Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

White Laser

Well, I just curious about white laser and want to ask of you that have more knowledge about technology in laser. I just find a web about Leica micro systems that developing white laser but not conventionally using mirror. Have any comment ?
Does it use mix laser to have white colour or a single diode that can produce white ? (LED can be white, why laser can't)
:beer:

White LED's aren't actually white themselves. It's actually an Ultra-violet LED, but with a thin layer of phosphorus over it's die, which brightly flouresces when under UV light, across all visible spectrum. That's why it appears white.

You can build a white laser, people have done it, it's not as uncommon. An laser show projector is build on same principle. You need to combine 3 different diodes into a single beam using PBS cubes or Dichroic mirrors.

djQUAN

White LED's aren't actually white themselves. It's actually an Ultra-violet LED, but with a thin layer of phosphorus over it's die, which brightly flouresces when under UV light, across all visible spectrum. That's why it appears white.

It's actually blue. The phosphors react to the blue light and produces the missing wavelengths to produce white.

There are also white LEDs that don't use phosphors.
LEDs - Gallium Indium Nitride UV, violet, purple, blue, aqua, turquoise, green, white. Also Gallium Arsenide and others. New LED MUSEUM! GaN, InGaN, SiC, GaAs, GaP, GaAlP, ZnSe, flashlight, flashlights.

Thanks guys, so I thought making white light should combine 3 colours, why in white LED, violet/blue + phosfor = white. Did I miss something ?

Thanks for video Bajajman (Bajaj means a transportation vehicle that full of shaking, full of noise, full of heart attack when ever it is turning suddenly . . . only the driver and God know when he is turning)
:)

djQUAN

The LED chip provides blue light. The phosphor takes some of this blue light and converts it to the missing colors needed to produce white then mixes it to the blue. Once all are combined, you get white light.

Grix

By the way, you don't really need three lasers to create white light, it's enough with two: blue and yellow or red and cyan :p

Is there any equations for that ?
Like... 405nm + 600nm = white or
420nm + 590nm = white
That would be frustating to mix them...

Or use CIE color space:

cie.jpg

Pick two wavelengths and draw a line between them (or pick 3 points and draw a triangle, etc). Any color along the line (or within the triangle) is obtainable by varying the power of each of the constituents.

edit: the curved line is color temperature - not applicable here.

Last edited:
Thanks Bro, rhd & cyparagon. I have an idea of combining those wave length throough fiber optics. In my opinion, it is easier rather than align the mirrors to make them one line. May be an end glow or side glow. Any suggestions or more idea ?? :)

(EDITTED)
....for safety googles...which one or... both wave length ??

Last edited: