Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Would you guys know if an eBay "Laser 301/303" would fit a 12mm module?

whytho

I've ordered a 12mm module with driver from DTR and just looking for some cheap host options.

There is many of these cheap eBay lasers named 301, 303, Assassin etc they look to be a decent host option, but I'm just not sure the 12mm module would fit in them. If you guys have any experience with these particular lasers and could provide some info that would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Last edited:

Philipnzw

I own two of those 303 lasers, and i can confirm that they do not take standard 12mm modules. In my opinion, it is not worth the work to convert those lasers pointers into accepting a 12mm module because they barely have any heatsink, meaning you diode would probably burn out quickly if you don't keep low duty cycles. Furthermore, they might not have much space inside them for drivers.

Anyway, i guess you can start by modifying flashlights into hosts. Of course, this is if you have a lathe or CNC machine.
Otherwise, you can also contact one of the many host makers here, to make you a cheap host. Personally, i have ordered a couple heatsinks from Trinh Hong Phuoc. The heatsinks were custom made to fit those typical chinese 18650 stainless steel flash lights. I would say that this method is the most economical.

Small tip: Don't start with small hosts when you are new to the hobby. I did that, and it gave me a really hard time lmao.
Hope my reply helps.

GSS

Like Phillip mentioned the 301's 303's are odd hosts and builds. Alot of glue inside and the drivers, optics and switches are made custom for that host. That side momentary button is basicly a long pin to reach the driver as a example.
Nothing will interchange with the standard modules and drivers we have now. It can be done but just not worth the time and effort.
Some great members here that can build a host that you just slide a 12mm module in.
Lifetime17 is US based and Trinh and thantung are based in Vietnam so shipping will be a bit pricier.
I believe your laws might let you buy a module stronger than 1mW as long as its not a complete working laser.

Encap

In addition to the above comments the 301-303 laser are lowest end, lowest mass produced toy quality, thow it in the rubbish bin if anythng goes wrong lasers. Considering you can buy, retail price, one of those lasers for $5 to $10 on ebay.
What do they cost to make --maybe $1.50 to $2.00?

Would be silly to waste a good DTR mdule w. driver on one in any case.

Here is another good choice --one of the lower cost host kits from Survival Laser International--https://www.survivallaser.com/C6_Host_Assembly/p556088_5715278.aspx

Member Lifetime17 can make/supply you a 501b flashilght type host that only needs the module w. driver for a very reasonable price. See his post # 1878 here. PM him for a price here: https://laserpointerforums.com/thre...t-sinks-focus-adapters-lasers.100082/page-118

PS You didn't mention whether you bought a lens as well from DTR--Don't forget you need a lens also.

Last edited:

GSS

^^^^^^ yes ^^^^^^ I hope you didn't forget the lens..
Seeing that DTR only has a handful of lower powered diode's, only those few will do with the standard plastic lens.

try ODICFORCE (uk) --iirc we also have a few very great host makers here at LPF

hak

Hi WHY,
Ok first what diode 12mm module did you purchase from DTR? that will determine the size for battery selection.
If you what an inexpensive host yes the 501B's are the way to go. I have them in stock in Blue Red,Green Yellow and Black. All come with a custom heat sink and focus adapter and are prewired and hold 2X18350's or 1X18650 batteries.. There are choices for heat sink material Aluminum, or copper or Aluminum with a copper core pressed in. Aluminum is the cheapest and the other two have a small price increase do to material and machining time.
You can PM me about them. I ship to Don under plenty times cost ranges fro 32.00 to 36.00 US.
I ship priority mail with tracking , if you want a custom host also I have a few in stock ready to ship . See attached pictures.
Thank You Rich:)

whytho

I own two of those 303 lasers, and i can confirm that they do not take standard 12mm modules. In my opinion, it is not worth the work to convert those lasers pointers into accepting a 12mm module because they barely have any heatsink, meaning you diode would probably burn out quickly if you don't keep low duty cycles. Furthermore, they might not have much space inside them for drivers.

Anyway, i guess you can start by modifying flashlights into hosts. Of course, this is if you have a lathe or CNC machine.
Otherwise, you can also contact one of the many host makers here, to make you a cheap host. Personally, i have ordered a couple heatsinks from Trinh Hong Phuoc. The heatsinks were custom made to fit those typical chinese 18650 stainless steel flash lights. I would say that this method is the most economical.

Small tip: Don't start with small hosts when you are new to the hobby. I did that, and it gave me a really hard time lmao.
Hope my reply helps.
Great info thanks very much for that. I scanned the forums for a good couple hours before making this post and couldn't find any exact answer whether they could fit a 12mm module. Maybe my search skills are terrible lol but that's sorted now thanks.

Last edited:

whytho

@Lifetime17

Hi Rich, is the $32 USD figure host+shipping combined? If so then I'm highly interested in making a purchase. Survivallaser costs about $37 USD total shipped for their c6 host, but since I'm trying to keep things cheap I'm happy to buy one of your hosts. They also do look better than the c6. This is my first laser build and I've already spent over $130AUD for the module which is why I'm trying to go as cheap as I can with the host.

The module is an Osram 12x30mm 80mW 450nm with driver and lens included. Have you had any Australians buy a host from you and have it seized?

whytho

^^^^^^ yes ^^^^^^ I hope you didn't forget the lens..
Seeing that DTR only has a handful of lower powered diode's, only those few will do with the standard plastic lens.
It's the osram 80mW 450nm diode. Comes with the 3 element lens, should be fine with 80mW right? I might bump it up to 200mW further down the line as well

whytho

@Encap

Can't reply directly to your comment as it has links (something about me needing minimum 20 posts).

But yeah that host does look great with an alright price tag shipped down to Australia. I'll have to see if lifetime17 can do a better deal as I'm not too fussed with the appearance of the host and just looking for the cheapest option since I've already spent over $130 AUD for the laser module.

It's an 80mw 450nm module with driver and comes with the 3 element lens. It's my first laser build and at first wanted to keep the budget under $100 AUD but this module does come ready to go and all I gotta do is drop it into a host with a battery. So the price tag was worth it I figured, but I still got the host to go lol.

Encap

Unless it is a complete laser being shipped to you, it is very unlikely that it will be seized by customs.
How is customs going to know that you are going to put together a laser pointer with an output >1mW.?
Should be no problem getting a host.

Module w. driver and lens from DTR sounds good--all of his items are top shelf as is his customer service--all you need is the host setup to take a 12mm module.
Both are available for the two sources you mentioned.

There several hosts on eBay Australia--not as nice as a Lifetime17 or Survival Laser hosts but low cost and free or low shipping cost https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?...er+host.TRS0&_nkw=laser+pointer+host&_sacat=0

PS Note: Please don't double, triple, or quadruple post---you can reply to all 4 in one post by clicking reply at the outset or you can use the edit function and consolidate all the comments into one thread. Multiple posting is frowned on on LPF>

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS

Philipnzw

It's the osram 80mW 450nm diode. Comes with the 3 element lens, should be fine with 80mW right? I might bump it up to 200mW further down the line as well

80mW isn't going to generate a lot of heat, if the host has big enough heatsinks and heat dissipating abilities, you could likely run the laser 24/7.
About the 3-element lens, well it's a pretty inefficient lens compared to other single element lens, though it will give good beam shape. You might need to increase the power a bit more to get brighter output.
About increasing the power to 200mW, i would research a bit more on the laser diode first. Most of the time, it is okay to go slightly above the recommended specs, but some diodes (like the 405nm violets) tend to die quickly when over-driven. I think you should dig around this forum and check for the maximum current your LD can take. Do note that increasing the power will also lead to a lot of waste heat, and therefore shorter run times.

I see that you are also like me, in that we are both trying to enter this hobby but save money. I've been exploring lasers for around a year now and let me tell you something, this hobby ain't cheap at all. I have personally killed quite a few diodes/drivers and the total cost of the items killed could have fed me for weeks. So, definitely practice extreme caution when building your laser pointer.

Anyway, good luck in your first build.