Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WTB: Green diode

J_Dogg

Anyone know where I can find a green diode for a laser pen, at a good price ??

Thanks
Jason

daguin

Green diodes are NOT available to enthusiasts yet.

Peace,
dave

I don't think green laser diodes are available to anybody yet. I can get you blue-green laser diode though, just send me a paypal payment of $20,000 please.

jake21

unless he means the kind that comes out of a cheap green laser pen ? and if so i have a few ican sell

daguin

jake21 said:
unless he means the kind that comes out of a cheap green laser pen ? and if so i have a few ican sell

Those are NOT diodes.

Peace,
dave

daguin

styropyro said:
I don't think green laser diodes are available to anybody yet. I can get you blue-green laser diode though, just send me a paypal payment of $20,000 please.

I know that micro diodes are being made already. They are destined to make your phone be able to project pictures. Also, there is some problem with a patent on the process to grow (and/or dye) the crystals for green diodes. IIRC, the patent is held by some research professor and she isn't ready to give it up for what ha been offered.

(damnable professors anyway)

Peace,
dave

J_Dogg

Yeah, I have a green pen laser that the diode is bad that I need to replace.

jake21, I will PM you.......

the diode you need to replace is not a green diode. it is an IR diode.

You see, green pens work by sending IR laser light through a series of crystals, and then the wavelength is converted to the green range. So it goes from IR to green.

Blue lasers work the same way.

This process is VERY inefficient, and so for 200mW of IR you get like 5mW of green (rough estimate lol)

so if you want a green laser module, then DX sells em. If you want to repair your green laser, you need an IR diode (usually can be found on ebay)

regards,

amk

C

carulli

I have a 55mw green laser module from a 55mw wicked laser. that is working except for the driver (I know its the driver because when i was puting it back together i broke a small component off it Most probelbly a voltage regulator as it has 3 pins). WL seid that it needs to be run at 600ma.

diachi

Thats not a green diode ::) its just a small green module.

Things

No green diodes are avaliable yet, not for any kind of price anyway. All green lasers you see are either a gas laser, or DPSS. No such thing as a diode green yet.

It would be nice if green diodes really existed - Everybody at LPF would discuss their new DIY greenies. :D

Geen diodes will probably not be mass produced as reds and blu-rays, perhaps if laser TV turns out to be a good idea. But as it is now, there is just no use for them.

Green laser diodes don't exist yet.  They just don't.  People are working on them, and they will be useful in projectors, TVs, displays, etc, so they would be mass produced for those things.  There are some real engineering challenges in the way of making green laser diodes, because it's very difficult to grow material in the right range of properties for green stimulated emission (with gallium nitride, putting enough indium in to get the bandgap low enough has proven thus far difficult to impossible with laser structures, for a whole host of reasons).  

daguin said:
[quote author=styropyro link=1215380897/0#2 date=1215381807]I don't think green laser diodes are available to anybody yet. I can get you blue-green laser diode though, just send me a paypal payment of $20,000 please.

I know that micro diodes are being made already.  They are destined to make your phone be able to project pictures.  Also, there is some problem with a patent on the process to grow (and/or dye) the crystals for green diodes.  IIRC, the patent is held by some research professor and she isn't ready to give it up for what ha been offered.

(damnable professors anyway)

Peace,
dave[/quote]

Gertrude Rothschild.  http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/pos...e-could-block-blu-ray-cellphones-imports.html

Although she's claiming a whole heck of a lot more than just green laser diodes.  She's claiming she owns patents on the entire basis for gallium nitride device fabrication.  Basically, to my understanding, she started getting lots of ideas about how things might work in the future and how wide bandgap semiconductors such as gallium nitride might be used, and patented these things, well before Nakamura made them work for the first time, and well before the current revolution (she is 80 years old, after all).  Of course now, most any semiconductor device (LED of laser) that emits light in white, violet, blue, green, yellow, UV, is made from gallium nitride using ideas that she claims she patented.  Could get very interesting.