Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

When will a 1W portable green laser arrive?

nikokapo said:
maybe i am digressing, why would you want a 1W besides for lab testing? (or popping balloons faster)
well i myself would like this for
1. a more visible beam (it would look amazing at night).
2. brightness
3. more burning power lol

MERC

Its possible but it whould be about the size of a shoe box with a handle.

well i see it happening a bit sooner technology advances exponentially UoM has built a uhhum Table Top Tera Watt as they like to call it but its pulse,

yes the first ones would be rather large and would require a nice size battery and TEC system to make it usable which would kinda cut down on portability

But hey you guys got my engineering gears turning i might try and build this.

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, you right!" Henry Ford

If they can put a space shuttle into space, they can make a 1w green handheld.  Just a matter of "How much it's gonna cost." If I had the research funds, I betcha I could do it.  Be a wee little bigger than a standard pointer though.  Use a 2w C-mount pump, diode, silver thermal transfer block, heatpipe, and run it off of Li-po.

Are we talking like a few seconds run time, or extended?

You could already get a semi-portable around 8000mw laser... http://www.laserglow.com/index.php?lrs532

Get a backpack with some big lead acid batteries a dc to ac converter then hook it up to that put the controller in the backpack and hold the actual laser.

Should only weigh around 50 pounds...

..lazer... ;D ;D ;D

Things

monel_funkawitz said:
8 watt green.  IR leakage would give you a Carmen Electra looking tan from 30 feet.  :eek:
Thats why they put IR filters in it.

well...maybe some AWESOME heatsink that fits on your hand, then some nanotubes batteries and a peltier to cool it down...

I have actually been making some design schematics for a 1-watt hand held i just need to get the diode. The cooling system is gonna be a little interesting, the driver board will definitely have to be custom The peltier cake cooler would be a good idea just the hot side would be so hot it would make it dangerous to hold. anyone want to pitch in ill take the design to the local machine shop to get it cut. I think it LI-NM batteries would be best and use a fluid filled heat pipe system for cooling definitely gonna have to have key lock out and safety interlock.

any input and ideas would be greatly appreciated

maxpcuser said:
I have actually been making some design schematics for a 1-watt hand held i just need to get the diode. The cooling system is gonna be a little interesting, the driver board will definitely have to be custom The peltier cake cooler would be a good idea just the hot side would be so hot it would make it dangerous to hold. anyone want to pitch in ill take the design to the local machine shop to get it cut. I think it LI-NM batteries would be best and use a fluid filled heat pipe system for cooling definitely gonna have to have key lock out  and safety interlock.

well i think that if u use a nice peltier module and a good heatsink (the laser, pure metal, copper or aluminium, as a heatsink, as usual) you wont get ur hand burnt while using it. maybe if it overheats u could add a temp. sensor and disable the use after X seconds.

nikokapo said:
[quote author=maxpcuser link=1204810712/15#26 date=1205110820]I have actually been making some design schematics for a 1-watt hand held i just need to get the diode. The cooling system is gonna be a little interesting, the driver board will definitely have to be custom The peltier cake cooler would be a good idea just the hot side would be so hot it would make it dangerous to hold. anyone want to pitch in ill take the design to the local machine shop to get it cut. I think it LI-NM batteries would be best and use a fluid filled heat pipe system for cooling definitely gonna have to have key lock out and safety interlock.

well i think that if u use a nice peltier module and a good heatsink (the laser, pure metal, copper or aluminium, as a heatsink, as usual) you wont get ur hand burnt while using it. maybe if it overheats u could add a temp. sensor and disable the use after X seconds.[/quote]
i would think that the heatsink would have to be pretty large. correct me if im wrong.
although, a liquid cooled heatsink would be pretty radical :D