Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Window Cutting Laser in Mission Impossible

As I get older, I really notice inconsistencies in movies.

Remember that scene with Tom Cruise in Mission Impossible (Ghost Protocol) cutting a hole in a window with a small handheld laser? Imagine how many watts that would truly take and then...the insane glare.

I'm sure more than a few people think that such a device actually exists. Theoretically, how much power would it actually take to cut a thick piece of tempered glass in seconds? 20 watts? 100 watts?

Last edited:

With visible light, it's practically impossible. However, a CO2 laser emits IR light with a wavelength of 10600 nm, which is strongly absorbed by glass. I don't know how much power you need, but iirc even 10 watts should be enough

Yes a CO2 laser is the way to go, not easy to make one portable. It won't cut the glass though, it will break it. There is a video of some guy with a CO2 laser he made portable and it showed it breaking a couple of bottles. There is also someone here that tried to melt a hole in a sheet of glass, I forgot who it is, but he said it shattered violently, I think it may have been 60W but not sure.

Alan

I tried cutting glass too with co2 Laser. It doesn't work. Carful adjustments and you can etch it. Too much heating and next thing you are looking for the dustpan and foxtail. The scene is bogus. Use the glass cutter and suction cup and a rubber mallet

UV laser is the REAL way to go. Coincidentally, also the real expensive way to go :D

So the bed is absorbing 100% of the beam?
There is absolutely no chance of any of the invisible beam reflecting off of the glass or washing off to the side towards the operators eyes?
The travel speed of the machine looks to be at least 12 to 18 inches per second so I am guessing the beam to be around 10 to 40 watts.
So you will work around a beam of that strength 8 hours a day, 40 hours a week for years with no safety goggles. Very interesting to say the least.