Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Wicked Lasers - lying about tracking info

Interesting - do you know what diode they use for this? I'm guessing either the multimode Mitsu or Oclaro? I didn't know about the beam correction either.

Not sure, but i was able to make this macro shot ....

JRqhTzv.jpg

Maybe someone Recognize it ... Not too sure myself.

ScottW

Re: Wicked Lasers Inferno

Not sure, but i was able to make this macro shot .... Maybe someone Recognize it ... Not too sure myself.

Good photo, Smeer. That seems to rule out the Oclaro (it's closed can, right?) and obviously not a C-mount. Could it simply be a Mitsu ML501P73? In DTR's tests, it easily went to 1W and the Inferno's I have seen measured were mostly in the 800-900mW range.

I actually find the Inferno something of an anomaly in WL's product line. Their 445's are literally double the price of competing products. But for what it is (750mw+ 635nm), I find the Inferno's $400 price tag pretty reasonable -- especially considering the correction optics.

In fact, the Inferno is the only current WL product I still consider buying. What stops me is that "G2 smart switch." The newer Arctics have a "G3" switch that I actually like. But the Inferno still has the older "G2" which always starts in strobe mode, has no momentary function, and takes a several second "hold" to go into standby. I played with a relative's Inferno, and that G2 switch really turned me off of what I otherwise found to be decent laser.

So I am still looking for a good, beam-corrected 635nm in the 800+mW range (with a momentary switch), if anyone has suggestions.

Last edited:

Good photo, Smeer. That seems to rule out the Oclaro (it's closed can, right?) and obviously not a C-mount. Could it simply be a Mitsu ML501P73? In DTR's tests, it easily went to 1W and the Inferno's I have seen measured were mostly in the 800-900mW range.

I actually find the Inferno something of an anomaly in WL's product line. Their 445's are literally double the price of competing products. But for what it is (750mw+ 635nm), I find the Inferno's $400 price tag pretty reasonable -- especially considering the correction optics.

Thats what I was thinking too - do you know if it's possible to get that kind of beam correction in a hobby build? I'm not sure how it's done, and I haven't found too much information about it.

ScottW

do you know if it's possible to get that kind of beam correction in a hobby build?

Not that I have seen (but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist). I have been watching THIS THREAD with great interest, but if I understand correctly it doesn't address the p73.

And don't get me wrong... The Inferno's optics aren't perfect; The beam is still rectangular, divergence is still pretty bad, and there is no adjustable focus. But the optics do clean it up a lot compared to just a standard lens.

Last edited:
wow, didn't know people felt like this about WL company.. Thanks bubonicCronic for jet lasers I check them out and they have some nice products there and thinking of getting one now. Everyone has their opinion though but wicked lasers- lasers has been good product so far for me that's all. thanks

Most people wouldnt pay over $400 for common red laser. :whistle:

Common red is 300mW 650nm ''that's common''
You're just speaking for yourself here...

Yes we know its 635 and has corrective optics but to the typical laser buyer its still just a red laser.
Again common is 650nm.

Its all marketing.
And nothing wrong with it as it's a good 635nm handheld, for a good price.

ScottW

Most people wouldnt pay over $400 for common red laser. :whistle:

Yes we know its 635 and has corrective optics but to the typical laser buyer its still just a red laser.

Its all marketing.

What? :thinking: You apparently haven't shopped for a high-powered 635nm. Or maybe you just like to extend this old thread because of its title concerning a problem from 2010. :crackup:

I have shopped for a high-power 635nm.
  • JetLasers: Their highest power 635nm is 400mW. No 650nm handhelds in their lineup.
  • LaserBTB: Their highest power 635nm is 200mW. They do offer a 1W 650nm for about $300+shipping, but its not 635nm (duh) and has no correction optics.

A 750mW+ 635nm product is NOT "common", even without the corrective optics the Inferno has. And it isn't "over $400". It's $399.95 with shipping. :beer:

Now if you want to attack the Arctic as overpriced (2W for $599.95?), then I will be right there with you. But the Inferno is actually priced reasonably for what it is, and its tough to find a competing product.

Last edited:

ScottW

I wasnt attacking anything and you guys are getting defensive over nothing.

Disagreeing is not being "defensive". I cited examples and prices, to bring some facts into the discussion. For Monty Python fans, "I didn't come here for an argument." :yh:

I am looking for a high-powered 635nm with decent correction, and the WL Inferno brought up earlier in this thread fits that bill. I hesitate to buy it from WL, but my favorite sources (JetLasers and LaserBTB) don't offer anything similar. If such products are "common" and $400 is so unreasonable for them as to warrant a whistle, then there must be some readily available alternatives. I sure wish someone would share them.

And correcting me over 5 cents is grasping at straws to say the least and a cheap shot to prove your point.

Did you miss the emoticon there? No "shot" was intended, and I'm sorry you took it that way. I'm not your enemy and I am not out to get you. I am just another forum member, presumably with some shared interests. We don't have to agree 100% on everything to get along, do we?

As for correcting you on "over $400", well yes, I did and the difference is more than 5 cents. The key phrase was "with shipping", meaning the product itself is perhaps ~$385. But the real point isn't whether it is $385 or $400, it is whether products of similar specs are available for a substantially lower price. Are they?

Dont ever laugh at me. I build ALL my toys. I dont buy most of them like you. Your Zaser is a great build but it doesnt make you an expert on lasers or give you the right to call me out on some Wicked Lasers BS.

If you are going to take a laughter emoticon as some kind of direct personal insult, then I may simply lack the required level of diplomatic skill needed to avoid upsetting you. No offense was intended, quite the opposite, and disagreeing with you on the facts is not "calling you out". Thanks for the compliment on the Zaser, though. :beer:

Back to the topic... I find the Inferno's price (unlike most WL products) reasonable for a 750+mW optically-corrected 635nm. But I don't like the smart switch, and I dislike WL's marketing approach, so I would be grateful to anyone that can recommend some alternatives with similar or better specifications.

Last edited:

ScottW

Why don't you just build one yourself?

Good question, RayJay. The "beam correction" part has been the problem for me. I did a build with the ML501P73, but I am not happy with the beam shape. The Oclaro is only slightly better, based on photos DTR provided.

If you look close at the photo Smeerworst posted (a few posts back), it appears the Inferno has an FAC lens attached to the diode. There is an example here on the forum of Lazeerer managing to mount an FAC on a 445, but it isn't something I am ready to try with my shaky hands and aged eyes. The Inferno also has some additional optics between that and the FAC to further clean up the beam.

Another approach is that used by CDBeam777 on his Dragon's Head build. Way way cool, and also way way beyond my capabilities.

So as far as I can tell, decent 635nm beam correction starts with either an FAC lens precisely mounted to the diode, or some other collimation lens mounted in front of the diode, coupled with more custom optics and a host designed to hold them. None of that appears readily available for me to use in a build. I am not an optics expert, machinist, or host designer, so at this point I am leaning towards the "buy" option for a beam-corrected 635nm.

Last edited:

Good question, RayJay. The "beam correction" part has been the problem for me. I did a build with the ML501P73, but I am not happy with the beam shape. The Oclaro is only slightly better, based on photos DTR provided.

[...]

So as far as I can tell, decent 635nm beam correction starts with either an FAC or mounted collimation lens, then some more custom optics and a host designed to hold them. None of that appears readily available for me to use in a build. I am not an optics expert, machinist, or host designer, so at this point I am leaning towards the "buy" option for a beam-corrected 635nm.

This is the problem I'm currently grappling with. I want to make a new red build this summer - and make it as unique and complex as I can manage. Even if I fail - it will be a good learning experience. But beam shape is very important to me - and optics are not my strong spot.

I get what your saying, but honestly I think their products are improving my opinion. My last 1.4 million want laser was perfect I love it. but also thanks to you (BubonicCronic) I'm getting a really nice laser from Jetlaser can't wait to get it.

RayJay

My 2.8 million watt laser in a hand polished hand cut host is perfect and I love it too. I paid $140. How much did you pay for yours?

...... Really...... Owel, I'm not going to be the first to say it! :crackup:

Yeah, but dose it blink... LOL I'm just kidding.. That's why I join this forum to learn as much as I can about this hobby that I love.

Some of you still dont get it.

Quoted from Smeer talking about the Inferio.

He paid $400 for a laser and he has to send it back. I've read dozens of threads of people with the same problem different laser. Some had to send it back 3 times. This is classic Wicked. What good are corrective optics if the beam is off center, has splash and you have to send it back?

This is and has always been a quality control issue with Wicked. Either they dont check the lasers before they go out or they let them all go out and play the odds that most people wont care. I think the latter. For the amount of money you pay for their lasers all should be running through a thorough quality check. Its blatantly obvious they dont.

You have a company that openly lies in their advertising, has poor quality control and over priced lasers. If this company existed in the US it would have been closed down long ago because nobody would buy from them. I dont know how the fact they are located in China excuses all these problems or why people jump on their bandwagon as hard as they do. The only thing I read positive about them are the hosts. There are plenty of people here that can cut you the host of your dreams for under $100. Back to the question; so how does the fact they are located in China excuses all these problems and why do people jump on their bandwagon as hard as they do?

Some of you guys got mad because I said fanboy. But isnt this the exact behavior Apple fanboys demonstrate everytime a new Apple product comes to market? At least Apple is a quality product. Wicked is a joke, fraud and liar. I dont get the allure or how people can look past these traits and spend big money on mid quality lasers. For the same money you can get a high quality laser build to your own taste and design and have something completely unique to what everyone else has.

I've heard of brand loyalty but give me a break.

You are blowing things up m8,

What company didn't had a problem like this ?

How could it have happend ? in transit ? could be...

ScottW

I still haven't seen a practical alternative to the Inferno. Is there truly no other ">750mW 635nm with decent correction optics" available from any other company? That's hard to accept with so many laser companies out there.

If someone wants to misdirect away from that question with yet another dozen paragraphs repeating how evil WL is, replete with insulting inferences that all WL's past, present, and future customers are ignorant, mindless sheep or shills or fanboys, that's fine.... But none of that will help identify an alternative product.

I have never recommended that anyone buy an Inferno, or any other WL product. So I'm not sure how I touched that nerve a few posts back. I want a better alternative with similar specs, both for myself -- and that I can recommend others buy instead of an Inferno. I would think that WL-haters (and red laser lovers alike) would all embrace that goal.

"Hate always sells well, but for repeat trade and the long pull happiness is sounder merchandise." ....Robert Heinlein

Linking to an alternative >750mW 635nm with correction optics (or a way for the average builder to incorporate correction optics) would be a much better way to keep people away from the Inferno than simply trying to scare them away.

Last edited: