Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Wicked lasers evolution pro 2010 130mW. Extensive and unbiased review

• Thread starter Deleted member 8382
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 8382

I've been recently asked to review this laser by Wicked Lasers. Yes, I've got this laser for free, BUT, this doesn't mean this is in anyway biased.

This is the spec chart on their site:

Name: Evolution Pro
Size: 20.2x182mm
Wavelength:
532nm
Weight:
82g
Laser Finish: 6061-T6 Aircraft-Grade Aluminum

Laser Body: Mil-Spec Type III hard anodized in black
Transverse Mode: TEM00
Output Power: 20mW - 130mW
Beam Divergence: <1.2mRad
Beam Diameter: 1.5 mm @ aperture
NOHD* 95 meters
Required Eyewear O.D. 2.1
Power Consumption: <700mA
Power supply: 2 X AA 1.5V
Battery Lifetime: 30 min
Switch: Momentary On / Off Button
Duty Cycle: Continous
Expected lifetime: >5,000 hours

And the photo on their website:

220.jpg

The laser was shipped using UPS Express packet. It's the fastest package I've ever got. I don't know why they told me it would get here in a week since it took only 2 days for it to arrive. Proof of it is the UPS tracking record:

BARCELONA, ES 06/11/2009 15:33 DELIVERED
06/11/2009 6:15 ARRIVAL SCAN
DE LLOBREG, ES 06/11/2009 6:00 DEPARTURE SCAN
06/11/2009 5:23 ARRIVAL SCAN
06/11/2009 5:23 ARRIVAL SCAN
KOELN (COLOGNE), DE 06/11/2009 3:35 DEPARTURE SCAN
06/11/2009 3:30 DEPARTURE SCAN
KOELN (COLOGNE), DE 05/11/2009 23:07 ARRIVAL SCAN
WARSAW, PL 05/11/2009 21:05 DEPARTURE SCAN
05/11/2009 18:13 ARRIVAL SCAN
INCHEON, KR 05/11/2009 10:28 DEPARTURE SCAN
05/11/2009 7:40 ARRIVAL SCAN
SHANGHAI, CN 05/11/2009 5:41 DEPARTURE SCAN
05/11/2009 4:35 DEPARTURE SCAN
05/11/2009 1:21 EXPORT SCAN
SHANGHAI, CN 04/11/2009 21:46 DEPARTURE SCAN
04/11/2009 17:18 ORIGIN SCAN
04/11/2009 15:25 COLLECTION SCAN
CN 04/11/2009 2:34 BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

5 minutes later I had my camera ready. I'm sorry about the quality, but as it can be appreciated on this videos and the photos, cameras get damaged when you record lasers. I already ruined one camera and I'm using it only for lasers recording.

Here's the video:

I've not been able to take a picture of the power graph because the line is very dim, but it shows the laser peaks at 146mW and then stays at 129.2mW.

Here's a picture of the poster that came with it:

safetyadvise.jpg

And one of the laser itself:

overviewi.jpg

Here's one of the beam. Notice the small desviation from the body.

beamdesviation.jpg

Taking out the protective glass and showing the AR coating. The red surface iis the coating reflecting the light on a lamp.

arcoating.jpg

The laser head without the protective glass:

firstlens.jpg

And inside the barrel:

insidebarrel.jpg

Disassembling the safety pin mechanism:

safetypin.jpg

Beam comparison with 2 common portable green lasers:

beamcomparation.jpg

And a size comparison too:

sizecomparaison.jpg

Dot comparison after red goggles. Up->Rayfoss Down->Evolution Pro

dotcomparation.jpg

End of media.

I'll be honest. I like this laser. After all what has been said about Wicked Lasers it's clear that something has changed on their products. Now they are not only cool but on spec lasers. Some have received over spec units, but this is not my case. I tested this laser on my university meter and the result just seconds what the power graph that came with it said. It peaks at 150mW and then stays at 130mW. The beam divergence on this unit is 1.3 mRad. However I'm not using specific equipment, so maybe it's really under 1.2 mRad as advertised.

I also like the fact that it's using AA batteries instead AAA, they last longer and are cheaper. Beware because there are no instructions on how to insert the batteries but I knew it by looking at the other reviews.

I like the design. The metal black housing gives a sturdy look to it although it's very light. The clip is solid, the led is not annoying and the pin is almost invisible.

A part from the laser, the box is nice too, and I have to say I'm really glad they are giving that free poster. The sticker do also include a message saying "DO NOT POINT YOUR LASER AT AN AIRCRAFT", so it's nice to see they care about laser safety.

At this point, there is only one but a big one problem. There's a total lack of effective safety measures on this laser. I really don't like the pin and LED idea, so for me it's OK to use an "invisible" pin and a dim led just to pass the FDA requirements, but I miss a switch, a key, a shutter... You could take the pin in and out, but considering how small it is, I'm afraid of loosing it.

To make things worse, the power button is small and VERY sensitive. It's very easy to press it accidentally. For this reasons I've ended up taking the batteries in and out every time. When I was making the video I was moving it around my hand and suddenly the button was pressed and the laser went directly to my right eye. Of course, I was wearing my safety goggles, so nothing happened, but I'm worried about others not doing the same.

To summarize:

PROS

·Good looking.
·Sturdy touch.
·Solid grip.
·Stable and on spec power.
·Fast shipping.
·Safety poster and sticker.
·Nice box.
·Uses AA batteries.
·Comes with power graph.
·IR filtered

CONS

·Expensive
·No way to lock it.
·Very sensitive button
·No instructions.
·Cannot be carried in a pocket properly.
·Beam doesn't come straight.
·No safety goggles included

Last edited by a moderator:

Adding to RT, but you must fix this:

I've not been able to take a picture of the power graph because the line is very dim, but it shows the laser peaks at 46mW and then stays at 129.2mW.

Also, to embed youtube videos: [yt*] [/yt*] (remove *s). Also, only include the text after the watch=?

Nice job on the review! The Evo Pro really is a nifty laser...

Jaseth

Very nice review - honest and thorough with good pictures.
+1 for you my friend!

Seb

Nice review!
Man, these are some good looking lasers... If you ever get tired of it send it here! ;)

Next time use PNG instead of JPG... the pics make the laser look rubbish. But its a very nice review, i like it.

removed,
N.1 An extremely annoying, inconsiderate person most commonly associated with Harley riders.
2. A person who owns or frequently rides a Harley. (source: Southpark)

removed = a guy that rides a Pink Sewing Machine... (Source: Jerry):na:

Jerry