Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

why are there no strong 532nm diodes?

Mannitu78

well whatever lens you use, a g8 or a larger lens, does a FAC diode now actually help to get more burning distance? A real difference you can see, not just on paper? Theyre not cheap-

In a word, yes, use a G8, 3E, G2 or other M9x0.5 threaded barreled ( typical lens ) for up close work and use only a wider lens placed inches away for across the room work for which the FAC makes a big difference.

Mannitu78

well you say only across the room work, honestly ive been able to ignite things with a small spot over the room with a 1,6w 40eu laser from China that comes with a 70 cent plastic lense. Now my room isnt huge, were talking 3m to 3,5m distance maybe. Spot is still small enough to make my wooden workbench smoke very fast. From a FAC lense and a G8 i would expect much much more.

Mannitu78

Cowboy, can you tell me something about additional cooling for strong diodes? Dont want to open another threat already..i realized, even when the diode is in a copper casing with an outside heatsink, theres still a lot of free surface area an the back of the diodes, where the pins come out. I have heat transfering paste and pads for CPU and GPU components, but it doesnt seem to be the right compound for that case. I imagine something like silikon with heat-conductivity, so you can just fill up that case from the back. Sure there must exist something?

I have spoon fed you enough on this, if you had the initiative to investigate the abilities of the FAC modified diodes you would say " WOW " but continue to doubt what I say and enjoy your ready made consumer grade Chineseum.

--------------

For laser diodes over 3w you should be using a module with a solid back half so that you can pull heat from the back of the diode.

12mm%20Copper%20Modules-1.jpg

Notice the back halves top center and top right, see the ring pedestal ? That's there to make contact with the diodes backing plate.

Mannitu78

Cowboy i didnt say i love chinesium, You said, that a FAC and a G8 lens is for close up work only and you will need a bigger lens for across the room. And i said, that would be kind of disappointing because already my chinesium does good on close up work. I would expect at least 5-6m from a FAC and and a good lens. With other words i suppose FAC+ G8 is more than just "close-up" for me.

yes these modules cover the outer ring of the backside of the diode right? Now the hole is smaller for the pins to get through, are the pins allowed to have contact with case anyway? I guess not, at least not both of them. Wouldnt it be good if the back is completly closed with only 2x 1mm hole for the pins?

Last edited:
Cowboy i didnt say i love chinesium, You said, that a FAC and a G8 lens is for close up work only and you will need a bigger lens for across the room. And i said, that would be kind of disappointing because already my chinesium does good on close up work. I would expect at least 5-6m from a FAC and and a good lens. With other words i suppose FAC+ G8 is more than just "close-up" for me.

yes these modules cover the outer ring of the backside of the diode right? Now the hole is smaller for the pins to get through, are the pins allowed to have contact with case anyway? I guess not, at least not both of them. Wouldnt it be good if the back is completly closed with only 2x 1mm hole for the pins?
You need to do more research yourself as stated above. Your aggressive comments do not sit well with everyone, some are more tolerant on here than others.

Just a kind word and warning on your reputation on this board.
It will follow you.

Mannitu78

oh thx for that kind words. Maybe you could extend that kindness and underline the aggressive comments that i have commited. It might help me with my self-reflection and recovery.
Thank you.