Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What's the mw of the IR pump laser in a 5mw green?

Also, is there a good "rule of thumb" regarding the wattage of the 808 IR pump diode and it's subsequent green laser output?'

Thanks in advance.

Re: What's the mw of the IR pump laser in a 5mw gr

200mW for 5mW greens-- 500mW for 50 or higher usually

[ch12290 said:
]200mW for 5mW greens-- 500mW for 50 or higher usually

Ouch!
That high?

Then to pump a 100mw green, you need a 1.5 amp IR diode?

-that's going to make things difficult for me....

YEah, the efficiency is not too good-- at most 20% from pump to output-- usually 5-10% for cheap pointers

Not true. The 175mW pens have a .5W diode.

The good old leadlights used 200mW 808nm diodes for 5mW, but they were notorious for being made with the parts of a more powerful laser, and just tuned down for legal/quality reasons. Nowadays with all the cheap 5mW units flooding the market I'd be plenty of them have less power than that. As mentioned above, efficiency on cheap lasers may be very low compared to higher power lasers simply because 808nm diode are dirt cheap, but efficient crystals aren't.

Cyparagon said:
Not true. The 175mW pens have a .5W diode.

I don't know, man.. I've never seen a laser produce 175mW of pure green from only 500mW in.. maybe 175mW of green and IR together...

pseudonomen137 said:
The good old leadlights used 200mW 808nm diodes for 5mW, but they were notorious for being made with the parts of a more powerful laser, and just tuned down for legal/quality reasons. Nowadays with all the cheap 5mW units flooding the market I'd be plenty of them have less power than that. As mentioned above, efficiency on cheap lasers may be very low compared to higher power lasers simply because [highlight]808nm diode are dirt cheap, but efficient crystals aren't.[/highlight]

The quality of crystals has gone up a lot recently even in cheap pointers.. As they continue to improve, so will the efficiency and stability. Eventually I expect most DPSS lasers will be replaced by diode lasers as more and more colors are developed...

ElektroFreak said:
[quote author=Cyparagon link=1236394798/0#4 date=1236423404]Not true. The 175mW pens have a .5W diode.

I don't know, man.. I've never seen a laser produce 175mW of pure green from only 500mW in.. maybe 175mW of green and IR together...[/quote]

I admit I've been out of the loops as far as lasers go for a few months, but last I remember the ONLY reliable 175mW pen size laser was made by CNI with their 500mW pump. Last I checked they only offer up to 150mW, but I've ordered and sold some of these units before that have spec'd up to >170mW. The diode is the same as in their considerably lower power units, but the crystal assembly is a much more expensive/high spec piece.

^As I'm not really familiar with that particular module, I can't be absolutely certain about it's specifications, but last I heard the maximum efficiency possible for the green DPSS process was maybe 30% in a lab environment under highly controlled conditions.. 175mW of pure 532mW output (not including any residual IR) from a 500mW pump is on the high side of that, so those must be some really nice crystals.

JLSE

I recently oredered 10 leadlights from z-bolt for the housings. I find with the leadlights that the crystal sets cannot handle much in comparison to any of the china crystal sets ive played with.

I have a 5mW pointer from 2001 purchased from z-bolt (Beam of light technologies) at the time cost 350$ US. It came with the (modded 7mW) option and still performs like a champ til this day, thousands of hours later.

I just tested it and it draws 315mA. I then tested the newer version ($35.) which is pulsed, and that one draws 134mA outputting 2.8mW on my lasercheck.

I mounted a crystal set from the newer pens, as they looked promising at first being three times the size over the stuff DX sells. The most I could get from the zbolt crystals was 10mW at best. Where as the lowest efficiency sets from DX will do 10mW and the highest with the smaller size ones putting out 120mW which I have in recent pen builds.

I think with the china crystals, they aim for the highest possible, and the company that makes the leadlight modules are happy so long as they put out at least 5mW.

I have no intention of taking apart my older leadlight, as it was a gift. Here is a pic of two burnt sets from my junk box for size comparisson:)

*Edit.. From my experiance with DX modules ranging from the newish series to the Rominsen etc, they all use around 300mW pumps for a variety of outputs ranging from 5mW up to 50mW. Anything producing 50mW - 120mW of 532 use 500mW pumps, and higher than that using 1watt pumps.

That info comes by way of over 70 pens and other greenies slaughtered in the name of higher education ::)

Attachments

• scrap_crystals.jpg
    scrap_crystals.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 504

^The size difference is pretty large.. So you're saying that the much larger leadlight crystals on the left are less efficient, and therefore don't work as well as the tiny China crystals on the right? That means those leadlight crystals must be very low quality. Typically the size helps determine the power output and pump capacity..

JLSE

ElektroFreak said:
^The size difference is pretty large.. So you're saying that the much larger leadlight crystals on the left are less efficient, and therefore don't work as well as the tiny China crystals on the right? That means those leadlight crystals must be very low quality. Typically the size helps determine the power output and pump capacity..

The crystals certainly look like a higher quality, being marked and in much nicer brass assemblies. But somehow the china sets are way better. Ive used china sets that are 30% efficient on average compared to 2-5% :-/

Mind you the optics in the leadlights are far superior, and the IR filter is almost never present in the china setups.

ElektroFreak said:
[quote author=Cyparagon link=1236394798/0#4 date=1236423404]Not true. The 175mW pens have a .5W diode.

I don't know, man.. I've never seen a laser produce 175mW of pure green from only 500mW in.. maybe 175mW of green and IR together...
[/quote]
I have a CNI pen that averages 171mW that has a 500mW pump, and that isn't from IR. The power metering isn't off either, I got it from Pseudo and we all know his meter isn't crap. ;D

Thanks all.

One last question,
I have a 200mw 808 IR diode that I want to use as a replacement pump for a burnt out greenie.
About how much, if any, can I overdrive it for more wattage? 5%, 10% 20%?

Thanks again. -SK

styropyro said:
I have a CNI pen that averages 171mW that has a 500mW pump, and that isn't from IR. The power metering isn't off either, I got it from Pseudo and we all know his meter isn't crap. ;D

Without an IR filter, how can you be sure that you're measuring green only? Or does your pen have an IR filter?

JLSE

SuicideKing said:
Thanks all.

One last question,
I have a 200mw 808 IR diode that I want to use as a replacement pump for a burnt out greenie.
About how much, if any, can I overdrive it for more wattage?  5%, 10% 20%?

Thanks again. -SK

You wont be able to just re&re the diode.. You have to first swap it out, remove the crystal set and optic. Then with your 808 goggles.. find the sweetspot for the crystals, line everything up and glue with epoxy. If this is your first time doing this proceedure, dont count on any major power increases.. Just be thankful for what you get, and focus on the beam quality.

What laser are you working with anyway?