Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Would you use your laser for self defense?

I have ankle pockets on the pants I wear 90% of the time (the only other 10% is because I have to wash them, stupid hygiene...) and I have a knife in one of those pockets. I'm also not bad with my feet. Though, it would only really be helpful in a bar brawl or something to that effect, you don't really get mugged much down under.... unless you like taking walks at night in Kings Cross... :-?

Diacihi AND charleytown55il, you beat me to it, I was going to make a witty comment about using the Herc as a bat until I saw your posts. ;D

If I had the opportunity to save myself with my laser, then heck yeah I would. You could flash blind the thug and then beat the idiot to death. The guy who can see generally has the advantage in the fight...

iewed

A swift flick of the wrist with a 300mW+ laser would probably distort a crowd of people. I'd use my laser if someone
A.  Broke into my house
B. Put my family in danger

But besides that, I could probably kill the average joe-mugger with my keys, or a rock on the floor.

It does not matter how tough some is because they can all be blinded just the same. So if I was attacked or somebody else was attacked then I WOULD lase them.

--hydro15

Time for VI's 1% substance.

A knife is actually more useful up-close than a gun. If you are defending your home for example, you need something that can take someone down quickly and minimises collateral damage such as a pump shotgun with hollowpoints, or a Bowie knife. A sword would be difficult to use in corridors, a pistol of insufficient caliber won't take down a charging assailant unless you have IRL aimbots or something... and the more powerful lasers would be equipped with annoying safety features eg keylock, delay. Course, I don't live in a country where everybody sleeps with a Spas-12 under their pillow, so how would I know? ;D

Razako said:
[quote author=Petrovski link=1215103329/12#16 date=1215108263][quote author=Razako link=1215103329/12#14 date=1215107848][quote author=laserlover link=1215103329/0#10 date=1215106679]i wouldn't use the laser because if i got sued for it afterward then i would be put in jail and fined for having a laser of really high power, and i think jail would be worse than death,
Are you serious?  Just hide the laser really well after the incident and let the cops try to find it ;D
Btw what is the thug with the knife going to say in court?  "oh I was robbing this guy with a knife and he took out his laser and blinded me"[/quote]

He's going to say he's innocent and only wanted to ask for directions, when suddenly this guy blinded him with an illegal laser pointer. He'll present medical evidence that shows a scarred retina caused by a powerful laser. The knife has been discarded of course, and he denies carrying one at the time. There are no witnesses of the event. Good luck![/quote]
The laser will also be "missing" and he won't be able to prove that your laser caused the burns.  Your word against his and who are they going to believe?  A fine outstanding citizen or the thug who probably has a criminal record ;)[/quote]

Hehehe yeah maybe. But what if this 'fine outstanding citizen' is exposed as a 'laser freak'? Several illegally imported lasers without FDA certification can be traced to you (creditcard/paypal buys), and you are linked to several internet forums where people post polls with questions like "would you use your laser as a weapon?", tutorials about making dangerously powerful DIY lasers are posted and where info about avoiding getting caught by customs can be found.

Indeed nothing more than circumstantial evidence, but it is very likely to undermine your credibility in court. Still your word against his correct, but I wouldn't be that sure you'd have a good case. :p

Petrovski said:
[quote author=VillageIdiot link=1215103329/36#37 date=1215146881]Time for VI's 1% substance.

A knife is actually more useful up-close than a gun.

Famous words: don't take a knife to a gunfight.
[/quote]

Well sure, from a metre or more away you will get completely pwnt by a gun, but a gun is not very useful in close quarters. A Hapkido guy from the US came to our taekwondo club to do a workshop, and he's seen many slashed up faces and bodies of people who had guns at the time of attack.

OT: Mr. Hapkido can do pushups on the backs of his hands with his fingers pointing to his feet. Try it. You can't. =P

Razako

Petrovski said:
[quote author=Razako link=1215103329/12#17 date=1215108446][quote author=Petrovski link=1215103329/12#16 date=1215108263][quote author=Razako link=1215103329/12#14 date=1215107848][quote author=laserlover link=1215103329/0#10 date=1215106679]i wouldn't use the laser because if i got sued for it afterward then i would be put in jail and fined for having a laser of really high power, and i think jail would be worse than death,
Are you serious? Just hide the laser really well after the incident and let the cops try to find it ;D
Btw what is the thug with the knife going to say in court? "oh I was robbing this guy with a knife and he took out his laser and blinded me"[/quote]

He's going to say he's innocent and only wanted to ask for directions, when suddenly this guy blinded him with an illegal laser pointer. He'll present medical evidence that shows a scarred retina caused by a powerful laser. The knife has been discarded of course, and he denies carrying one at the time. There are no witnesses of the event. Good luck![/quote]
The laser will also be "missing" and he won't be able to prove that your laser caused the burns. Your word against his and who are they going to believe? A fine outstanding citizen or the thug who probably has a criminal record ;)[/quote]

Hehehe yeah maybe. But what if this 'fine outstanding citizen' is exposed as a 'laser freak'? Several illegally imported lasers without FDA certification can be traced to you (creditcard/paypal buys), and you are linked to several internet forums where people post polls with questions like "would you use your laser as a weapon?", tutorials about making dangerously powerful DIY lasers are posted and where info about avoiding getting caught by customs can be found.

Indeed nothing more than circumstantial evidence, but it is very likely to undermine your credibility in court. Still your word against his correct, but I wouldn't be that sure you'd have a good case. :p[/quote]
meh.....
that's why you finish the job after you have him blinded :-X

Switch

I think that an attacker gives up all of his human rights to life and whatnot when he decides to take yours away.So I guess he deserves to get blinded or killed or crippled or whatever. :p

Seriously , the law and the trouble I would've been in because of the law was the only difference between stabbing him in the leg and stabbing him in the throat. ::)

OT: Mr. Hapkido can do pushups on the backs of his hands with his fingers pointing to his feet. Try it. You can't. =P
And I thought pushups on your fingertips was hardcore....But this...this frickin hurts :D

I can do three nose to the ground on fingertips (no, not splayed like a pussy, on the tips)

My wrist joint just doesn't bend that far to do pushups like that... it's anatomically impossible for me

Man, I just imagined some funny situation like that where he pulls out the knife and you have the laser and you go to push the button to go and blind him and.... OH SHIT THE 3-SECOND DELAY!!!!

Benm

Hmm... about as bad as pointing a gun at someone with the safety visible and still enaged? ;)

You: Prepare to be... *whips out laser* FLASHBLINDED!

Mugger: :eek: ...
:-?
:mad:

You: Just err, stay still for a couple seconds... It's got a safety delay :-/

;D