Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WTB/Feeler: Nichia 365nm LEDs

Krutz

I am having a hard time sourcing any of the Nichia 365nm LEDs, be it the "smaller" 325mw or the newer 950mw version. -->Nichia
Those are really strong, emit almost no visible light at all, and are far more powerful and efficient than other manufacturers models.

Does anyone want to sell one of these?

Any shop known which sells the LEDs only?

If all these fail: Groupbuy?
They have their price though, 100$ is the minimum to expect for the smaller version..

Manuel

I'm into esoteric LEDs, Krutz, so I'd be interested in a GB. Nichia doesn't really do group buys for mere mortals though. I'd talk to Roithner Lasertechnik.

Count me in for a group purchase, as long as the price are reasonable :)

I have some in a TO-92 can with a glass lens how many do you want ?

I am having a hard time sourcing any of the Nichia 365nm LEDs, be it the "smaller" 325mw or the newer 950mw version. -->Nichia
Those are really strong, emit almost no visible light at all, and are far more powerful and efficient than other manufacturers models.

Does anyone want to sell one of these?

Any shop known which sells the LEDs only?

If all these fail: Groupbuy?
They have their price though, 100$ is the minimum to expect for the smaller version..

Manuel

Krutz

..thats more response than I expected, great! :)

Flaminpyro, I guess your LEDs have a lower output than those two I linked, with 325mw or 950mw optical output! what model are they exactly?

manuel

Krutz

..I made a new thread for a possible GB, HERE, in the proper forum.
Hope its not considered doubleposting, will (re)move this thread here if asked.

Manuel

What sort of application requires low power point-source UVA but doesn't work with 395nm?

Krutz

with 250mw to 1 watt optical power I would already call it "high power" :)
(otherway its hard to justify the costs, not?)

well, fluorescence of course! with such a low wavelength, you dont need to block the UV with glasses the same way as with 395nm. no yellow googles needed. you SHOULD protect yourself from the 365nm radiation, but "clear" (plastic) googles are enough for this.
then, of course, many things fluorescene at 365nm which dont at 395nm. I have a tiny 365nm 5mm LED flashligh, its amazing what kind of things you find on passports, bills and similar.
I experiment with fluorescence and minerals, and there the fun really just starts to begin at such low(er) wavelengths! :)

in short: nothing totally new with these LEDs, but everything will be more fun!

manuel

ostbey

I recently bought two Nichia UV LEDs NCSU033B for a UV diving lamp project of mine, through Nichia Europe BV (Netherlands) for € 81.82 a piece, without any problems, after I asked them for a quote through their inquiries link.
The LEDs came by air mail directly from Japan; customs VAT was € 31.00.
Just wanted to let you know; the prices seem to have dropped a bit from what I have seen in the beginning of this thread.
My charge number was AA5059-UaP7M. This means (see NCSU033B specs):
AA=produced October 2010, Ua=365nm, P7=270-310mW, M=3.6-4.0V.

ostbey

If you want to see what underwater fluorescence looks like (which is what I was using the Nichia UV LEDs for),
and why some people say that it is like being in the movie "Avatar",
have a look at this video of mine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V9TCdCbX6U
This video was made with blue light (around 450 nm) instead of UV, however,
because the fluorescence is much stronger with blue light,
apparently because marine life has adapted to the properties of water,
which is more transparent to blue light than it is to UV.
Enjoy!

Last edited: