Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

You guys may find this light with a 5mw red laser I bought at walmart interesting.

joeyss

It's a Rayovac 9 led light that takes 3x AAAs and has a run time of 7 hours , but after you press it again it switches to laser mode. The laser is red and is sure as hell 5mw. It even seems brighter. It says 650+/- 10nm and I compared it to some 1mw reds on my 2 IR thermomters and it seemed to be a slightly lighter shade of red. Not as drastic as a 630s vs a 650s , but it seems to be closer to something in the 640s as i even get a fain beam in my dark yard. It also went for well over 200 feet in darkness.

It was only ~7 after tax and imo worth it since you save money by being able to use AAAs and it's actually a bright red dioide. says class 3a less than 5mw. You literally have to pay the same price as a cat laser if you buy a button cell one each time the batts go. Just thought i'd share it with you guys.

The nice part is it stays on and you have 2 switches so you could use this as a dual laser build since it kinda looks like a laser host already.

Attachments

• laserend.png
    laserend.png
    693.3 KB · Views: 300
  • P1070514e.png
    P1070514e.png
    752.5 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:

gozert

Would be cool to build a more powerful laser in it instead of the 5mW one. What I would do myself is, if possible, replace the 5mW with a 1W 640nm. After that I'd replace each LED with a 640nm LED. Then if I ever see police driving towards me, I'd just switch it to the LED mode.

If it would work, not sure. But definitely cool to try (and to avoid people/police).

joeyss

Would be cool to build a more powerful laser in it instead of the 5mW one. What I would do myself is, if possible, replace the 5mW with a 1W 640nm. After that I'd replace each LED with a 640nm LED. Then if I ever see police driving towards me, I'd just switch it to the LED mode.

If it would work, not sure. But definitely cool to try (and to avoid people/police).

There's no way this could handle 1 watt of of red.

50mw of 638nm

maybe

but i like this laser since it's a good way to test optics without putting myself at danger from an intense speculator reflection.

Might be worth putting a 5mw 520 in.

gozert

There's no way this could handle 1 watt of of red.

50mw of 638nm

maybe

but i like this laser since it's a good way to test optics without putting myself at danger from an intense speculator reflection.

Might be worth putting a 5mw 520 in.

Because of overheating issues or because you can't fit a driver in it?

It was only ~7 after tax and imo worth it since you save money by being able to use AAAs and it's actually a bright red dioide. says class 3a less than 5mw. You literally have to pay the same price as a cat laser if you buy a button cell one each time the batts go.

Two of my three red lasers use three button cells, and to make things worse they each use a different button cell. One is a cat toy quality laser and the other one is much higher quality. I was getting robbed at first buying replacement batteries at Walmart, then one day they stopped selling those button cells. After a couple of months of needing new batteries I finally looked online, just look on Amazon and search for LR44 or LR41 bateries or whatever size you need and you can buy them in packages of 50 for a small fraction of the price you pay in stores.

Alan