Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Which to buy?

Hi Guys,

First time here. First off let me apologize for asking a question that I'm sure has been asked a bunch of times and secondly, thanks for providing so much information. I'm amazed at how much there is to know.

I'm wanting to buy a burning laser for my son. He's 27 and very responsible. Him and his friends often go to the desert to ride their dirt bikes and go skeet shooting. I wanted to give him a cool "Boy Toy".

I was looking at two lasers both of which are 1W+. I've asked both sellers if the lasers come with either plastic or glass lenses and am awaiting a reply.

Here are the two I'm considering:
Military 1W 405nm Blue Laser Pointer Pen Power Beam Burn Cigarette + Glasses | eBay

and...

US LA Thor M 2 Laser Pointer 445nm Blue Laser Beam Burn Match Paper | eBay

Both from U.S. sellers. I would love your feedback and which of the two you'd recommend or if you'd suggest something better. I don't want to spend more than $100.

I just noticed today that someone else is selling what looks to be the same laser in red as the first link, but at half the price. My gut is telling me it's too good to be true. Here is the link:
1W Power Laser Pointer Pen Red 650nm Military Zoomable Burning Beam 18650+Charge

I just wanted to know which if any of these you'd buy.

Thanks

diachi

Welcome!

There is a US seller that has the "Thor M2" with the glass lens, I'm not sure who though. Someone else will know. The glass lens is a must for sure.

I must point out that your $100 budget isn't going to be enough though. You also need to buy laser safety glasses, which for the proper, certified sets are a little over $40 each. Unless your sons and his friends get their own. Eagle Pair® 190-540nm Standard Laser Safety Goggles

I don't recommend starting out with a 1W laser either, that's a lot of power and is a huge eye hazard, not to mention a scorch the walls/blinds/couches hazard. At those powers it should be treated more like a firearm, obviously it isn't going to kill, but it can still permanently maim. One mistake and you have permanent vision loss.

Last edited:
I got my thor recently from this ebay auction, it says it ships from HK but mine actually shipped from ontario, california and was in my hands 2 days after ordering.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the info on the goggles. The more I read the more I learn. That the goggles that come with most of these lasers especially 1W and just junk. I'll definitely pick up a pair of the ones you suggested. Again, he is very responsible but at the same time I don't want him to learn lessons the hard way. Thanks Diachi

John

I got my thor recently from this ebay auction, it says it ships from HK but mine actually shipped from ontario, california and was in my hands 2 days after ordering.

I saw this one too. I was wondering why it's only $50 while all the others are $75. Do you know if the one you bought comes with a plastic or glass lens?

Last edited:

BobMc

Just a thought, after you get safety glasses think about a custom build? You can get a 1-2 watt 445 c6 build for a little over a hundred and the nice thing about a custom build is if it breaks it can be repaired. Most of the store bought are real hard to get into. Also c6 is about the diameter of your thumb and five inch long. Means it can be carried in a pocket. Makes it easy to carry in case you need a signal light for emergency's . But remember these are no toy's and there's no do over's because eye's don't grow back. So food for thought. But safety first!

Just a thought, after you get safety glasses think about a custom build? You can get a 1-2 watt 445 c6 build for a little over a hundred and the nice thing about a custom build is if it breaks it can be repaired. Most of the store bought are real hard to get into. Also c6 is about the diameter of your thumb and five inch long. Means it can be carried in a pocket. Makes it easy to carry in case you need a signal light for emergency's . But remember these are no toy's and there's no do over's because eye's don't grow back. So food for thought. But safety first!

VERY good point. Thank you. I don't have the time to build something out and his B-Day is around the corner. Do you know of a company or individual that sells the custom build you're talking about? BTW, I'm going to buy 3 pairs of these Goggles. One for him and his two buddies. I'd rather be safe than looking on eBay for a "White Cane".

I don't mind spending more for more. I learned a long time ago that the saying "You get what you pay for" has it's merits for a reason.

I saw this one too. I was wondering why it's only $50 while all the others are $75. Do you know if the one you bought comes with a plastic or glass lens?

Yes it came with a glass lens, definitely will benefit from a lens upgrade though. I put a G2 in mine and it gets busy burning much quicker these days. My guess is it is cheaper because it doesnt come with the case most of theo thers do. It did come with batteries (trash them, anything with 'fire' in the name is usually garbage) a 2 bay charger (would also trash that and get a good one, nitecore, efest luc) as well as 5 diffusion caps. As stated previously a custom build will usually get you much more for your money

Last edited:

BobMc

VERY good point. Thank you. I don't have the time to build something out and his B-Day is around the corner. Do you know of a company or individual that sells the custom build you're talking about? BTW, I'm going to buy 3 pairs of these Goggles. One for him and his two buddies. I'd rather be safe than looking on eBay for a "White Cane".

I don't mind spending more for more. I learned a long time ago that the saying "You get what wyou pay for" has it's merits for a reason.

If your serious, I would pm a member named 94z28 he does good/quick work. Talk to him and see what could be worked out?

Pman is offering some nice blues at 1.3 watts for $76.80 but an essential $40 pair of goggles will push the price to around $120 with shipping. Batteries and a charger will be another $12 bare minimum.

Awesome guys - Thanks. I have to say, I've been online since the the old BBS days. I've been to many forums. I have never been to a forum with so much information and such awesome users. Have you ever heard the words US Robotics 2400 Baud? If so well... :) You guys are amazing.

Last edited: