Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Where to buy?

Fill

Sorry if this is a retarded question, i just got started building lasers and cant find anywhere to buy laser hosts, and also is dtrs laser shop still alive?

Fill

Thanks, and after searching for a bit i found out you can buy of this forum, seems a bit sketchy, is it safe?

If you know which diode you want, you can often find them cheaper on eBay from sellers like Techhood, Newgazer, Existotem and LaserLands. Laserland.net is cheaper than eBay if you find something that LaserLands has on eBay. I am hoping DTR will start filling orders again soon. I am down to 1 TO-5 12 mm module. I still have a few TO-18 copper modules but I do prefer the copper modules DTR supplies over the much cheaper Chinese version of the AixiZ nickel plated brass modules. I see Barnett has NDB7875s in stock for anyone looking for that diode. $29.95 isn't bad for that diode, but you can buy the other diodes, lenses and other items cheaper from the Chinese sellers on eBay.

Last edited:
We need copper modules, without copper you lose output to heat fade faster, especially in the case of the 5w+ overdriven 9mm diodes, they need the copper back half to pull heat from more than the diodes backing plate edge.

I have some but not enough to sell any, I am thinking Rich/Lifetime17 can make some if anyone needs then ask him.

Also I think a copper module back half without the pedestal would be better, like the way Rick Trent makes his copper modules to get a better purchase on the backing plate.

Last edited:
Hi,
The Vets here will steer you in the right direction so relax they will not misinform you on a purchase or safety issues ,

Rich:)

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
If you want Laser hosts, ^^^^^ this guy ^^^^^ right here is a good place to start for high quality custom hosts, just check out his signature! :)

Sorry if this is a retarded question, i just got started building lasers and cant find anywhere to buy laser hosts, and also is dtrs laser shop still alive?

I was wondering if i should get the 7w nubm44 module or the 2w m140 module, the thing is i'm concerned that the beam divergence on the 7w laser is to much when looking at the beam at night, is it to noticeable if you used a 3 element lens?
An expander will decrease the fast and slow axis. Will it still be noticeable yes. But your personal level of tolerance is what matters. A suggestion would be to use a cylindrical lens pair to correct both axis. Or just one cylindrical lens to correct the fast axis. That will create a square-ish beam that at some distance will look round.

He may want to start with the m-140, but remember that that too must be respected, laser safety glasses must be worn when working with any of these lasers, of course you can view the beam that terminates far field as long as you do so safely, but when working up close safety glasses are a must, and beware of reflections.

Yes the divergence of the NUBM44 is 3 times as wide as the m-140, with a 3E lens the m-140 looks like pretty much like a beam when shown into the far field, but the 44 makes a noticeable line, granted the m-140 makes a line 1/3 as long but is looks a lot better to the naked eye when viewed safely, even at short distances viewed through laser safety glasses you can see how much more divergent the nubm44 is, all mine use beam expanders and/or c-lens correction, for desktop duty I still enjoy a 7875.

Last edited:
The M140 diodes are great for getting powers just over 2 watts when driven at 1.8 amps and paired with a short focal length asperic lens. You can get the lens on eBay for $8.00 or less and the diode is very inexpensive at less than $17.00. It is a good burning laser at distances up to 10 feet. It will burn into wood quite easily. Not a bad choice for a first build.

''Sorry if this is a RETARDED question, i just got started building lasers and cant find anywhere to buy laser hosts, and also is dtrs laser shop still alive? ''

Please do not use that word here-- it is offensive and unkind.

if you cant find hosts?? where are you looking?? duh
DTR shop is temp closed.. & he does not sell many/any hosts and no completed lasers.
see Jayrob- Lifetime- Flaminpyro- or post a WTB in the BS&T section-- someone will have one FS..

Yes the divergence of the NUBM44 is 3 times as wide as the m-140, with a 3E lens the m-140 looks like pretty much like a beam when shown into the far field, but the 44 makes a noticeable line, granted the m-140 makes a line 1/3 as long but is looks a lot better to the naked eye when viewed safely, even at short distances viewed through laser safety glasses you can see how much more divergent the nubm44 is, all mine use beam expanders and/or c-lens correction, for desktop duty I still enjoy a 7875.

Just to clarify:

1) You said "the m-140 makes a line 1/3 as long" Does this mean the M-140 beam is 1/3 as long as a NUBM44 beam when looking at the beam from the side at a distance? So the NUBM44 beam has a roughly 3 times longer reach into the sky?

2) At distances beyond roughly 100 - 200 ft, does the NUBM44 beam have a more or less intense beam toward the end point of the beam when compared to the M-140? Just asking because even though the NUBM44 is more powerful than the M-140, that power is spread out over a wider beam.

3) Is it correct to assume a beam expander (like the Sanwu) will make a NUBM44 beam look like a M-140 beam in terms of beam divergence? Or is the NUBM44 beam too wide to expect that much of an improvement using an expander?

Thank you for your input.

Does anyone have any experience with this Barnett engraver/pointer kit? Any thoughts?

Thank you for your help.

Just to clarify:

1) You said "the m-140 makes a line 1/3 as long" Does this mean the M-140 beam is 1/3 as long as a NUBM44 beam when looking at the beam from the side at a distance? So the NUBM44 beam has a roughly 3 times longer reach into the sky?

2) At distances beyond roughly 100 - 200 ft, does the NUBM44 beam have a more or less intense beam toward the end point of the beam when compared to the M-140? Just asking because even though the NUBM44 is more powerful than the M-140, that power is spread out over a wider beam.

3) Is it correct to assume a beam expander (like the Sanwu) will make a NUBM44 beam look like a M-140 beam in terms of beam divergence? Or is the NUBM44 beam too wide to expect that much of an improvement using an expander?

Thank you for your input.

To be clear, he is talking about the beam profile. The NUBM44 has an axis that is three times as divergent as the M140 diode. To correct for that we use both 6X cylindrical lens pairs and beam expanders to tame its wild divergence. The cylindrical lens pairs are mounted very close to the collimating lens. The BE is then put on the outside of the host at its aperture.