Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WTT - 7W IR C-Mount diode, for MODC 12mm Mounts

rhd

I have a few "7W" C-Mount IR 925nm diodes from the Huurersciences auction. I was skeptical of their power rating, but I've been able to get them to lase with 4.5 A of current (the highest I was able to supply) and they're certainly stable at that amount of power. So while the 7W might not be realistic, I would bet that these can do 4W of output, maybe 5W.

At any rate, I'm dying for some 12mm C-Mount housings / mountings. I've designed a few versions with eMachineShop, but I just don't have the $500 + to shell out on actually getting a batch produced.

If someone is able to make me a few 12mm Aixiz-Compatible mountings for C-Mount diodes, that would fit in traditional hosts (that we would otherwise use Aixiz modules and 5.6mm diodes in), I'll trade one of my 7W C-Mount for a couple of the mounts.

I don't care if someone uses my design, or has their own approach - as long as it results in a 12mm C-Mount housing that I can use for a few builds.

Let me know if you can help! My sense is that this exceeds the abilities of a lathed part, and probably requires some CNC action.

ARG

What lens will you use for that kind of output?

Last edited:

rhd

I'm going to try some crude tests tonight with a C-Mount Arctic Silvered to a regular aixiz module. I'm assuming a typical glass lens will be the starting point.

HIMNL9

Hm, if they are C-mount diodes, i highly doubt that you can place one of them in any 12mm host ..... you need to keep in considerstion the whole diode body, and considering that the chip is on one of the external faces, there's not too much to do, about the dimensions .....

What i mean is this:

ephxc8.jpg

Considering that the LD chip need to be kept central, if you want a standard shape (and central output beam), you need an INSIDE space, in the module, of at least 14.5mm of diameter (can be some decimals more, the C-mount standard can go from a minimum to a maximum of dimensions, about the lenght of the holder) ..... and, actually, there is no ways for made a 14.5mm hole in a 12mm space (not yet, at least ;))

Maybe if the diodes are the reduced c-mount (c-mount-s) type, it can be done, also if it's still a bit difficult ..... the chip holder in this case is smaller, as you can see in this draw (but i don't know if high power units are made in that shape)

2j61xy9.jpg

(draws are indicative, not very precise, i know ..... i made them on-the-fly just for give the idea, sorry)

rhd

Hm, if they are C-mount diodes, i highly doubt that you can place one of them in any 12mm host ..... you need to keep in considerstion the whole diode body, and considering that the chip is on one of the external faces, there's not too much to do, about the dimensions .....

What i mean is this:

http://i54.tinypic.com/ephxc8.jpg

Considering that the LD chip need to be kept central, if you want a standard shape (and central output beam), you need an INSIDE space, in the module, of at least 14.5mm of diameter (can be some decimals more, the C-mount standard can go from a minimum to a maximum of dimensions, about the lenght of the holder) ..... and, actually, there is no ways for made a 14.5mm hole in a 12mm space (not yet, at least ;))

Maybe if the diodes are the reduced c-mount (c-mount-s) type, it can be done, also if it's still a bit difficult ..... the chip holder in this case is smaller, as you can see in this draw (but i don't know if high power units are made in that shape)

http://i54.tinypic.com/2j61xy9.jpg

(draws are indicative, not very precise, i know ..... i made them on-the-fly just for give the idea, sorry)

You're correct - the C-Mount needs to overhang the rear of the module, and the module thus can't be entirely inserted within the heatsink. Unfortunately this is unavoidable.

See diagrams:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/pseudo-groupbuy-modc-12mm-module-c-mounts-65905.html

But it's the price that is to pay for having the ability to mount these diodes in traditional 12mm heatinks.