Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What power do you prefer indoors?

I ordered from Sci-Fi Lasers a 2.4W 450nm, from O-like the 400mW 532, plus a set of Eagle pair glasses. (I understand these are very powerful lasers I have coming) I would also like a laser I can be more comfortable using indoors. Possibly 650 or 405nm violet
I'm not into burning things but I do like a visible beam without too much divergence that can be seen in med-low light setting.

I found nice 50mW 532 in a small host and I do love green lasers light. Probably my favorite but it would be nice to have a color I don't own yet.
Could anyone recommend a violet or red 650 laser with similar beam strength maybe a bit stronger? Preferably in a small host other than a pen.

Thanks

Edited to ask- on a side note, do up-loaded avatars need to be ok'd by admins? i uploaded one last night around this time but it doesn't show on my post but it does show in my profile setting.

Last edited:

Nope your avatar dosen't need to be approved. How did you upload the avatar you wanted? Did you upload it via the "profile picture" tab? If you did you want to chose the "Avatar" tab on your User CP panel & it should show up then :)

I only own <5mW pointers *except my 405* so I can't really tell you how much power is needed to see a visible beam in mid-light condition. I can say those that both these wavelengths are at the edge of what you, me & everyone else can see(generally) 405nm being even further then 650nm, so you are at least talking above 100mW+ for both!

Check out laserbtb, they are pretty good price/quality wise:
laserbtb

-Alex

I have a couple of 100mW that i find more then enough to use indoors with visible beam, super powerful lasers like 1W or more that requires goggles all the time is boring to me i prefer less powerful and the batteries last longer too. So if you are looking for 405 or 650 i would say you should get 100 or so, 405 to some people is hard too see even more powerful and 650 i have no idea how much power you need to get a visible beam indoors maybe someone who owns some can answer that.

Last edited:
FYI

'outdoors' NO laser is legal if shined at or even near
people-cars- aircraft etc. there is NO safe power maximum..- no mention of 5 mW being OK-

cops have no LPMs nor do pilots-- if it can be seen (by anyone)it is a bad thing-- If it can be seen as being aimed intentionally at aircraft it is a federal crime ( no longer 'just' a felony)-- You will likey get jail time, a fine and a criminal record- losing FOREVER your right to vote or own firearms and in many cases you are never allowed to own another laser.

please read and bump this thread:

http://laserpointerforums.com/f37/anyone-owning-pointer-larger-read-90838.html

IF you feel it is worthy of being stickied please contact a mod or admin about this-I would not feel comfy asking for this as I am the author of the OP..

I am 1000% sure that every member here needs to visit laserpointersafety.com and spend some hours reading there-- read everything about those arrested and the outcome-- For many this will be an eye-opener as way too many here are very ill-informed about this topic and thier 'rights' about shining lasers outdoors at night. you have NO rights zip zero nada-- you will never win any lawsuit or be found 'innocent' due to not knowing the law...

If 1000 members relay this info to 10 friends and so one the number of informed laser owners and those interested would learn a LOT and hopefully NOT the hard way...
remember -- if YOU hand your laser over to some idiot you are equally as stoopid (& liable)or more so!! &.. You should know better... hak

Last edited:
a 405nm with a visible beam in mid-low light conditions will also be able to burn

^^^ very true and even the
'not very visible' 405 beam may still be a quick burner-and thus not very safe for our eyes that do not see 405nm as being 'bright' and that means your pupils will be wide open and the lens in our eyes can magnifies the power by as much 100,000 times -- a real bad mix of conditions.

Remove double post or neg rep.

Also USA, don't just throw things out like that "remove double post or neg rep". You are making it sound like you are a cop monitoring LPF & hak is a well respected member on this forum.

-Alex

Last edited:
Who else was I rude to? I will apologize.

LASRFAQ in the thread on vision trouble, where you mentioned transition contacts. Telling him to read the thread was a bit rude, and his post was just in case someone got the wrong idea.

Who else was I rude to? I will apologize.

USAbro,

I sent you a PM on this but I really think you should take a minute & re-read your posts before you click the "Post Reply" button. Don't post something you wouldn't tell someone in their face. I don't think you would have told hak in his face:

"remove that comment or neg-rep" ;)

-Alex

FYI

'outdoors' NO laser is legal if shined at or even near
people-cars- aircraft etc. there is NO safe power maximum..- no mention of 5 mW being OK-

cops have no LPMs nor do pilots-- if it can be seen (by anyone)it is a bad thing-- If it can be seen as being aimed intentionally at aircraft it is a federal crime ( no longer 'just' a felony)-- You will likey get jail time, a fine and a criminal record- losing FOREVER your right to vote or own firearms and in many cases you are never allowed to own another laser.

please read and bump this thread:

http://laserpointerforums.com/f37/anyone-owning-pointer-larger-read-90838.html

IF you feel it is worthy of being stickied please contact a mod or admin about this-I would not feel comfy asking for this as I am the author of the OP..

I am 1000% sure that every member here needs to visit laserpointersafety.com and spend some hours reading there-- read everything about those arrested and the outcome-- For many this will be an eye-opener as way too many here are very ill-informed about this topic and thier 'rights' about shining lasers outdoors at night. you have NO rights zip zero nada-- you will never win any lawsuit or be found 'innocent' due to not knowing the law...

If 1000 members relay this info to 10 friends and so one the number of informed laser owners and those interested would learn a LOT and hopefully NOT the hard way...
remember -- if YOU hand your laser over to some idiot you are equally as stoopid (& liable)or more so!! &.. You should know better... hak

I appreciate the warnings and I sure didnt mean to stir up a hornets nest. I have read the laws for my state as well as federal laws.
I am a bit confused however with your reply. I fully understand harm reduction and the need for emphasis on laser safety but as a newcomer thats trying to comply and fit in to a new community your words sound like Ive said something to give you the impression I'm not being safe.
I am a moderator on another forum that harm reduction is a main intention and I understand how forum and online communities work. I also understand that when you are on a forum long enough its easy to become numb and frustrated with the endless newcomers that are doing all the wrong things. I hope I'm not that guy.

I understand this is a new world to me and I fully admit i am learning the importance of laser safety and seeing the problems that unsafe use is causing to this hobby. But I'm not some yahoo running around with a HP laser pointing it at people or aircraft. In fact I've been working with pilots and the FAA for a decade now and have had people nearly blind me with pointers doing demonstration parachute jumps for the public. I get it. I understand the importance and frustration of educating the mass's that don't seem interested in anyone but themselves and a good time. I have read the thread you linked and its a good one for all newcomers to read. Hope it gets stickied.

I appreciate peoples help here and yours as well. Just letting you know that as a newcomer it made me wonder if I'm doing something wrong but didn't have an explanation as to what or why.
Cheers

Threats really. Seriously?

EDIT: Oh wait, were you telling me which comment to remove or that you will neg rep me if I don't remove a comment?

I was telling you it's not well regarded on LPF to just throw out neg-rep, much less mention you will give someone negative reputation just because they double posted. Just ask them if they can remove the double post, that's all. Not a big deal if a member double posts on accident :beer:

-Alex

I'd say the best indoors is 532nm (or any Green) because you can see it far better than any other color. A low power green will have the most visible beam than any other so its the best choice.