Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Word of Caution on the C6 host

I just recieved my host and driver today and assembled my 2 watt 445nm laser, all was working well, then after charging my batteries i put them in the host and started screwing on the end cap and the laser turned on, clicked the button and it stayed on, something in the switch had failed and now it is on as soon as i screw the cap in, this is just another example of why you should have your laser glasses on before even installing the batteries, had i not been wearing them and the laser happened to be pointing at me or a reflective object in the room i might have been on my way to the eye doctor... be safe everyone, these things are not toys, but everyone already knows that, but just saying it to add to the warnings

Yes I too have twice had a laser turn on when first screwing on the tail cap. If it wont turn off when screwed on, this is sometimes caused by batteries that fit too tight, but if its the switch itself you can take it apart and put it back together and see if that helps. Do you have a pair of sharp pointed stainless steel tweezers? or better yet round nose pliers? Also Survival Laser sells replacement switches.

Alan

i have tested the cap on both of my c6 hosts and it will not turn off, it was working fine when i first got it, may try to disassemble and see if i can fix it, when i recieved it the box did appear kinda crushed, something may have gotten knocked loose in shipping

I had a similar problem once, and several other different problems with c6 caps. Pi informed you of the classic fix. Taking it apart and putting it back together has worked for me everytime.

Yep those switches aren't hard to get out.

Take the cap off and look at the silver ring around the spring. See those two dots? Those are places to put a special wrench to unscrew the ring from the cap. Once the ring is out you can attempt to take the switch itself apart (I can't remember the details on the actual switch, sorry) or you can find a replacement on some of the sites that sell flashlight parts. It is very odd that you have had two switches fail on c6 caps on the same light. Double check your batteries and make sure none of the insulation is missing or torn from the sides of the batteries. If it is that can bypass the switch and cause the laser to be on all the time. This really seems like the most probable cause as others have mentioned. That has happened to me several times.

Anyway there is no need to buy a special tool. Most times a pair or needle nose pliers will do the same job. I've also resorted to a couple of small precision phillips screw drivers, one on each hole. It can take some practice, but they are usually pretty lose.

Good luck and please let us know if the issue is really in the switch.

I only had the problem with one switch and confirmed it was indeed the switch by trying the bad switch on a different host, the company is sending a replacement. It should not have failed within the first few minutes I had it, just wanted to post this as an example of laser safety, always make sure the laser is pointed in a safe direction when installing batteries, just like loading a firearm

EDIT:
I tore the switch apart and found the problem, see picture, the metal washer is what creates the contact between one lead of the switch and the spring, it is supposed to be insulated from the side walls by the plasting screw in piece, however mine must not have been assembled correctly and the washer was allowed to touch the side wall completing the circuit between spring and side wall, bypassing the actual switch, i have found that the best way to assemble is to press the button into the aluminum piece, hold the plastic piece upside down(there is a little recessed area at the top that the washer fits into) install spring first washer ontop, make sure the washer sits flush with the top of the plastic piece, and screw the aluminum piece over the plastic piece with spring facing down, and tighten as tight as possible without stripping the plastic threads, this will ensure that the washer stays in place, hopefully this helps anyone having a similar problem

t96tro.jpg

Last edited: