Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What lights do you have?

erns

Just received.

Solarforce L2R with XP-E R5 SMO Reflector, 0.8V-4.2V, 3 mode.

Uses 2AA batteries.

Reverse clickie.

SolarforceL2R011.jpg

SolarforceL2R020.jpg

SolarforceL2R016.jpg

Solarforce L2R with XP-E R5 SMO Reflector, 3 mode @ 32' high setting

SolarforceL2R005.jpg

Last edited:

Yeah, I don't know about massive parasitic drain, but there is drain from the microprocessor. I don't recommend using standard 1.5 volt alkaline batts in any high end LED light, especially one that can handle 3.7 volts, I mean 1.5 vs. 3.7 ?...to me that's just a no brainer. I have found that using the 14500 LiOn 3.7 volt cell in the D11 and 16340 3.6 volt cell in the EX11 while unscrewing the head, (when not using for several weeks) not all the way, but just enough to disconnect contact with the cell, eliminates any drain all together.

The performance of these lights is much better with the 3.6 & 3.7 volt LiOn cells.

Last edited:
It's pretty massive. I'm talking 2-5mA in some cases, which is totally unacceptable. The D10 has under .2mA, which is still pretty high IMO. The parasitic drain decreases at higher voltages, which is why it works OK with Li-Ion batteries.

Also, NiMH offers basically the same performance as the best lithium 14500s at a much lower price, so many people prefer it.

Nitecore shouldn't advertise the light as being able to use AA batteries when the performance is so bad. And even though the D11 CAN take 4.2V, many 14500 batteries are too long! Many users have had to file down their pistons and clip their springs.

It's pretty massive. I'm talking 2-5mA in some cases, which is totally unacceptable. The D10 has under .2mA, which is still pretty high IMO. The parasitic drain decreases at higher voltages, which is why it works OK with Li-Ion batteries.

Also, NiMH offers basically the same performance as the best lithium 14500s at a much lower price, so many people prefer it.

Nitecore shouldn't advertise the light as being able to use AA batteries when the performance is so bad. And even though the D11 CAN take 4.2V, many 14500 batteries are too long! Many users have had to file down their pistons and clip their springs.

I have been using the Tenergy 14500 900mAh ($3.50 shipped on eBay) and have not had any problems with length.
Protected cells might be what you are referring to, their usually too long for any host.
I really think 2 to 5 mA of drain is exaggerated, even using alkalines.
The batt would be dead in a day.

Last edited:

erns

I like this light the Fenix LD15.

Starts in high not low. 2 levels.

You can get a 4Sevens Mini 1AA it's cheaper during the black friday and cyber monday sale. 4 Sevens Mini AA. CPF8 discount will be cheaper than the listed price.

It uses a XP-E Q5. 3 levels starts in low, med then high.

The Fenix LD15 uses a XP-G R4. I like this starts in high.

I have been using the Tenergy 14500 900mAh ($3.50 shipped on eBay) and have not had any problems with length.
Protected cells might be what you are referring to, their usually too long for any host.
I really think 2 to 5 mA of drain is exaggerated, even using alkalines.
The batt would be dead in a day.

Any light that claims 14500 compatibility should be able to fit protected cells. Non-protected cells are a danger to themselves and the user, especially when the D11 has no voltage cut off inside the safe discharge range of a Li cell.

Ray_of_Light; said:
I measured 2.4 mA of standby (or parasitic, which is very appropriate in this case) current.
It means that a freshly charged Duraloop lasts around 90 hours, or less than four days, with the light off.
At this point, I sincerely hope that my D11 is defective...
His D11 was not defective.

compasillo; said:
In a week or so it has drained off a fresh energizer L91. The light hasn't be used but
the cell is empty.

Ray_of_Light; said:
I conducted a voltage scan of the standby drain on the two D11 I have now.

At 1.2 volt, it draws 2.4 mA.
At 1.5 volt, it draws 2.0 mA.
At 3.0 volt, it draws 0.6 mA.
This shows the light should NOT be advertised as designed to use with a standard AA.

Por_NaCl; said:
I just buy a new Nitecore D11 and disappoint about parasitic drain 2.5 mA all the times. Even though the manufacturer tell that need to unscrew 1 turn when not in use for a long time.
He actually modified his light significantly (basically a complete driver re-design, with lots of tricky SMD soldering) to reduce parasitic drain, but all that showed is that the nitecore engineers did a bad job.
As aptly put by goldenlight, "You OBVIOUSLY know far more about the electronics of the D11 than the people who did such a HORRIBLE job of designing the circuits that do such a bad job of controlling this flashlight."

It's true, Por_NaCl did an incredible redesign job. Many props to him for that. However, even after fixing the driver the trade-off is loss of normal function.

There are other threads showing even higher parasitic drains, this is just from one thread.

Last edited:

erns

Got my Xeno E06

XenoE06002.jpg

XenoE06003.jpg

XenoE06005.jpg

XenoE06026.jpg

Xeno E06 @ 32' (High)

XenoE06047.jpg

Last edited:

erns

Erns whats the best website to get the Fenix AA lights?

I would check Amazon. Use the search, Fenix Flashlights.

I've found many good deals on Amazon, you just have to keep checking the prices. Once you see a good price order the light. If you wait even sometimes an hour the price can go up. I also look for the free shipping. The free shipping takes usually longer than if your say ordered from 4Sevens.

I always check the different dealers and figure out with the various CPF discounts with shipping or free shipping the lowest price. Usually the light maybe the same price or a few dollars more.

TTerbo

i want to buy a RGB 4sevens, and im wondering if i could spend lower than 100? are their ony other companies that make an RGB flashlight? or do you have one for sale inder $100,
im banned from CPF because i posted a link to my flashlight on youtube (my video)

4Sevens is the only company to produce an RGB light (there isn't enough of a market for anyone else to start). You could try to buy it used at a lower price, but probably only on CPF...

I just got a ferei W150 in today.
Manufacturer rated to 150 meter depth, 200 lumen output (but it is overspec by quite a bit) and I got it for ~$25.00 shipped.
Magnetic switch is a feature that I like too, I'm tempted to make it into a high powered 405nm very waterproof laser ^_^

erns

Got my Fenix LD15

FenixLD15001.jpg

FenixLD15004.jpg

Fenix LD15 @ 32'

FenicLD15004.jpg

Last edited: