Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WL Arctic LaserShields Transmittance Scan

Ah I see, I thought they'd just send out the same ol' cheap lasershades as for the green lasers... maybe they should've.

Thanks for all this information guys. When reports first came out that the WL LaserShields were essentially ineffective I was a bit freaked out. But after seeing these tests done I can at least know they are reasonably effective though not totally. As someone said, allowing less than 10mw through the glasses is not too shabby especially since many people (I am guilty of this) use 50 watt laser pointers without proper eyewear.

I got a measured value of 20.96mW at 441.40nm through the original 445nm LaserShades (with the Arctic at maximum), and 42.90µW (all of it was fluorescence of the lenses themselves) through the newer model 445nm LaserShades -- also with the Arctic at maximum output.

So while the older version (which most users have) offer ***SOME*** protection at ~441nm (and as we all know "some" is definitely better than "none"); the newer version of 445nm LaserShades (with noticeably darker lenses) offer 100% protection at the designed wavelength (in this case, the laser they were irradiated with measured at 442.00nm)-- they even offer adequate protection from 532nm laser radiation.

You're looking at nearly OD2 for the WL goggles. They basically just knock the power of your laser down by a factor of 2. So the typical Arctic laser would be diminished to about 8mW. It should be OK for viewing the dot at the distances you mentioned... and even brief accidental reflections... but you should not stare into the beam or reflections with these goggles. 8mW is higher than the FDA approved 5mW safety limit.

Keep in mind, that the goggles metered were LaserSheilds sent out in EARLY arctic G1 orders. I think they may be sending decent glasses repackaged from other manufactures at this point in time. What Kind of goggles did you get with your laser?

Last edited:
Thanks guys, i just got my laserglow's for my spider. wish they were lower priced so i could get extras for other people that might be around. Thank you for the info so i can be as safe as possible.