Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Whats a safe ma to test out unknown LD's?

Jinx

Don't use 200mA on a bare diode. That diode has barely heatsinking and will overheat fast !
Get some fine sandpaper or a sandstone to grind the edge of the diode smooth. It will then fit a module.

Oh Okay, did i take a risk running at 125mah? it was only on for about 10-15 seconds at most.. I was going to ask about sand paper, guess that answers my question. Do you have a recommened grit?

And about the possible loose glass lense inside the LD's can, how is that going to affect things?

Jinx

Best way is to decan the diode. You don't want to have a loose glass inside the diode. It will cut the tiny wires off eventually.

I decan it with a Dremel, http://laserpointerforums.com/f48/pictures-decanned-445nm-diode-68462.html
You can also use the knife method. Hold the sharp knife to the can and turn the diode a few times until the can pops off.

WOW fantastic pictures!!!

I'm not sure that there's like a loose peice of glass floating around in there, i just mean the circular peice that you can see the light relfect off , i think its not 'held in place' and so it jiggles a tiny bit back and forth.. it still generally in the same place it always was.. Thats what i assume it to be anyways...

A knife can cut through that can? it looks thick like a knife wouldn't get through it?

Blord

You don't need to cut it off in one stroke. Just turn the diode till the can fall off

Jinx

Okay I may give that a try...
What does that peice of glass that is there do?

Jinx! I strongly recommend that you go spend a few $ on a new soldering iron, or at least a decent tip for it. That thing you are using is huge and not suited for delicate electronics like this hobby calls for :beer:

Jinx

Jinx! I strongly recommend that you go spend a few $ on a new soldering iron, or at least a decent tip for it. That thing you are using is huge and not suited for delicate electronics like this hobby calls for :beer:

You sir are right!

I've been eyeballing 'weller' brand ones, think thats not a bad choice?
I'll have to wait till i come into a little extra money first :)

While Weller is top of the line, do you really need such high-end equipement?

I picked up an Hakko knockoff called Aoyue 936, and it works BEAUTIFULLY for all my soldering and re-working needs and requirements, and it costs maybe 50% of original Hakko station.

Just go to eBay and search for Aoyue 936, or anything from 900 family, it'll serve you well.

Blord

I used to have the same bulky solder iron as the TS but that was a while ago.
I have also the Aoyue 936 soldering station. The spare heating element is still not used.
Still going strong with the first ceramic heating element. I like the analog temperature setting much better than the digital version. I can recommend it.

Jinx

My first search results on ebay put those at around 90-100 bucks shipped. WEllers aren't that much more and sometimes less if you go used.. I also was kind of meaning just the red/orange handle wellers too possibly, the stuff i've owned untill now has been radio shack cheapy stuff that ends up not warming up anymore after about 10-15 uses.. This 35 watter has kept going though, but the tip is so mangled and dirty and destroyed its all but useless now for most jobs...

will take your guyses recommendation into consideration though! I cant afford one right now, but as i look in the future i will check for this brand!

Really?! :thinking:

I got mine for like $50 or something shipped from Germany with free DHL. Arrived in like, one week.

There's gotta be some better deals. Go with "Price: Lowest first + shipping" option in eBay search results. After you scroll through some replacement parts that pass for search result, you'll get to the cheapest deals.

benmwv

Its only $40 on amazon.

I really want that 968 with the hot air rework station.

I spend 30$ on the one I am using and it has served we well so far. Getting a proffesional soldering station may be overkill depending on how often you use it. I have linked the one I have below. I bought it in 2010 and has had no issues with it so far. Its from a danish retail electronics store so I am vertain you can find it a lot cheaper off ebay!

Loddekolbe for SL10/20/30 - Elektronik Lavpris ApS

EDIT: I just checked ebay and there are several similar irons that cost 3+ dollars lmao.

Last edited: