Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WTB: Ophir Heads, Ophir LPMs

You know a good spectrometer can give you real time relative power instantly. That is what I use when trying to determine if a DPSS laser is jumping around.

He repossesses them into underspec, and very pricey non-negotiable Ophir LaserBees from what I can gather. He is not willing to do any deal of the sort...from what I can gather. That route is dead.

Thank you Lifetime but I am well aware of LaserBee at this point. The thermopile is too slow for me.
Would you like to clarify this obviously false statement ????
You seem to be whining about the fact that you want a high
quality high priced OPHIR Head LPM for ~$20...

Yeah.. and I'm looking for a Lamboughini 5000s for $2000.
Time to wake up and smell the coffee Snecho...

,you're getting 4 data points in 60 seconds. Simply not useful for creating LPM graphs imo. Even the 100% response time of 10-12 seconds on the LaserBee II is too slow, the Ophir does a 95% response time in 0.8 seconds

Are you comparing a Professional Commercial OPHIR Head to
a Hobbyist LPM ???
BTW our Graphing software does not take a reading every 15
seconds as you suggested. It records a reading every second.

Our LaserBee II has a 90% response time of 3-4 seconds...

Our Newport 1825C we use in the shop daily has a true response
time of ~5-6 Seconds. Our over $2500 Coherent Fieldmax II
has a true response time of ~2-3 seconds.

We tested many OPHIR 20C heads and the true response time
is closer to ~2-3 seconds.

I do agree that for unstable DPSS type Lasers a fast response
time is crucial.

Jerry

Last edited:

Are you comparing a Professional Commercial OPHIR Head to
a Hobbyist LPM ???
BTW our Graphing software does not take a reading every 15
seconds as you suggested. It records a reading every second.

Our LaserBee II has a 90% response time of 3-4 seconds...

Our Newport 1825C we use in the shop daily has a true response
time of ~5-6 Seconds. Our over $2500 Coherent Fieldmax II
has a true response time of ~2-3 seconds.

We tested many OPHIR 20C heads and the true response time
is closer to ~2-3 seconds.

I do agree that for unstable DPSS type Lasers a fast response
time is crucial.

Jerry

Hi Jerry
I was wondering when you were going to intervene and set the record straight.
Thank You Rich:)

I actually only saw this yesterday...
How's it going Rich ? Hope all is good. ;)

Jerry

While I won't speak for Snecho's statements, my statements were not intended to be offensive to LaserBee or Jerry. I was merely pointing out reasons why Snecho would desire an Ophir head over a LaserBee thermopile... which, as Jerry mentioned, is a commercial grade product. It should be pretty obvious why Snecho would prefer an Ophir head :p

@jerry, I wasn't saying that your software response is slow. I was intending that if a thermopile cannot attain an accurate response within a reasonable time, then the resulting graph does not really represent the performance of the laser. Even if the datalogging software polled the thermopile's data every millisecond, if it takes the thermopile 15 seconds to reach the true output power, then those milliseconds don't really matter all that much, as the graph that you see is a rolling average of the laser's output power with a time-averaged window 15 seconds long

So then the question becomes, what is a "reasonable time" for a thermopile to reach the true output power? IMO, anything over around a second is too long, especially if you're trying to do something resembling closed-loop feedback - for example, adjusting a drivers' potentiometer on the fly. But, that spec is expensive to attain, and everyone has their own priorities in their purchases, so to each their own 🍻 personally, I think the response time of the LaserBee II is probably good enough, but I already have an Ophir-based LaserBee 😉 I just would not recommend the LaserBee A10/AX/AX3/3.7W USB ones that take 30-40 seconds to reach 100% response

Snecho

I have no clue what to make of this post?? Is it a dig to Jerry??
To slow in response time???? To measure your 2 301's units and the 1 Thor you have????
Jerry was very willing to work with me and give me a deal on his units, i'm not talking about 10% off either.. He did NOT want any reviews in his dealings with me, nor does he need any because he sells a great product.
He also was involved a bit in me getting a LPM from Lifetime17:) He obviously saw right threw your nonsense and didn't even bother to waste his time..

Your postings and rants about a perfect meter is like someone wanting to buy a fantastic top notch $100,000 engine Dyno without even having a car nor a motor or nor a garage to put it in:rolleyes:
Thanks as always GSS for a hurtful and condescending reply. 💔
It is not a dig to Jerry, nor have I "ranted" about a PERFECT meter. Your assumptions about what i'm trying to measure is not only wrong but in ignorance. You and others don't know what I need an LPM for, nor what I WILL need an LPM for. You have falsely accused me multiple times including of lying about what lasers I have and have been proven wrong and with not even an apology. I don't stalk your threads nor I go you your house and belittle you for whatever you own. I only ask that you return the favor.

"He obviously saw right threw your nonsense and didn't even bother to waste his time.."

Oh? and what nonsense are you talking about? The fact I wanted to find more information?
Hi GSS
I also read that to pay no mind obviously he can’t afford a real LPM so he’s knocking Jerry’s thermopiles
I have his units and they are great fast responsive time
You can tell from what he wants to LPM cheesy 301 lasers
Rich:)
Maybe you're just piggybacking off GSS but where is this coming from?
What do you call a "real LPM"?

I'm "obviously knocking" Jerry's thermopiles because they are a bit too slow in my opinion?

How do you know what I can and can't afford? Do you know my bank account balance, my income, my rent? I think not. Is this just a jab at my lack of knowledge and sincerely trying to learn more information?

"You can tell from what he wants to LPM cheesy 301 lasers"

As with GSS, it is wrong and rude of you to assume what I own. Did you visit my house? Do you know what I have or what even my plans are? I think not...

No hard feelings eh?

Jerry
Yes I would like to clarify.

I was hoping you could sell me just a Laserbee without the thermopile so that I could hook it up to an Ophir as suggested by another member.

It has since been automatically deleted from my inbox but I believe In our emails, therefore I asked if there is a way to buy a Ophir head and a Laserbee and if it was possible if I could plug the two together. If I recall, you kindly stated that you have made Ophir equipped ones before, that Laserbees and their thermopiles are pared together..etc. To answer your question, I made that statement because you said you would put together a Laserbee with a Ophir head and sell it to me for ~$750 and that I would have spend the hundreds more because I would have to provide the Ophir. And also that it would be limited to about 7W or under.

"You seem to be whining about the fact that you want a high
quality high priced OPHIR Head LPM for ~$20..."

And why is that? Maybe it seems likes I'm "whining" about this because I'm not, nor was I willing to spend $1,000+ for the same setup offered in the B/S/T section for $300-$400.

I don't know what to say.
Hi Jerry
I was wondering when you were going to intervene and set the record straight.
Thank You Rich:)
Oh and set what record straight exactly? That Snecho is a sleazeball for wanting to buy an LPM?

Overall what did I do to deserve this wet noodle beating? Wanting to buy an LPM that fit me as it is an investment? My lack of knowledge and wanting to learn more? My difficulties and disability of processing such information? My saying the Laserbees are a tad too slow? Talking about how Jerry was wanting to sell me his version of an Ophir LPM for $1,000?

I don't know.

it is Justified?

I don't know.

Sorry for responding to this matter late as I only now overcame the anxiety of first reading this thread.

💔

Last edited:

GSS

Snecho, what is bothering you to post again on a thread that has been covered by you already??
Are you just trying to make waves or are not feeling well?
Iv'e certainly have apologized nurmerous times and have welcomed you as a asset..

Snecho

Snecho, what is bothering you to post again on a thread that has been covered by you already??
Are you just trying to make waves or are not feeling well?

Answer: Daily Double
Sorry for responding to this matter late as I only now overcame the anxiety of first reading this thread.

💔