Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

When will a 1W portable green laser arrive?

When do you think the first 1W portable green laser will arrive?
Personally i think it will arrive in the end of 2009.

Switch

Why 2009? You could make a 10W portable if you carry a battery backpack and and a "grenade launcher" laser barrel :D

Ace82

I have an electric RC helicopter that uses a 12v lithium polymer battery @ 2200ma that powers a blushless motor that spools at 17,000 rpm for +/- 20 min. The battery is extremely light (about 1/4 the weight of a comparable NiMh). LiPo is the same technology used in electric vehicles.

I believe the question is, when would they release a portable 1W laser to the public? I'm sure it already exist, but can you imagine how dangerous it would be in the wrong hands? You can buy 500mW for around $2k, so wouldn't you be able to buy a 1W for around $4k?

All in all, just speculating, I really have no idea. :-?

Ok, i will ask in another way:
When do you think the popular companies like Laserglow, Opto, Nova and dragonlasers "releases" a 1 Watt portable green laser?

maybe i am digressing, why would you want a 1W besides for lab testing? (or popping balloons faster)

Until a new tech comes out, perhaps never. You may see some freak lasers at that level, but to get a stable unit of that power with current techniques, you would need one hell of a heatsink/battery setup. This is one of those cases where you just need the brute force of heatsinking and battery power, not those nice subtle nuances of better technology (which can slow up power by percentages, but won't give allow a nice jump like that without a better heat dissipation design)

Ace82

Isn't there ways of using an electric cooling system, like a fan or even a tiny water pump? Just imagining, I don't really know what I'm talking about. :-?

a 1watt portable green would be awesome, a true light saber yet i doubt the beam would be visible outside in daytime.
contact LG for the best Herc, theyr not that far behind a W.

Maybe when they make a 1W 'direct' diode and someone sticks it in a D- cell flashlight. But I don't see green diodes (I already know current greens are DPSS) exceeding 1W for commercial/recreational use. Besides, it would probably cost more than three times my tuition.

WL claims their mysterious (I think fictional) "Mantis" laser is a portable 1W DPSS @532nm.

Ace82 said:
I have an electric RC helicopter that uses a 12v lithium polymer battery @ 2200ma that powers a blushless motor that spools at 17,000 rpm for +/- 20 min. The battery is extremely light (about 1/4 the weight of a comparable NiMh). LiPo is the same technology used in electric vehicles.

I believe the question is, when would they release a portable 1W laser to the public? I'm sure it already exist, but can you imagine how dangerous it would be in the wrong hands? You can buy 500mW for around $2k, so wouldn't you be able to buy a 1W for around $4k?

All in all, just speculating, I really have no idea. :-?

I bet you have a trex ;D or a shogun/zoom 400

BlueFusion said:
You don't seriously believe that...

That WL has a top secret 1W portable DPSS green used by the military? Hell no.
Hence the "(I think fictional)" in that last post.

Ace82

cbrian4 said:
[quote author=Ace82 link=1204810712/0#3 date=1204822996]I have an electric RC helicopter that uses a 12v lithium polymer battery @ 2200ma that powers a blushless motor that spools at 17,000 rpm for +/- 20 min.  The battery is extremely light (about 1/4 the weight of a comparable NiMh).  LiPo is the same technology used in electric vehicles.

I believe the question is, when would they release a portable 1W laser to the public?  I'm sure it already exist, but can you imagine how dangerous it would be in the wrong hands?  You can buy 500mW for around $2k, so wouldn't you be able to buy a 1W for around $4k?  

All in all, just speculating, I really have no idea.   :-?

I bet you have a trex  ;D or a shogun/zoom 400[/quote]

Actually, I have a Frankenstein Walkera 60. I'm actually discussing that right now on another thread http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1190555925/30#30 In about 3 hrs I’m posting photos of it and my other RC toys. :)