Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Wicked lasers designing a LPM

Well somebody will have to buy one to see if they suck or are decent. I won't be that guinea pig though.

It will depend on the price....:whistle::eg:

Having it only work with a mobile device will only limit
their sales pool... and we all know how greedy WL is...

@ bobhaha...
Thanks... I don't do Facebook

Jerry

You can contact us at any time on our Website: J.BAUER Electronics

Last edited:
The actual cable looks suspiciously like a 3.5mm jack connector -- if it were a jack connector, the cable entry 'thing' (what's usually a cable gland/termination) would be the perfect size; if it were a permanently attached cable it'd be stupid to have such a large cable gland.

There's also 4 pads on the PCB (T1-T4), presumably for external connection. I'd suspect it to be USB (it'd be easier to run data and power off one connector). You can get TRRS connectors (like TRS, except with an extra pole) that would allow for the 4 poles USB requires.

I'd also hazard a guess that this thing is not much larger than a USB flash drive. The enclosure can't be too much larger than the PCB, and besides, it doesn't need to be terribly huge.

In any case, power would have to come in through the cable because there's no readout on the meter itself, and there'd be no room for any decently-sized battery in actual head.

For all we know it could just connect to a bigger 'master unit' (that would provide a readout and power). It makes sense to locate the sensor's preamp as close to the sensor as possible to cut down on noise (but that might be an engineering decision that makes sense -- probably not WL, then).

The sensor has to be an optical sensor (presumably, with an ND filter to allow for higher power readings). Because 1). there's no way you're going to get any stability out of a thermopile in such a small enclosure with little to no thermal mass, and 2). thermopiles (regardless of whether they're of radial or TEC construction) cost actual money. And we all know WL's track record when it comes to cost-cutting.

Just for the record: this is probably going to be the worst idea of WL's so far.

I dunno about worst idea ever....

Arctic%20saber.jpg

Maybe worst designed idea ever :evil:

I dunno about worst idea ever....

Maybe worst designed idea ever :evil:

Nope, the dual-sided laser (two Arctics butt-glued together at tailcap) was.

And I was laughing like an idiot at all the comments representing that "Lightsaber-kinda-sorta-lookalike" adapter.
Apparently, put some 8th grader level VFX into video and some lightsaber sounds in it, and a mass of people apparently believe it's actually a 1 meter long laser beam which is opaque but passes through other identical "sabers" just like in freaking movies.

Some comments were something along the tune of "Oh sh*t this is completely fake, I thought it was real but it's actually a plastic rod you attach to the end of your laser" completely oblivious to the fact that beam of light cannot simply stop to exist after 1 meter.

Others were more like "This is completely fake video, beam of light can't simply stop after 1 meter, this is some CGI crap, save your money, scamz!1!1!!" completely oblivious to the fact that it's actually a plastic rod you put on your laser.

To add insult to injury (or as we in Croatia say, salt to the wound), at the end of the video where two guys just spend 5 minutes fighting eachother with Arctic-saber-wannabe's, an announcer proudly announces that "...it's not a toy and you should never attempt to play with it like a lightsaber and act irresponsibly with it". Comments to THAT were hilarous.