Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

what voltage should I run my driver at

bmw

hi, Im new to this forum and i need a little help. Im building a laser and I have an axiz module and i built this driver:- YouTube - DIY: How to build a laser diode driver-. what voltage should i run this driver at? and what voltage should the diode itself get? I've burnt out like 3 diodes running the driver a 9v. and what diode do you recommend i should buy. thanks!

The Voltage is not what is killing your diodes. The LM317 does all the work and figures out what voltage is needed to go to the diode. Its either you are over driving them too much, the diodes you are using are not High Powered diode, you could have a bad LM317 and maybe hooked up the driver wrong. Need More Info.

Have you testloaded the driver to set it to the correct currant.?

Witch diode are you using.? As well as where did you get them from.? Link would be helpful too.

Picture would also make things easier to see what your set up is.

bmw

I have a red diode from a 16x dvd burner and yes i have a multimeter. I need to know where to get a diode. Im going to use a 6v battery pack and SLOWLY turn the pot this time.

^ This is not a good method. The best way to set driver is with a testload.

Your eyes cannot tell the difference between ~5mA to XXmA and this can be just enough to go over what your diode is rated and kill it.

I dont recommend you do this. I testload can be built for cheap, less then 10$ if buying things locally at radio shack. Depending how nice you want to make it.

MAKE A TESTLOAD or you will mostly likely kill all your diodes this way if you are unlucky to get it Right when turning the pot.

Heres a good place to get a diode from:
http://hightechdealz.com/index.php?cPath=21&osCsid=b06aaead73bfcbaede4731a829e41dcb

Or get in on one of the GB if you dont mind waiting.:)

Last edited:

bmw

ok how do you use the test load and do you know where i can get some safety glasses