Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Will a laser pointer blind out a security camera? Creepy neighbor!

How would you deal with the situation?

• Shoot it down! Pellets, paintballs, Ak-47s?

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Hop the fence and tear it down or cut the cable!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I love laser pointer forums, I'd laser that thing!

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Change bedrooms so that my bedroom faces his camera and slap my manhood on the window every day!

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Ignore it

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters

Teej

Most of those cameras are not telephoto, they are wide angle, so as to cover more of the property, etc.

IE: There's an excellent chance that no detail, especially through a window, would be visible.

If on the other hand, the camera is more sophisticated, and an operator can swivel/aim it as well as change focal lengths to zoom in on distant targets, etc, it is possible for them to do some peeping tom type activities.

If the guy is into drugs, and the camera is there to warn of a raid, or, addicts breaking in for drugs or money, etc...he's probably not going to be cooperative, or nice about you destroying his sophisticated remote control camera...as in you might start a war with a bad person.

If you want to avoid a lawsuit/your home being bombed, etc...in retaliation...

...a compromise might be a simple reflective film on the windows of concern.

Anyone looking AT the window sees a reflection, not in. Anyone looking out, can see out unobstructed.

Another low-tech solution is you adding your own "backyard lighting", where a bright spot light points from the window areas, right at the camera.

This causes the camera to stop down if aimed at the light, so that the inside of the home is rendered dark/all they see is glare.

A simple motion sensor/switch in the bedrooms can trigger the light, so its only on when the occupants of the bedrooms want it on.

Similarly, there are inexpensive IR sensor switches, that can detect the IR focusing and/or night vision beam of the camera (if it has IR focus, night vision, etc), and trigger a response.

Last edited:

Our homes are very close together and we live in California.

Well since you live in California, I'm sure you're familiar with 'window film'.

linky of typical film company --> For Home - Glare Control Window Film - Page | Gila Window Film

I'm sure you can find a suitable one, that the kids can still see out, but from a distance, a person can't really see in.

Also consider putting a camera a tall pole, facing his way. :na: It doesn't even have to work. But if you do that, buy a real one, and make it look like the cable is hooked up. A phony security camera is easy to spot.

If he objects, offer to take it down, if he takes his down.

I like the idea of do unto others. You hear about meth heads always peeping out of their blinds. Just imagine his paranoia when he sees a camera pointed back at him. One of my managers lives next to some meth heads and he put up a motion activated flood light on their driveway and on their front porch. I thought that was epic myself.

Last edited:
my 2 watt laser actually burned a hole in my camera .. like when i shoot videos with it now .. you can see clearly where the laser hit it .. if you dont wan to destroy the camera .. id suggest a different route