Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Windows 10 , Have you?

Yeah, but i guess price is always a factor.

Those 21:9 aspect screens are quite expensive. Retail for a dell 34", 3440x1440 model is 750 euros here. For that money you can buy TWO dell 25", 2560x1440 screens of similar quality.

That's 1680 extra vertical pixels if you put them side by side in landscape. I'm not sure if that's an ideal configuration though, it might work better to use different sizes, one main screen landscape and a side screen portrait such that they match height.

Weird, I'm looking at some local prices right now.

Cheapest 2560x1440 IPS panel in entire Croatia comes down to about $300, Dell DELL 24" P2416D

Cheapest 21:9 I'm looking at is:
LG 25UM58-P , 2560x1080, IPS panel as well, comes down to about $200.

Can you check up those specific models?

Now you're just talking crazy. Nature abhors a vacuum, and screen space will always be filled.

LOL, true, true!

But a man can dream, right?
I mean, 7680 x 1440 of desktop space...

Not to mention spatial awareness in games, those that you could run on such a resolution.

Few games even scale that much. Having moved to 40" 4k, doubt I'll upgrade again for a loooong time. Want to see next step up in VR/AR.

Few games even scale that much. Having moved to 40" 4k, doubt I'll upgrade again for a loooong time. Want to see next step up in VR/AR.

A good deal of them support multimonitor or ultrawide resolution, and if not you can always create custom resolution profile and run the game borderless window.

VR - yeah, I also wanna know where is that thing going. Currently it's literally the singe most expensive gaming setup you can build.

I think the price of HTC Vive does beat the price of any 3x FullHD monitors. And then you gotta have equally powerful hardware to run it.

I'm not really seeing who is exactly is the target demographic of VR market as it is. It's ridiculously expensive.

Not to mention that aside from Serious Sam VR released in Early Access recently, I'm not really seeing much of what you'd call "games" for it. It's all tech demos.

Decent, HD monitor is ~$200 USD. So yes, the vive at $799 is more expensive, but it's not just a display, and it's also the first generation of serious VR. In terms of pc requirements, within 2-3 months there will be many under $200 video cards that will support it.

There are some games already out, mostly flight simulator, and FPS kind of things, but I haven't looked into it a lot since I haven't gotten it yet.

There also already ways to play traditional games in VR, with more support being developed. I fully expect withing 1-2 years many games current games will be playable in some form in VR, and more so, new games will be developed with adaptation in mind. http://www.gamespot.com/articles/what-fallout-4-and-doom-are-like-in-vr/1100-6440960/

The VR market goes well beyond gaming. The display and 3D tracking system has applications in many industries such as CAD tools, automotive, robotics, medicine, space, just to name few. All of these industries will make their contributions to develop VR. But gaming will (and is) the catalyst to make the technology cheaper and better faster. I have no doubt that VR/AR is the future of normality, but today it is for curious enthusiasts. No need to obligate yourselves to get it right now, as it is A; very expensive, and B; low resolution compared to a 1080p monitor. That being said I'm hooked on it already - it's damn impressive.

You're all making quite valid points, but honestly I'm just so excited to a) be alive within this day and age, b) looking at a fulltime job opportunity with hopefully some disposable income which should render the "a)" part relevant.

While I am looking forward some 1440p gaming, I do not think I will be looking into getting VR headset, not yet.

Everybody switched interest from quality of image and pixel realestate of normal, regular monitors, and game performance of non-3D and non-VR gaming - except me apparently, and all that doesn't mean this area didn't mature in the meantime. Quite the contrary. You can literally pick THE cheapest graphics card on the market within this current new generation today - which would be Radeon RX 470 for under $200 IIRC, and it would play literally everything on 1080p either fully maxed, or at least "smartly" maxed (avoid performance-drain tech which doesn't really do anything).

And the most expensive thing there is, GTX 1080, doesn't cost $2000, and is so insanely fast that there's literally nothing out there that'll give it a proper spin. Even 4K gaming at 60fps is perfectly viable on that thing.

So literally, whatever you upgrade to, will be awesome. Can't wait.

Benm

Weird, I'm looking at some local prices right now.

