Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

(Yet another) First laser thread: LaserGlow <5mW lasers...worth the extra $$$?

damnbiker

I'm looking to pick up a <5mW green laser for star gazing. LaserGlow has a nice selection, but I had read in the "GUIDE: Which company shouold I buy from?" thread that they are no longer producing qualiy lasers. Is this the case for all of their lasers, or just their higher powered offerings?

Has anyone had any recent dealings with them? Their customer service seems pretty good so far and, with an appointment, they will allow local pick up. They're not too far from me, so this is a bonus.

For the price I know I could get a bunch of cheap Chinese lasers, but these ones have some nicer features, specifically the 100% duty cycle of the Galileo and the APC optical feedback that they all claim. They even have an IR filter (though I don't imagine there would be a lot of IR generated on a less than 5 mW laser. Are they worth the extra cost?

This will be my first laser pointer, so I thought that getting one less likely to blind me wasn't a bad idea, that's why the <5 mW choice. I'm also looking at the Samwu 304, but assume that the build quality isn't going to match The Laser Glow, and I didn't see anything indicating an IR filter on their website. I've read the 'Getting my first laser guide', I know that the Sanwu 304 is recommended, but I don't mind spending a little more if it means I will get something that will last longer. Same reason I'm looking at the LaserGlow.

Buffo

I didn't see anything indicating an IR filter on their website.

I can't really comment on either the Sanwo or the LaserGlow, but you should know that an IR filter is only relevant if the green laser pointer you're looking at is a DPSS laser. If it is a direct-injection diode laser, it will not have an IR filter as there is no need for one.

DPSS green lasers output a beam at 532 nm. Direct-injection diode lasers output a beam at 520 nm. So if the pointer you're looking at lists the output wavelength as 520 nm, there won't be an IR filter. ;)

Adam

I’ve dealt with them a lot throughout the years and have spent a lot! I didn’t find their customer service (via email) to be anything great, if anything, it was pretty bad. Days would go by before either having to send another email or getting a reply.

I don’t know. Their laser pointer selection is only a small portion of what they had and the prices are astronomical! Their 589’s used to sell for hundreds less back 2014-2015.

However you pay for a quality laser. All the lasers I’ve owned from them worked flawlessly for the time I owned them 🙂

-Alex

Anthony P

I have dealt with them a few times over the years. I have no complaints. They do have restrictions on what they will ship depending on where you live.

damnbiker

I can't really comment on either the Sanwo or the LaserGlow, but you should know that an IR filter is only relevant if the green laser pointer you're looking at is a DPSS laser. If it is a direct-injection diode laser, it will not have an IR filter as there is no need for one.

I should have specified; both of these are 532 nm green lasers. So I assumed that they were DPSS.

damnbiker

I have dealt with them a few times over the years. I have no complaints. They do have restrictions on what they will ship depending on where you live.

Thanks for the reply. I'm near their location so I'd just go there to pick up.

damnbiker

What about the Laserglow Anser?
I looked at that one, as well as the Lyra. They do seem like better values except for the 100% duty cycle listed for the Galileo. The Anser and Lyra also take AAA batteries, which is a bouns as I could use rechargeables. The Galileo uses a larger capacity CR123A, which has the benefit of lasting longer, but a rechargable 16340 battery operates at a higher voltage (3.0V for the alkaline vs ~ 3.7 V for the rechargeable), so I might be stuck with buyinig disposables. I'm not certain if the extra voltage would cause a problem with the electronics.

I actually have a flashlight on order that uses two CR123A batteries and am looking into the possibility of using rechargeables in it as well. I'm not sure if the extra voltage will damage the flashlight either. I've seen a video of somoene suggesting using a 16650 in place of the two CR1213As, but I think that would underpower the diode as you'd be supplying 3.7 V instead of the 6 V.

I like Laserglow.
My first green laser was the Galileo probably about 14 years ago.
It was a good purchase. The quality is much better than the cheap stuff. Worthwhile, in my opinion.

Encap

Thanks for the reply. I'm near their location so I'd just go there to pick up.

Best dea--go there and take a look at all of them and see which one suits you best--they are all going to be very good quality.
Don't forget to ask question while there---they can tell you al about each item the sell, no problem.

Good luck

damnbiker

I like Laserglow.
My first green laser was the Galileo probably about 14 years ago.
It was a good purchase. The quality is much better than the cheap stuff. Worthwhile, in my opinion.

Thanks for the feedack, it sounds like a good option to start with. I've already ordered the 304 532 nm 80mW laser from Sanwu; but I'd still like a lower power laser as well, especially if I'm stargazing with friends and I want to hand it to someone else to point something out. And I'd have the ability to get a laser in my hands before the Sanwu gets here, probably in a month from now.

Razako

Laserglow sells high quality sub 5mw lasers. I've never had issues with those. The problems begin when you go into the category of their higher powered units. They charge ridiculous prices and won't ship them to the USA.

damnbiker

Laserglow sells high quality sub 5mw lasers. I've never had issues with those. The problems begin when you go into the category of their higher powered units. They charge ridiculous prices and won't ship them to the USA.

Thanks, I ended up ordering a couple 5mW pointers from them, and I finally got my Sanwu 80mW today. The 5 mW was plenty for Astronomical viewing. I can't wait to get back up north and try the Sanwu. Unfortunately I ordered one with a pattern cap figuring they would send an extra cap, but I just got the one with the pattern only.