Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Where Can I Buy 5mw Infrared Lasers?

I think it is quite low of a member here to say that another member is trying to con someone when he has no idea of what hell he is talking about it only ends up making him look stupid in the end, people should get there facts stright befor commenting on something that way they don't end up looking so much like an ass hat :scowl:

@byrnz93 how many lasers have you built dude ? lets see em show us a picture of your superior laser skills that makes you an expert so you can give advice where it isn't wanted, come on let's see all them lasers of yours !

Greg, may I ask who quoted you $125 for a 5mW IR? Because that is quite low of a member here to attempt to con another

Last edited:

I apologise for my rashness Flaminpyro, I didn't consider build costs and the complexity as well (led indicators, host construction, etc). If your build is of high quality then I have no doubt it is worth every dollar.

Thank you I will for sure accept your apology, please ask more questions it's always best to have as much info about what you are talking about, it makes us all look a little bit smarter :whistle:

Peace All...

I apologise for my rashness Flaminpyro, I didn't consider build costs and the complexity as well (led indicators, host construction, etc). If your build is of high quality then I have no doubt it is worth every dollar.

zirdo

For cold laser therapy 780nm would be preferrable,, any where between 250mw to 400mw for a single diode focused out to between 1-3 inches. For a better therapy you would need to be able to modulate the laser at certin frequencies,,,different fruquencies for different therapies. google nogier frequencies. I'm afraid I can't give you more help on constructing one,,,I think that would be an interesting project I might want to try.

daguin

For cold laser therapy 780nm would be preferrable,, any where between 250mw to 400mw for a single diode focused out to between 1-3 inches. For a better therapy you would need to be able to modulate the laser at certin frequencies,,,different fruquencies for different therapies. google nogier frequencies. I'm afraid I can't give you more help on constructing one,,,I think that would be an interesting project I might want to try.

Always look at the date of the post. This was done over a month ago.

Peace,
dave

zirdo

Always look at the date of the post. This was done over a month ago.

Peace,
dave
yeah I know,,,,but i figured the orignal poster might check and the info might be relavent to what he's wanting to do.

zirdo

daguin

yeah I know,,,,but i figured the orignal poster might check and the info might be relavent to what he's wanting to do.

zirdo

It is not my intention to argue with you. However, think about the situation here. The OP knew what he wanted. He got a builder involved. There has been no posts here for over a month.

Do you really think he might still be sitting there wondering what to do?

Peace,
dave

zirdo

And tell me,,adding this information was harmful to who? Ahh,,no one, that's right. Over a month ago I used the search to look for information very similar, you know what, there was none. So for anyone else that comes here looking for this type of information now they will have more than what they had before.

zirdo

daguin

And tell me,,adding this information was harmful to who? Ahh,,no one, that's right. Over a month ago I used the search to look for information very similar, you know what, there was none. So for anyone else that comes here looking for this type of information now they will have more than what they had before.

zirdo

And so you want to fight for your right to post. Fine. It's your reputation. Spend it any way you want.

Peace,
dave

And so you want to fight for your right to post. Fine. It's your reputation. Spend it any way you want.

Peace,
dave

dont be starting a fight with daguin, you cant win, its not possible, he knows all and sees all. Plus hes a teacher, so, hes always 5.5 steps ahead of you.

The OP knew what he wanted. He got a builder involved. There has been no posts here for over a month. Do you really think he might still be sitting there wondering what to do?

Actually, he is still sitting here wondering what to do. For some reason, this URL showed in my browser history today, so I thought I should login to see if I have any fresh messages.

I still prefer Infrared 5mw since that is what the major therapeutic lasers use. I got a $100+ quote for a high-quality build. But I'd rather experiment with a lower quality model for my first laser. If anyone can build this or help me find a retailer, I'd be thankful.

PM sent.

Actually, he is still sitting here wondering what to do. For some reason, this URL showed in my browser history today, so I thought I should login to see if I have any fresh messages.

I still prefer Infrared 5mw since that is what the major therapeutic lasers use. I got a $100+ quote for a high-quality build. But I'd rather experiment with a lower quality model for my first laser. If anyone can build this or help me find a retailer, I'd be thankful.

daguin

You are then the exception to the rule. Once a thread sits for several weeks, the original intentions and/or situation has usually changed. Sometimes "life" gets in the way of an intention. However, when that happens rarely will a random message kick one back into gear. Usually it takes the elimination of the distracting influence to allow the original intention to come to the fore again.

As to the question of a lower quality model, you were already pointed toward low powered modules on eBay. You could easily power one of those with a battery and a switch to see if this idea had merit for you. Then you could make the decision as to whether a higher quality model was desirable.

Peace,
dave

As to the question of a lower quality model, you were already pointed toward low powered modules on eBay. You could easily power one of those with a battery and a switch to see if this idea had merit for you.

I'm interested, but I don't know the difference between a module vs. a laser. And I don't know how to use a module?

daguin

I'm interested, but I don't know the difference between a module vs. a laser. And I don't know how to use a module?

You hold the red wire to the positive end of the battery and the black wire to the negative end. This would give you the cheap opportunity to test whether low powered IR would do what you wanted to by actually using it. Then, if it worked, you could have a good quality hand held built for you.

Peace,
dave

zirdo

You are correct, that 5mW @ 780nm-1066nm(NIR/IR) is what most of them used, however, we have several of these devices that we use on the horse farm and I've done quite a bit of research on them and I can tell you that the older models indeed used 5mW but what they would do is group them together into say 20 LD's to get 100mW of combined energy. The more recent models use LD's at a much higher mW's to accomplish the same thing in less time. Here is a link to one of the devices we use Pegasus Therapy Laser :: :: :: index If you study this you will notice that it operates at 10000mW. That's why I indicated that you would accomplish the same thing useing a higher mW LD at NIR(780nm) This link will explain that better Encyclopedia of Laser Physics and Technology - infrared light, IR viewer, near, mid, far, heat radiation

Actually anything in the range NIR/IR of 780nm to 980nm is preferred for the deep penatration. Or you could even use a few as long as the beam is focused out. After reading a lot on here I'm sure there are more than a few of these guys that could help you throw something together and probaby with modulation if wanted. Sorry for the long post,,,went on a rant

Zirdo