Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Wicked Lasers overrated?

Hey guys,

I found this forum using google and it seems that some members of the forum think Wicked Lasers are a rip off.

Personally, I only own one Wicked Laser called the Core, which is a 5mW laser.

Are Wicked Lasers actually worth it or is it just the marketing they've done?
Are their products of superior quality?

What are some better places to buy lasers online?

I've looked at the Deal Extreme website and they're selling a 50mW laser for $25.80, is the quality crap or is it just a ridiculously good deal? After all, Wicked Laser sells their 55mW lasers for around 200 dollars. Does the Deal Extreme laser truly have an output of 50 or is it just a bad quality and have an output that is nowhere near what they say it is?

The funny thing is they sell a "True 50mW Green Laser Pointer Pen Black" for $54.00 yet the "Green Laser Pointer Pen 50mW" I mentioned is only $25.80

I don't know, I've only really gone with Wicked Laser's so I don't have any idea about price/quality of other lasers around.

It seems Wicked Laser have the best quality lasers that are IR free, that deliver what is advertised to me.
Perhaps I should've bought from other sites and knew the outputs were lies but in the end received higher output for price anyway.

Someone care to prove me wrong and answer some of my questions?
Have I wasted my money?

Thanks!

Things

The core from wicked is fine, along with the goggles. Thats about the only good stuff from wicked though. Deal extreme is a gamble, you could get a laser that is over 50mw, or a laser that is 20mw and mode hops, or one that doesnt work at all. If you are looking for cheap power, delaextreme is good, but if you want much better quality/reliability, try www.novalasers.com, www.laserglow.com and www.optotronics.com. Welcome to the forum! :)

Thanks alot Things,

I found one of those crappy $2 dollar red laser pointer on DX with free shipping...

I just don't trust these guys, how can they ship something to Australia for free thats only 2 dollars?

Is it too good to be true?

I guess for 2 bucks I might as well find out.

Amnizu

It's too good to be true in the sense that your order will take 3 weeks to process and a month to actually get to you once it has shipped.

As for Wickedlasers, yeah, their marketing makes them out to be a legitimate laser company, whereas in truth they send out consistently underspec lasers and sucker in people who dont know better with slick marketing campaigns.

I wonder, is that shipping delay true for all Deal Extreme items or just the $2 items.

Hmm, how do you measure the mW output of lasers?

Amnizu

Dingers said:
I wonder, is that shipping delay true for all Deal Extreme items or just the $2 items.

It's pretty true in my experience.

You buy a laser power meter and use that.

Switch

Dingers said:

It's true with the free shipping.It will probably get there faster if you upgrade.

Dingers said:

It's true that it's free, but the shipping usually takes 2-3 weeks to where I live. With EMS express packages come faster, but never choose that option if you are buying lasers.

DX lasers aren't the best quality, and there are some crappy ones they send out, but Wicked does the same thing. DX's "true" 30mW for ~$25 is a great deal though, they almost always pop balloons.

styropyro said:
[quote author=Dingers link=1206611404/0#4 date=1206616212]I wonder, is that shipping delay true for all Deal Extreme items or just the $2 items.

It's true that it's free, but the shipping usually takes 2-3 weeks to where I live. With EMS express packages come faster, but never choose that option if you are buying lasers.

DX lasers aren't the best quality, and there are some crappy ones they send out, but Wicked does the same thing. DX's "true" 30mW for ~$25 is a great deal though, they almost always pop balloons.[/quote]

Hmm, but Wicked would replace the laser without a second thought, in some cases upgrading it without extra cost.

But for the price youre paying...

So I'm guessing that when DX has a "true" laser the mW output is actually that advertised.

don't forget DX also has warranties on items so you can mail it to a US office and they'll send you a new one

Hmm, well I do live in Australia...

but yeah, I see your point.

DX still covers their products.

I think I'll be buying my lasers elsewhere from now on, thanks guys =)

Entity

Another fairly good site is www.dragonlasers.com

But Nova and Optotronics and Laserglow are probably the most reliable.

Do NOT buy from Techlasers.com. It is affiliated or owned by Wicked lasers an is meant to compete with the above stated sites by selling the exact same lasers but of course, they are underpowered most of the time.

As for the difference between the DX true __ pointers and the normal pointers, well the true ones are manufactured by a company named Newish which is a fairly good company (but nothing close to the quality of CNI lasers or even wicked lasers) that uses IR filters. The ones that look exactly the same but do not say true are imitations from other chinese companies and are lower quality with no IR filters.

Hmm very interesting.

Now i just have to learn how to set up a Laser Power Meter so I can test my lasers, especially that 5mW Core.

Whats the chances my core is underpowered?

Razako

Dingers said:
Hmm very interesting.

Now i just have to learn how to set up a Laser Power Meter so I can test my lasers, especially that 5mW Core.

Whats the chances my core is underpowered?
A core being underpowered isn't really a serious problem. At worst it might be putting out 3-4 mw instead of 5. You don't want a more powerful laser to be underpowered because then you might be getting cheated out of >50mw.

Entity

Laser power meters are very expensive as well. The cheapest commercially available ones are $400. Correct me if I'm wrong guys.

Switch

I think the LPM-1 was $160 when the GBs were going on (?).You can get a Kenometer for significantly less than $400 or get the DIY parts for knimrods meter and put it together. :p