Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Why is blue so much cheaper then green?

I was looking at Wicked Lasers site again today and noticed something. For $198 you can buy a 1W Blue Laser (And I did :)) that is the "Most Powerful Portable Laser In The World". Or for the same price you can buy a 50mw Green version called the "Pro". Or you can get a 500mw version of the green for just under $3000? Why is that? :)

Blue is cheaper THAN green. Then = when, past tense. Sorry to be a pedant but I see this mistake popping up all over the place; it's spreading like a virus!!!

Blue is cheaper THAN green. Then = when, past tense. Sorry to be a pedant but I see this mistake popping up all over the place; it's spreading like a virus!!!

Thanx for that :)
usually ppl just say your writing is OK, and never tells about the mistakes..

FYI it is not the most powerful hand held laser....

The reason they are so cheap is because the diodes come from a casio home video projector. There are 24 of these diodes that are able to produce over 1W of 445nm light. The projectors are ~$800 so that's ~$33 per diode.

DJNY

And the strongest handheld laser is CNI´s 1200mW PGL-III(-C)-532

DJNY

woah how much is that?

The 1000mW 532nm was about $1450, roithner-lasers told me at their office that CNI sells a way stronger 532nm handhelds, but aren´t allowed to sell it to just "normal" customers. So I guess it should be around $1800 but I´m going to write Ava according this one.

mw for mw these blue laser diodes are the cheapest wavelength currently available in a new non-surplus diode.

Multimode.
Ah, okay. So, except for the color (and that it's being sold as a complete system), it's not conceptually any different than the high-powered diodes that Aixiz has been selling for years, and it's just another example of media whores losing an occasion to shut up.