Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Yet another laser incident.

NKO29

The police helicopters have AMAZING cameras equipped here in AUS... They can CLEARLY see faces from crazy distances and i was lucky enough to be shown this :)

Just a thought...Why is it always green lasers being shone at aircraft?

The police helicopters have AMAZING cameras equipped here in AUS... They can CLEARLY see faces from crazy distances and i was lucky enough to be shown this :)

I would think it would be because people mostly buy green lasers since they are the brightest and they can see a beam easily.

Not for sure though.

NKO29

True and i guess to the laser uneducated that may be all they know apart from red...

True and i guess to the laser uneducated that may be all they know apart from red...

Most likely :)

I mean if you are just going to buy a laser to act stupid and shine it at aircrafts and endanger many lives nobody is going to spend $xxx for a rare wavelength.

Edit: What is most important is that it would be best if this behavior stopped, this is immature and is only causing unnecessary problems for hobbists and air transportation in general.

Last edited:
Last edited:

I'm inclined to agree with Greenlander. That guy seems to be sensible enough to know not to shine it at a landing plane. That laser was clearly trying to hit the pilot, not just happened to flash through the sky real quick.

I heard about quite a few of these cases recently. These morons are the reason we'll all lose our laser privileges. DO NOT SHINE YOUR LASERS AT AN AIRPLANE. At that point, you're labeling yourself a terrorist, trying to crash passenger planes. Don't be stupid!

The green attacks are common enough, back in August there was a blue laser attack at DIA. this fast tracks all the negative attention and brings these "dangerous high power lasers" out into the public eye, not a good thing. It's bad enough everyone wants to ban them just by the actions of people with weak little reds and greens, but if everyone knew there are handhelds with orders of magnitude more power, a ban would and will be demanded faster. "for your safety"

I was reading somewhere about a pilots group of some sort in England that wants to make even just possession of a handheld an arrestable offense

The green attacks are common enough, back in August there was a blue laser attack at DIA. this fast tracks all the negative attention and brings these "dangerous high power lasers" out into the public eye, not a good thing. It's bad enough everyone wants to ban them just by the actions of people with weak little reds and greens, but if everyone knew there are handhelds with orders of magnitude more power, a ban would and will be demanded faster. "for your safety"

I was reading somewhere about a pilots group of some sort in England that wants to make even just possession of a handheld an arrestable offense

When it comes down to it, in the eyes of our countries leaders, what's more important between people losing out on a hobby, and less planes crashing? It's obvious which is more important.

This is ridiculous. i wish people had the sense to have responsibility and not ruin things for everyone. i mean what kind of entertainment is it to blind a pilot? wish society was a bit more educated or at least have respect towards others.

Sure Sure. However, to date, zero planes have crashed as a result of a laser attack. I'm not saying the potential isnt there, but as with most things, the media blows the threat out of proportion. consider how much damage could be done with a gallon of gasoline, yet no one wants to ban gasoline. the reasons are obvious and while the comparison isnt really fair, my point is we should punish behavior not objects. lasers have plenty of legitimate uses and have even helped save lives. there was a guy lost at sea recently who used one to signal a plane for help, it's possible without it he'd have perished. someone should ask him what he thinks about banning lasers

Last edited:

Because they're easily obtained online & very affordable, most kids who get their hands on these aren't really aware of or interested in laser safety :( Also the first question most 14 yr olds have when playing with a laser outside at night is 'can it hit an airplane?' - only one way to find out.

I really doubt it could have been him. If you look at the video the laser is clearly being aimed into the sky and at no point is it either turned off/pointed down.

The video they used to show what a green laser looks like from the ground is unrelated to the story, that was shot from a helicopter not an airliner ;)

Thanks for sharing the update madmac, I think that kid did the right thing by coming forward despite his still likely being prosecuted to some extent for the incident

:beer:

Last edited:
as i read more and more of these stories it just sounds like all the attempts at gun bans. some idiot uses it for a bad use and media states how that object did it all. but when in truth these people will do what they want with whatever they can get a hold of. I agree completely people should be punished for these actions. Seems people get away with more things then they should.

as i read more and more of these stories it just sounds like all the attempts at gun bans. some idiot uses it for a bad use and media states how that object did it all. but when in truth these people will do what they want with whatever they can get a hold of. I agree completely people should be punished for these actions. Seems people get away with more things then they should.

That's actually a good comparison. Gun Bans, and Laser Bans, that is.

it is a good comparison, but only difference is a lot more people like guns. This keeps the ban from happening. The laser scene doesnt seem to be as large and the ban would more then likely be accepted.

" lose our laser privileges"
Privileges ???? Since when?
Privileges are granted by someone
in government, usually not elected, and
they are allowed to control you with no
constitutional power unless YOU allow it.
HMike

Last edited: