Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Why is 532nm more expensive than 445nm?

Hi,

reading a few days this forum and it really has tons of info and reviews.
thx for this!

...but still looking for a quality portable laser 523nm that is really true 200-300mW. Reading the posts here and i think laserbtb is a fair site?

Looking at this 2 lasers:
532nm and 445nm
The 532nm of 200mW is the same in price as the 445nm of 1600mW. So the blue has 8x more power than the green and is not more expensive? This is also the 1600mW. Is this fake?

grtz from Belgium

Nope. It's not fake. The reason why 532s are more expensive than 445s is because 532s are DPSS. DPSS is different from diode lasers because it is driven by an IR diode, then passed through a crystal (dark magic, I know) to produce 532nm light. 445nm lasers are just diode driven, and the diode produces 445nm light.

Hope this helped,
-cutyall

EDIT: I forgot to add what DPSS meant. It means "Diode Pumped Solid State."

Last edited:
forget 532 buy 520 much better its diode, less sensitive to cold and u dont have to worry about unstable output and no need for ir filter as all diode lasers dont have that problem, and to me a 520 looks much better and is considered a rare color since 532 is not even a real true green its more lime green if u have both wavelengths u will see a differnce, the 520 is also called forest green for that reason.

And u cant compare, 445 diodes just because u can get a 1w laser for 120$ where a 200mW 532 green for same but thats as cutyall said they are harder to make, and high powered 532 usually are unstable, they hop up and down unlike diode which are more stable if u would measure it with a power graph u would see difference.

Last edited:
Only thing you didn't mention is that the higher powered green laser diodes have far worse divergence than 532nm DPSS lasers. Try to put a spot on a high cloud layer with a 520nm laser and unless it has a beam expander, you won't do it, unless the clouds are very low. 532nm on the other hand can put a spot on some high clouds without a problem. Although there is one exception for the 520nm laser diodes, the low powered single mode versions have low enough divergence you don't need a beam expander for them to spot a cloud, they can have even lower divergence than some of the 532nm DPSS lasers.

OK, thx for the nfo.
found a nice vid from styropyro on youtube comparing lasers. :)

from what i know:
*blue is cool color, a diode, long lifetime, high power and more stable, but has a thick beam, less visible
*green is crystal, less lifetime, more expensive, very thin beam and further and more visible
right?
I would like to know a 520nm 120mW (forest green) is the same 120mW in 532nm?

(I really have to getting deeper into this laser stuff -but i wanna buy asap one for experimental fun. Thats why i need some help in picking the right 'first one'.
The only lasers i have at home is a 20y old laser pen and 2 laser tubes from Melles Griot which uses a 1500 DC power supply. These are red lasers, beam visible only in fog.)

Thx!

The only difference between the two is color, price, and ability to function in cold weather.

-cutyall

There is more to it than that: 532nm is 12 percent brighter to the eye than 520nm, according to RHD's brightness calculator.

Also, 120mw 520nm diodes are multimode diodes, without an expander their divergence isn't as good as a 532nm DPSS laser.

NICE photo, they are cooler, how much that one new?

Last edited:
I think i go for the PL 445nm 1600mW (laserbtb).
The next will be a 532 (or forest green).

:)

Because of security reason they do not ship the 16340 battery. This battery is very rare here in Belgium. Most uses are the AA / AAA / C / D ...

Need to find it elsewhere. Is it safe to use rechargeable batteries for the laser? like this nitecore?

DX sells them, and is cheap, but again do not know if they ships to belgium.

any idea? :confused:

I think i go for the PL 445nm 1600mW (laserbtb).
The next will be a 532 (or forest green).

:)

be aware that a 1,6w laser is not that much fun really since u would want use goggles all the time, its nice for burn and show hows the boss lol but an everyday use of lasers its so overkill.. i have a 1w that i barely use because its too much power just and u miss the fun having goggles because u dont see the beam but when it comes to lasers of that power u want protect your eyes no matter what so i prefer less powerful..

yeah those batteries should work and dx sells all over world but it can take many weeks before u get them, i would look maybe on amazon EU site must be sellers that are closer to u instead maybe look there.

Last edited:
ok..
via laserbtb just ordered:
- PL 445nm 1600mW
- LP 515nm 532nm 50mW(IR filter installed)

about safety; i thought 50mW with ir filter safe enough to use without goggles.
You must be carefull with EVERY laser for blinding the eye like sudden reflexion mirroring etc ...not pointing human/animal face...no aircraft targetting....no kiddie toys

ok..
via laserbtb just ordered:
- PL 445nm 1600mW
- LP 515nm 532nm 50mW(IR filter installed)

about safety; i thought 50mW with ir filter safe enough to use without goggles.
You must be carefull with EVERY laser for blinding the eye like sudden reflexion mirroring etc ...not pointing human/animal face...no aircraft targetting....no kiddie toys

Yes 50mW 532nm with IR filter is ok without glasses, just be aware that if you took a hit in the eye it would do permanent damage. I use my 82mW 520nm without glasses but I am careful with it, no chance of reflecting back at me from a mirror, glass, or metal objects, etc. If you point it at something up close you should be able to tell if the dot is too bright to look at.

It is always safe to view the beam without glasses, it is the dot that can be even brighter than the sun that is a danger. When viewing without glasses just be sure your in control of the laser with both hands or better yet put it in a tripod on a table. Find something safe to point it at, be aware that 1600mW of 445nm is enough to be a fire hazard if pointed at one spot for a few seconds. I have a few scorch marks on walls and doors. Also be sure to avoid any direct contact with the beam, it will burn you. You must have safety glasses when burning or testing with an LPM or pointing at something up close.

Alan

Is there a special section for 520nm lasers in the forum? I checked but didnt find one for it