Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Yellow/orange laser from blu-ray

I know people have noticed a slight yellow or greenish color sometimes around the blu-ray laser dot. With these glasses all of the violet and blue wavelengths are blocked. Look at what gets though. A nice orangish yellow dot.

Things

yeah i noticed the same kinda thing from the red laser in my RGY after passing through the dichro. Its kind of hard to explain, but what i think is happening in your case, is that the BR light is causing some of the other laser die's in the same can to lase, either by just flourescent means, or maybe some current is getting through. Lasers are only one wavelenght, so its impossible for the BR chip to emit orange light too

I don't know where it is coming from. Probably from the other dies like you were saying. I tried to get a beam shot with a think smoke inside of a bowl but it is such a small amount of light.

Benm

How did you make those shots? Did you point the laser through the glasses onto a wall and took a picture, or did you point the laser onto a wall and took a picture through the goggles?

That looks exactly like the yellow that comes from my dead blu-rays.

Switch

Benm said:
How did you make those shots? Did you point the laser through the glasses onto a wall and took a picture, or did you point the laser onto a wall and took a picture through the goggles?
It looks like he's shining the laser through sunglasses(I guess, cause those do a good job at filtering UV and violet) and onto a piece of paper.

Can you tell if it's coherent? I mean is it really a collimated laser beam? :-/ I wonder if BR burners to this on a higher level...Then maybe you can have a BR burner and a yellow pointer in one :D

Yeah I think it is coherent. It is still a dot across the room when focussed properly.

It's very strange...I'm doubtful that this is a laser beam, but the images show the opposite :eek:
Yellow-orange laser diode doesn't exist... :eek: ..the problem is to find the right semi-metallic compounds with the right energy gap between them.

This happens with all blu-ray? Now I don't have mine here to confirm :-/

Benm

I am actually very surprised if you can see the dot on a wall like that when shining the laser through goggles, sunglasses or any other filter. It is quite normal for such filters to fluoresce when it by UV light, but that would not result in a collimated beam coming out the other side.

All in all its a very puzzling effect, though i'm quite convinced the diode cannot be lasing at both wavelengths at the same time. But if its emission from impurities in the diode junction it is very surpising that it can be focussed across a room like that.

Ace82

Benm said:
I am actually very surprised if you can see the dot on a wall like that when shining the laser through goggles, sunglasses or any other filter. It is quite normal for such filters to fluoresce when it by UV light, but that would not result in a collimated beam coming out the other side.

All in all its a very puzzling effect, though i'm quite convinced the diode cannot be lasing at both wavelengths at the same time. But if its emission from impurities in the diode junction it is very surpising that it can be focussed across a room like that.

I agree. I just tried that with my blu-ray and goggles, it does create aN orangish light, but is not collimated. Despite how dim dot is, it expands like a well focused LED would.

Everyone always talks about the yellow in their blu-rays, but I haven't been able to see ANY in mine. I just tried as hard as I could on multiple surfaces. I need to try that sunglasses trick now and see if I get the same result....

Benm

Ace82 said:
I agree.  I just tried that with my blu-ray and goggles, it does create aN orangish light, but is not collimated.  Despite how dim dot is, it expands like a well focused LED would.  

That would be it then, just emission at unwanted wavelengths similar to what occurs in blue leds. Still interesting that it's that noticeable, and i guess the amount and color of this phenomenon varies a lot between diodes.

Wow. I gotta try this... I'm a man of explanations but I have absolutely no idea about this.

I tried this today in the store. I pointed it through about 25 pairs of sunglasses. Ones that said 100% UV protection, other with no protection. I spent about 15 minutes at the sunglasses ;D

ANYWAY... I got NO yellow spot from mine. In the 100% UV blocking glasses I got a very faint normal colored dot, and in the normals I got a normal colored dot that was about 50% brightness. I think my diode is weird.

Well it's running at 50mA. ;D

I've tested mine and it does also emit yellow light. But not much, I can't quite make it visible across the room. I don't think it's coherent, it just wont collimate.
I did something that you guys n gals might thing is stupid, I looked straight into the diode up close (with my goggles of course). It's quite amazing, you can see where the yellow light is coming from and it does look very similar to a LED. I really think it is LED emission.

Switch

Well, you shoud've at least used a camera instead of your eye ::) Anyone with a good macro camera to catch some shots of this? :-/ I vaguely remember you styropyro having a decent camera that seems like it could catch this phenomenon well enough.I would like to see some images of this whether it's dead or living diodes ;D