Cheapest 2560x1440 IPS panel in entire Croatia comes down to about $300, Dell DELL 24" P2416D

Cheapest 21:9 I'm looking at is:
LG 25UM58-P , 2560x1080, IPS panel as well, comes down to about $200.

Can you check up those specific models?

One thing to note there is that a 25" 21:9 display is MUCH smaller compared to a 24" 16:9 display, just looking at the area of the screen in square centimeters. In terms of pixel count the LG also has a lot less, it's basically the same as letterboxing the image on the dell display, there are no extra horizontal pixels, just less vertical ones.

LG also does a 29" model of that display but at the same resolution. At least you'll get a bit more area, but it's still only 1080 pixels vertically. Prices here are similar to a good dell 24/25 inch ips, even the 16:10 aspect ones.

Perhaps for gaming these 21:9 displays are nice, matching a bit better with the aspect ratio of human vision. For office productivity i doubt they add much.

And the most expensive thing there is, GTX 1080, doesn't cost $2000, and is so insanely fast that there's literally nothing out there that'll give it a proper spin. Even 4K gaming at 60fps is perfectly viable on that thing.

Not quite. Depends on the game, and settings, and while definitely 100% playable with relatively high settings, the 1080 can't keep up with Ultra/Max settings at 60fps consistently. Worst drop I've seen so far is to 24fps.

It's a massively powerful card though, and can be had for under $600 for some variations. Complete overkill for 1080p.

Regarding VR, currently it's definitely for the early adopter, but you can expect both big leaps in the technology and price drops to relatively performance. In fact I expect the VR market, more so than the gaming market to drive advances in in gpus. At the same time, even there the basic entry level is not that high. I have my own big reservations about it specifically due to resolution.

Good luck in getting the job.

Benm

I'm not really sure about the VR thing. Adoption for many things has mostly been driven by the pr0n industry - think of things like vhs, dvd and bluray and the screen resolutions required to match them.

While i'm sure pr0n will drive the VR market, chances are that this will not come with high demands on graphics cards. It is, after all, pre-recorded material that needs to adapt to your movements and such, but does not require realtime photorealistic rendering to work.

On the other hand once VR viewing systems are common there certainly will be a market for gaming that does require more gpu power. This will eventually happen but may take quite some time since it has to wait for a large enough part of the market to own a VR viewing device.

Last edited:
GPU technology is currently the most limiting factor, and that demand will only grow. Just to power HTC Vive or Oculus Rift, you need a machine that can run 4K games, and yet the perceived repulsion in the headsets is not even HD.
On the pr0n subject: If you'd want anything interactive, like a virtual ai partner, or maybe even a real time virtual secks with a real person in another part of the world, you'll need some serious GPU power.
So I do think that the pr0n industry will play a significant roll in pushing VR forward as well.

Benm

I think for now it will mostly be implemented in a way that you can move around a scene, view it from multiple angles, a bit interactive POV and such.

Interactive virtual partners and such will be a bit further down the line. This might go more towards robotics than VR though, time will tell.

In order for things to go really mainstream costs will have to come down though, and they probably will. At some point a video card that would decode H264 1080p video was expensive, now virtually any solution can do that.

I wouldn't be surprised if the gpu's baked into cpu's would be goon enough by the time VR really hits the mainstream market.

For POV/180/360 video you can just use google cardboard for $2 and a smartphone today, or a couple years ago. But it's not VR.
It's a gloried 3D display, a gimmick. It's the real time rendered environments with 1:1 tracking that gives you the sense of presence, and there is no way to get that without a ton of power.
Mainstream VR might be 5-10 years away, but it's hard for me to guess. I'd like to compare it to how fast the smartphones became mainstream though.
I don't think it will be as common as a smartphone, but perhaps it will be as common as a gaming console, and similar cost, if not less.

I have to agree that two monitors are a must for coding for me. I do like the extra vertical space for seeing different parts of the same source file, but I really hate having stuff pop up over my coding window. I find that even with extra space on the primary monitor -- even more than having a second monitor -- I will still use the second monitor quite a bit for "second monitor tasks".

Benm

I normally work with a larger monitor, real keyboard and mouse connected to my laptop, so i can drop stuff on the laptop window if i want. It's good for things that take time like long uploads/downloads and such but don't need much interaction.