Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WOW slow-mo lightning strike 100,000,000 V

It ain't a laser but it's bright, it's dangerous and it's awesome :eek:

i saw this video on a different site, it looks like fireworks at the beginning.

why this is just simply amazing ;D the first part is craaaazy lol how it trickles thru the sky :eek:

awesome! but why does it just stay still for the last 10 seconds or so?

I've seen lightning hit trees less than 150 away from where I was standing (thankfully indoors, or I might not be here typing this!) and it sounds like a bomb going off...cool though to actually see what happens when it strikes.

Kenom

I'm kind of wondering if this is real footage or not.  You can see what looks like to be fake tree's in the foreground.  What this reminds me of is a company that uses an I think electron eccelerator to charge some acrylic and then you tap it with a nail, which discharges the electricity and permenantly captures the lightning in the acrylic.  It does this kind of in the films of it.  I'll try to post link to the company.

http://205.243.100.155/frames/lichtenbergs.html

^Those are pretty sweet. I'd seen them before, but had forgotten such things existed. Thanks for posting! But I think it's real, I think the trees just look funny from the complete lack of perspective available in videos like this.

As to why it stays still in the last 10 seconds, it takes time for the charge to move through the path from ground to cloud. Like all electricity, the flow follows the path of least resistance. Once this channel is formed by the ionized gas (aka plasma), that path has a MUCH lower resistance than any other air around it, so the path of the electricity doesn't change. It stays in the same place, it just takes it time for the charge to all move. This is extremely slow motion, so the time we're looking at in the whole thing I imagine is less than a second in real time.