Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Wicked Laser Arctic S3... eye damage?

Hi. A friend brought this laser over to my house to show it to me. It was night and we were outside. I did not have any eye protection on. He turned on the laser and pointed it up into the night sky. A couple of times however, the beam crossed some power lines hanging in the street and for a fraction of a second I could see the bright reflection off the lines. Could this have damaged my eyes? The power lines were about 50 feet away. This was the 1 watt version of the Arctic S3. Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:

NKO29

In my opinion probably not. I use a similar laser outside and it occasionally reflects off things like power lines. BUT if you're in doubt see a professional!

Agree virtually zero chance of damage to your eyes, if you notice any difference see a doctor ...i do the same thing at nite as well and have hit power lines 50 feet away many times not on purpose but living in suburbs its hard to miss everything around, if you have to put on glasses at nite when your shining it around what's the point

Do you notice any differences in vision afterwards?

If you're worried take a trip to the eye doctor. Better to get things straight early. If nothing turns out wrong at least you don't have much reason to worry.

Though, in my opinion, you should be fine.

Power lines? At least here, in BR, they are insulated with a black rubber-like material. :rolleyes:

Non-reflexive and diffuse enough at 50ft...

Last edited:

Things

Here in Aus the powerlines aren't insulated, however the reflection from them is harmless.

NKO29

^Around where I live, most actually are insulated now. It is a good thing, because now i dont have to see the poor flying foxes dead on the wires so often :(

Things

In my area, they're pretty much all underground. About time too, since every 3 years or so a cyclone comes along and knocks them all down :p

True in new areas in Australia underground but my suburb is near city and very old, but if you cant let rip at night with your laser pointing into the sky, without planes when can you

Hey thanks for all the responses guys! My fears are now quite assuaged.

I'm in the United States, so yeah, above ground power lines.