Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Which Host to Use??

NO4H99

I was looking into buying a high powered (3w-ish) blue laser, but decided that it would be cheaper and more fun to build it myself.

I was wondering what host you guys would suggest that:
1) Wouldn't cost me a ton (taking the heatsink into account). I'm hoping to spend less than $175ish on this build.
2) Would have decent duty cycles (at least 60 seconds - preferably more) at this high of a power.

Or, do you guys think that a custom host (like one of sinner's) would be a better option. (if regular hosts+heatsinks aren't much cheaper)

Thanks in advance for any help.

NKO29

I would go with a nice host like sinner makes. You may have seen the Kryton Groove thread? they are perfect.

I would go with a nice host like sinner makes. You may have seen the Kryton Groove thread? they are perfect.
This guy has good taste i have one and ideally i would like a set of four of them in all common laser colors.

NO4H99

Ok thanks.

Those don't need a heatsink or anything, right? All I'd need would be the diode (in a module, the lens, and a driver, correct?

NKO29

WRONG! You need to have the diode BY ITSELF. Kryton grooves are press fit and act as a module for better heat transfer to the rest of the host.

NO4H99

Ok, And the same with the sinner hosts?

thanks again for the help.

NKO29

This guy has good taste i have one and ideally i would like a set of four of them in all common laser colors.
Good taste in hosts, HORRIBLE luck in diodes... Pm coming btw.

There so many great hosts from the sublime sinner made hosts, to Kryton grooves, and then the usual C6,501b,S4 and so on really only depends on two things how much you want to pay and do you just want to put a complete module in like a 501b setup. Or Do your own diode setting into the heatsink and "build it ' work out that decision first then get a host.

SKeeZ

Get an MS-Envy. They have fantastic heat dissapation and you should be able to achieve a 60 Second duty cycle. just search the forums for MS-Envy or contact sinner.

You could also go with a Saik 305. (Search the forum for 'saik 305' to see many build examples.) I have one with a massive copper heatsink, running a 9mm, and it's one of my favorite lasers. Nice, heavy, stubby host. Someone on the board was selling heatsinks for these not too long ago, IIRC.

For a much easier (and just as cool) way out, I'd go with a 9mm Kryton as others have suggested. The press-fit head is a plus, and the battery options (2x16350) make it easy to build. (For my Saik I had to use 3x14500 in series, so the run time isn't that long, but the duty cycle is pretty much continuous.)

Sinner's hosts are also a great option. I have an MS-V1 that I love.