Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WTB; prism

madog

Looking to purchase a prism and perhaps some other laser effects. If you have something that fits the bill let me know. Thanks in advance

Not to hijack your thread, but I've read that there's a prism into which you can fire two lasers of different wavelengths from the two sides, and they will be combined (e.g. Green through one side, Red through the other - Yellow is produced from another side).

Anyone know what this prism is called, and where it can be purchased?

DJNY

Not to hijack your thread, but I've read that there's a prism into which you can fire two lasers of different wavelengths from the two sides, and they will be combined (e.g. Green through one side, Red through the other - Yellow is produced from another side).

Anyone know what this prism is called, and where it can be purchased?

Dichro550

A dichro (I assume in this case 550 is the optimal wavelength it is coated for) is a mirror of sorts, it allows one wavelength to be reflected while two others can pass, so a dichro for reflecting green would be "refl. green pass red/blue". What you're thinking of is a PBS cube, and they can be bought from various sources, there are very tiny ones in sleds, I think the biggest are from the old KES sleds, but even then, big is only 3-4mm across.

Usually the "best" (i.e. most available and cheapest) way to get a cube like that is from a bluray sled. They're often small, but they're workable. Buying PBS cubes from companies like Thorlabs or Edmund Optics can be very expensive.

You could also buy some dichros from Daguin's bits and bobs sale, which he harvested from those A140 projectors. They've plates of glass that pass one wavelength and reflect another, so that you can pass light through one surface, but reflect light from another source off it so they combine. Note that aligning these dichros and their light sources is not a trivial task, but could be pretty rewarding if you get it right.

Dont forget optotronics has a very good selection of large and reasonably priced prisms, and other optics.