Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

X-Drive wiring questions

Hi guys,

I really need to get this 445 built today, but I am wondering about one of the details.

I've got a pretty standard build going here where the diode case will be electrically connected to the battery minus in a 18650 (P60 style) flashlight host.

I have used my DMM and it reports that the V- and LD- terminals on my X-Drive are continuous.

Here's the question though. Can I solder my case pin to LD- or do I need to wire the case pin to V-?

I do have all 4 leads attached to the driver, so I guess I can just be safe and connect V- to case pin and be done with it, but I'm a bit OCD and I've done stupid wiring jobs in my lasers before and I just want to get it right.

Can't get a hold of Mr. Lazeerer as of late. I'm sure he's busy working on more awesome drivers.

Last edited:

There's no need to use the case pin at all. You only need solder your LD- and LD+ to your diode anode and cathode pins...AFTER SHORTING THE LEADS!

That is unless you've isolated something we don't know about..

Well, the diode doesn't appear to connect its case to its - pin (I still cannot remember which is cathode and which is anode, sorry).

Edit: verified with DMM

Last edited:
Well, I did get it working. LFL G2 lens in the mail, but it ignites white paper incredibly easily with a 3-element lens. Probably producing about 2.1W if I had to guess :D

flaminpyro's excellent high density copper heatsink does a fantastic job cooling the beast of a diode.

Last edited:
I hear what you're sayin'. Jeff's work is top of the line, and I am a copper lovin' man! Wenol to keep it clean and free of oxidation. ;)

Yup the HS has been sitting on my desk for a few months for the rest of the build to be readied. I know that the thin layer of oxidation does not affect heat transfer, but it definitely will benefit from a polishing product.

If you connect the driver to the ld case pin you need to solder the neg and case pins together. The purpose of this is to make it easier. Your host becomes part of the circuit. You don't need to use the case if your building an open laser and are not using a host.

Your dmm saying that your driver is continuous is because the drivers resistance is probably lower than 200ohms.

Hi guys,

I really need to get this 445 built today, but I am wondering about one of the details.

I've got a pretty standard build going here where the diode case will be electrically connected to the battery minus in a 18650 (P60 style) flashlight host.

I have used my DMM and it reports that the V- and LD- terminals on my X-Drive are continuous.

Here's the question though. Can I solder my case pin to LD- or do I need to wire the case pin to V-?

I do have all 4 leads attached to the driver, so I guess I can just be safe and connect V- to case pin and be done with it, but I'm a bit OCD and I've done stupid wiring jobs in my lasers before and I just want to get it right.

Can't get a hold of Mr. Lazeerer as of late. I'm sure he's busy working on more awesome drivers.

Well that's just the thing, I don't know if *for this driver* the LD- and V- are one and the same or not. If they were, then the case pin and diode LD- pin can be soldered together.

If it was in any way easy for me to do it, I would use my DMM to test the voltage difference between the V- node (battery -) and the LD- node (the diode minus pin) during operation. But with a 2+W laser this is not easy to do safely.

Anyway I did it the "safe" way which is connect V- to case pin and the LD+/- to the LD's + and -. The laser is brighter than I recall my other M140 which I ran at the same current (but in a less beefy host), it is running very reliably.

My question still stands. Do I treat LD- and V- as the same electrical node or not? If the driver schematic is available, that would be an easy question to answer. Otherwise somebody who is familiar with it, or the creator of the circuit should provide an authoritative answer and explain why.

Last edited:
Put pics please. I'm not great at electronics. It sounds like you are now direct driving your diode