Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Yet another - Wicked Lasers Arctic Spyder III laser review - [very image heavy!!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZapU

I don't think the Spartan's lens is very good. Divergence is twice as bad as an Arctic, the lens is inferior and not interchangeable with standard lenses like the Arctic. Here's a post about the lens:

i dont know what the 1watt version looks like but this is all thats inside the 400mW version

spartandiodelens.jpg

Well if that's a single element lens, there are far less losses on the lens, and higher output with same current is achieved, increasing overall efficiency of the system.

Besides, if you need to replace the lens in the first place, it means something is wrong anyhow. Ability to replace the lens, hence, is not that great.

ZapU

The Jayrob 405-G-1 is a single element lens and does improve the performance. I have one in my G2. But it comes at a cost in terms of divergence. So if you don't like the bad divergence of a single element lens in a Spartan, there is nothing you can do about it. If you want a single element lens for more power in an Arctic, you're golden. Choice is good.

The Jayrob 405-G-1 is a single element lens and does improve the performance. I have one in my G2. But it comes at a cost in terms of divergence. So if you don't like the bad divergence of a single element lens in a Spartan, there is nothing you can do about it. If you want a single element lens for more power in an Arctic, you're golden. Choice is good.
I'm going with good old "If it ain't broken, don't fix it".

Perhaps I'll try to get to my lens in the Arctic later, just to see if I could possibly replace it.

But for now, 700-800mW of power is good enough for me.

Oh, about the power measurement in video done, 760 mW, I have measured one bluray laser for Rob here, it showed 270mW, and he measured exactly 300mW on his LPM.

So that's indeed -10% of error and most likely places my Arctic somewhere around 800-850 mW .

Which is again more than dangerous.

This is it, people. Post number duo corrected.
Just a bump to let you all know.

If there are any questions, ask me, if you have any more requests for information about them, ask away and I'll do my best to provide quick and accurate feedback (requestion pictures and stuff, also will do :) )

Aso, your honest opinion of this review. My style of writing, and overall job, whan improvements need to be made - just hit me directly.

ReNNo

I'm glad that you received another free sample. Now you can pay all taxes you got with first free sample.

Strobe mode on high power looks odd.
Maybe this sample has bigger capacitor at output and it takes some time to discharge it.
I can notice similar behaviors with my custom 445nm laser and I use 3.3,10 and 330uF capacitors at output. That is only explanation in my mind.

Kevlar

I thought this was a very fair review.
thumb.gif
+1.

Like has been said, this isn't a review for WL the company but of only one laser they sell.

I thought this was a very fair review.
thumb.gif
+1.

Like has been said, this isn't a review for WL the company but of only one laser they sell.
Exactly - this was my only dealing with WL so far and as you can see, I don't have a say in discussing their ethics and policies.

But so far, they have proven to be uhh "mediocre" for the cost of lasers they sell.
Laser without a box and all.

But the units themselves are fantastic except some bugs here or there, mentioned in the two posts.

Thanks for +1rep.

Status
Not open for further replies.