Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Where can I get a Green Line Laser in Aust?

Hi All

I have been playing with the software tool "David Lasercanner" over the past few days using a handheld laser barcode scanner, and getting pretty good results. For background: David Laserscanner allows you to use a webcam and a laser generated line to scan in 3D objects. I am looking to develop a cheap method of scanning in fossil mammal bones for my PHD.

The results are ok, but would be greatly improved with a better laser, a green line laser has been suggested as the next step up. Here in Australia, as everyone knows, lasers are not cheap or easy to get. People seem to have varying results importing modules from overseas.

Does anyone have any ideas as to where I can get a 5, 10, 30 mW strength green line laser module/pen/anything in Melbourne?

If it possible to get the line generating optic to place over a module such as the one listed here:

10mW Green Laser Module - Jaycar Electronics

and if so, where I could source one from?

Thanks in advance,

Molloch

Although pointers are illegal to import, thankfully, modules are not. Green line-generating modules can be easily found on eBay, and at much lower prices than the (very overpriced) Jaycar modules.

Here's a link:

2pcs 532nm 10mw Green Laser Line Module/Industrial/Lab - eBay (item 260536878392 end time Jan-07-11 09:19:42 PST)

I have the 30mW version of this module, and it runs extremely stable, and is on spec. (not to mention the fantastic beam specs, but these won't be noticable with a line generating optic)

Alternatively, you can buy a cheaper green laser module, and install a line-generating optic.

Either option would be cheaper than the Jaycar module, though.

Here's a link to the line generating optics:

one word line laser lens for 650nm and 635nm - eBay (item 120664009980 end time Jan-23-11 18:21:41 PST)

Although it is designed for red, it will work for green with little to no problem.

Hope this helps,

-goninan_bl00d