Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Wondering if this is a problem and if anything can be done?

Gbb

Hello i have a 200mw 532nm pointer here my little brother like 4 years ago when first purchased turned it on and left it on in the case when i came too it i was very warm to the touch, the heat sink is massive so it prob protected the laser a bit

the image is of my hand just above the beam,
i dont know if this is a divergence issue from it being left on and damaged?
or is this maybe dust on the lense or is this just normal and i didnt notice untill after
immfdv.jpg
sb0e20.jpg

i was thinking of sending laser to be lpm aswell to see if power output has changed since i dont have one cannot tell

Last edited:

Gbb

Probably just dirty.

this is what im hopeing, it has a dust cap but obv over years and prob not being closed consistently got dusty what would u recommend for cleaning? 100% isopropyl n some q tips? ill have to fenagle with this and see if i can pop the dust cap off or something maybe

wonder what materal my lense is made out of def gotta do some research

someones suggestion
I would suggest a q-tip and vinegar (perhaps dilute the vinegar in some water). The vinegar should be strong enough to remove oils while not damaging an acrylic lens or damaging any AR coatings if its a glass lens. Make sure the q-tip is really clean and be really gentle so you don't scratch the lens or push it out of place.

I used vinegar on a q-tip to clean the 3 element glass lens on my SF501B without any issues.

Last edited:
You didn't post a photo of the dot. IF the dot looks normal to you then it's just normal splash. Very common depending on the diode and what type of lens is used, it's probably just something you didn't notice before.

Alan

AFAIK the aperture shutter (the very top part) can be twisted off, you can see it's made to be gripped. Once that pops out, you should see the lens plainly. Check if it's dirty or something, and as suggested, get some isopropyl and some q-tips and VERY GENTLY swipe the lens, first with a wet q-tip, then with dry side to make it very neat and clean.

Post back results! It's a shame for such a nice laser to be in un-mantained shape.

For future reference, do not do any burning tricks, especially matches, close to the laser. Fumes and particles fly off long distances and end up on the lens.

Last edited:

Gbb

AFAIK the aperture shutter (the very top part) can be twisted off, you can see it's made to be gripped. Once that pops out, you should see the lens plainly. Check if it's dirty or something, and as suggested, get some isopropyl and some q-tips and VERY GENTLY swipe the lens, first with a wet q-tip, then with dry side to make it very neat and clean.

Post back results! It's a shame for such a nice laser to be in un-mantained shape.

For future reference, do not do any burning tricks, especially matches, close to the laser. Fumes and particles fly off long distances and end up on the lens.

gonna take aperture off gotta remove 3 little screws on the heatsink let me see if i have a small enough tool

gonna be a nogo on that no eyeglass screwdriver atm

these were instructions i found

3. Removal of Aperture

If attempting to clean the lens of our Aries-style housed laser products, the aperture may be removed to assist in cleaning. However, PLEASE NOTE: the responsibility of safely removing and reattaching the aperture is yours – if you are not certain that you can complete this procedure without damaging the unit, please do not attempt it.

In order to remove the aperture locate the three tiny screws on the side of the heat sink near the aperture. These can be removed using a small screwdriver such as those used for eye glasses. Once the screws are removed, gently wiggle the aperture from side to side in order to loosen and remove it. Inside the aperture there may be three very small pieces of plastic – DO NOT MISPLACE THESE – as these are used as cushions between the aperture shutter body and the screws – you will need to put them back into place when you are finished cleaning the lens. After you have finished cleaning the lens in order to reattach the aperture shutter assembly look on the reverse side of the aperture shutter assembly and locate the actuator arm with a hole in it. Align the aperture shutter assembly with the body of the laser in such a way as to align the pin which is protruding from the heat sink with the above noted hole in the actuator arm. Place these together and while keeping the aperture shutter assembly flush with the laser rotate the aperture shutter ring from side to side as in normal operation to ensure that the shutter opens and closes. While keeping the aperture shutter firmly on the body of the laser hold the laser horizontally with one of the small holes facing up – insert one of the small plastic pieces mentioned above and follow it with one of the screws. Rotate the screw clockwise until you feel resistance. Follow the same steps for the rest of the holes/plastic pieces/screws. Gently push and pull the aperture shutter assembly to assure that it is securely in place. If it separates from the body of the laser then correct this by tightening the corresponding screw. Be sure to not over-tighten as this will prevent free rotation of the aperture shutter.

Last edited:
Well there you go, you have all the instructions.

If you're missing a screwdriver, just check eBay. Hex-screwdrivers (which are probably what you need) are next-to-free there.

I saw several heatsink sellers actually give away hex-screwdrivers for free with each heatsink, so that CAN'T be expensive.

It just looks like reflections to me. If
the lens is that far in, it's probably
fine, especially if the aperture is usually
left closed. I would leave it alone.
Messing with it can make it way worse.

It just looks like reflections to me. If
the lens is that far in, it's probably
fine, especially if the aperture is usually
left closed. I would leave it alone.
Messing with it can make it way worse.

Attempting to clean a lens never once ended up NOT being better than what it was, for me.

I doubt there's that much aperture reflection, it's black anodized aluminium, of a professional grade laser no less. I don't think that would be normal.

Pman

Would suggest always trying compressed air first before touching the lens.

I try to use one of those optical cloths to clean my lenses. You can get them from a camera shop (and online). I haven't damaged any glass lenses using them.

Then again, I have used q-tips and not damaged things, but I save the q-tips as a last resort. They are not as soft as the optical cloth and sometimes they can get things off that otherwise don't come off. (It's worked for me on diode windows too.)

GRIT is the worst danger, try to dab the dirt off rather than wipe it (wet q-tip or cloth). I don't like to wipe the lenses until I've dabbed it down a few times. Make sure your cleaning tools are clean, too!

A q tip with a drop of denatured alcohol on the end has worked best for me.

Last edited:
A q tip with a drop of denatured alcohol on the end has worked best for me.

Yep, had a diode window today that I was sure was damaged. Nope, took some alcohol and a q-tip to it and the junk came right off, no damage to the AR coating either. I'm amazed every time it happens because it's always a last resort and I'm always convinced the optic in question is ruined... and then it isn't.