "shed some light" on this by explaining. :crackup: Sorry for the English lesson, I couldn't resist.
Alan

Tnx, always good to learn a bit more. If you are ever bored google for literal translations of dutch expressions, many of them are really funny when translated word for word.

Good one in this case would be "lets cover it with sand" - which could be anything in between 'forget about it' and 'bury the hatchet' ;)

Hi,
id like to show you a few pics of what happens when you buy a laser from an unknown source. i will have to modify a few things to get this build the way it should be.

I know you said unknown but I assume you mean not well known so... where did you get it?