Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

what's a laser diode driver?

Diodes (laser diodes) are current driven devices. The driver is like a tube in a water system.

It restricts the flow of the water (current) to the diode (sprinkler) so the top doesnt blow off with the pressure (too much current).

In the case of a laser diode, they usually have a spec sheet that is either delivered with the diode, or can be found online. The sheet tells you what size pipe to fit between the tap and the sprinkler (what the maximum current the diode can handle before going POP!). A driver has a potentiometer or pot. You adjust this pot to set the current to the recommended value. This is like getting the right sized hose for our sprinkler analogy.

Once the potentiometer is set, there is usually no further reason to change it, hence on 99% of laser pointers, you wont find a knob to adjust.

Pot modding (the act of increasing the water flow, or current) was one way of getting more power out of a cheap ebay green, at the expense of shortening the diode life, or possibly simply blowing it up.

Drivers come in different styles. Some diodes need 5V to run, and wont work off a 3.7-4.2v lipo, so the boost driver was invented. It pumps the voltage up to 5V, and regulates the current. For 2 battery models that have a battery voltage of up to 8.4 volts, the buck driver was invented. This sheds the excess voltage as heat.

Some of our drivers are very simple, but perform the work needed.

Finally, a laser diode is NOT a LED but soon will be if you continue to use the resistor alone as your current regulator.
a buck driver turns excess voltage into current a linear driver sheds it as heat you might wanna edit your post

Last edited:

here is a amp chart for some of the most popular diodes
m-140(blue{445nm})-100?-1800ma(1 to 1.4 for good life )
lpc-826(orangish-redish{660nm})-50?-500ma(200-350ma for good life)
mistbi$hie 300mw(deep red{635nm})230-400ma (230-320 for good life)
phr-805t(violet{405nm}) 10-130ma (50-100 for good life)
S06J(violet{405nm})-200?-500ma(350-450 for good life)
i think thats all the diodes that are common in laser builds although i wasnt sure about some of the min currents(dont drive them at min currents waste of money IMO)

Last edited:
I smell a troll.

You had a few links given to you. Did you even read them?

I Googled "what's the job of a laser diode driver"

And there are a plethora of information threads. Yet you still dont get it?

5055032357_69d1d1be72_z.jpg

slivershot yes i am from cyprus...apoel forever!
Guys, let's start again...
When i say "i searched in google and i didn't find anything" i mean that i found some results (not just nothing), but to understand them you need to have some extra knowledge that i don't have! So the reason that i am asking you is because most of you know much more things about lasers, diodes and generally homemade laser circuits and i would be very pleased if you could just explain in simple words...:)

Also, most of the laser diodes that i use (all of them:umbrella:) are from ebay. And my questions are;
1)if for example i use a 500mW diode, i have to use a 500mW driver?
2)and finally:bumpit: if i put a 1000mW driver, next to a 100mW diode, the result will be a 1000mW output?
thanks

I smell a troll.

You had a few links given to you. Did you even read them?

I Googled "what's the job of a laser diode driver"

And there are a plethora of information threads. Yet you still dont get it?

5055032357_69d1d1be72_z.jpg

Yeah.... you and me both....:undecided:
Either that or he doesn't want to read anything...

Also, most of the laser diodes that i use (all of them) are from ebay. And my questions are;
2)and finally if i put a 1000mW driver, next to a 100mW diode, the result will be a 1000mW output?
thanks

1) in your example 500mW refers to the Max optical output power of that Laser Diode..
That number has nothing to do with the Current the LD requires...

2) LD Drivers are set to Current not Watts (as you seem to think)

3) LD Drivers are not set or named as to the Laser's power ratings but to the Laser's
maximum allowable Current as per the Data Sheet of that Laser

4) there is no such thing as a 1000mW Driver... There is however a 1000mA driver.

I can see by your questions that you have made little effort to read anything that
was handed to you in this thread or on the Forum...
I would suggest you do some research and reading on the Forum. The answers to
your questions are here...

Jerry

Last edited:
perhaps the info is too much and too plentiful to begin, I know I was a bit overwhelmed when I first learning about building lasers, but then again, :rolleyes: I can't believe someone could use the word laser driver and not know the very basic idea of what it does. or that it
"drives a laser"

Last edited:
It took me weeks of reading to get up to speed on this
Forum. I learned a lot of stuff that I didn't know about
Lasers and drivers and I've been in the industrial electronics
field for ~25 years...

The info is here and it is free for the reading..
The question is... are "you" willing to invest the time to read
and absorb it...

Jerry

Last edited:
thank you guys for your links and your advice. Now i have aswered most of my questions, but can someone help me to find an adjustable driver (from ebay)? I saw very good reviews about this:
http://hacylon.case.edu/ebay/laser_diode/Groove_2.php
but i prefer a cheaper driver to begin because i am sure that some diodes and drivers will get fried!!! :lasergun:
:anyone:

Also, most of the laser diodes that i use (all of them:umbrella:) are from ebay. And my questions are;
2)and finally:bumpit: if i put a 1000mW driver, next to a 100mW diode, the result will be a 1000mW output?
thanks

As Jerry pointed out, drivers are rated in current, which is amps. Wattage is the light output of the laser diode.

Some laser diodes will put out an equivalent of 1 mW per mA. Many are not this efficient though. You will have to look up the laser diode that you have and determine what kind of power (mA) it can take.

Another factor is voltage some drivers put out correct voltage for a blue or Violet diode. Others are correct for green diodes.

If you drive a 100mA diode with a 1,000mA driver you will get a dead diode.

I have posted a link with some of this information above. What can we do to help you understand this?

Last edited:

vk2fro

a buck driver turns excess voltage into current a linear driver sheds it as heat you might wanna edit your post

Fixerated - thanks for the info - my brain was not fully engaged before operating keyboard.

I know now what the clicking noise means ;)

Out.. In... oh f#@k it Out (harder), in (harder)...

FFS why is my brain not engage-erating? stupid transmission :p

Last edited:

AnthoT

There are less expensive drivers then that and that one won't be getting to you anytime soon. If you want that one then contact flaminpyro. He has them

AnthoT

There are many good inexpensive drivers on this forum. Which type of driver would you like a linear or a boost driver for that diode? if you tell me I can recommend one to you

vk2fro

holy cow my screen went white then, Stupid cheap shit nvidia. Ant can you let me know when those boost drivers are ready? I'm gonna need at least 3 :)